EVGA

AnsweredEKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK

Author
gwas101
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/31 14:06:45 (permalink)
The TEC cooler DOES NOT WORK as of 12/31/2020. I received the cooler and installed it last night.
I updated to the latest BIOS from 12/18/2020.

The TEC is not picked up by the driver.

I thought Intel Cryo Cooling was available on ALL Z490 motherboards?

What is going on EVGA?
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30974
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:19:24 (permalink)
What BIOS Ver are you using ?

Ekwb PDF manual

can you see it in device manager - PDF link above page 16 & 17

Maybe - you can find some good info in this ?
QuantumX Delta TEC - Driver Issues : EKWB

https://www.reddit.com/r/EKWB/comments/knn7gb/quantumx_delta_tec_driver_issues/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:28:10 (permalink)
I am using BIOS version 1.10 released on 12/18/2020.

It does not appear in device manager.

I can find Ports(COM & LPT) when I show hidden devices, however it does not show the Silicon labs driver.

After installing the driver I get the successful install message, I restart PC and nothing.

Windows 10 does not pick up the TEC at all.

I have unplugged and re plugged the wires of the TEC multiple times to make sure a connection is not loose.

I have tried all of my USB headers on my motherboard.

I have tried using a USB-A cable instead of the bundled cable.

The red LED on the TEC is ON so I know its getting power.

gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:29:10 (permalink)
Cool GTX
What BIOS Ver are you using ?

can you see it in device manager - PDF link above page 16 & 17

Maybe - you can find some good info in this ?

Unfortunately that is my reddit post... no luck :(
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:34:10 (permalink)
So, it could be a BIOS setting ... maybe -  stopping the system from seeing the new hardware ?

Is Windows Fast startup turned off ?

Windows Pro, Home ... other ?  what Version number & OS Build number ?

Your logged in as Admin ?

Go - offline, stop all background software - Anti-Virus & try to reload the software as Admin

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:39:11 (permalink)

Which CPU do you have ?

Below is from the manual .. you downloaded Both software packs ?

After booting the system, you will see that Windows will recognize a new USB device.

Please check the device manager to check that you have the following device installed.If the device has a yellow bang (warning) showing that the driver is not installed, please click on Update Driver and Windows 10 will try to retrieve the USB driver and install it

If that doesn’t work please install the driver from the following link:• https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/software/CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver.zip

Note: if you don’t see the device in Device Manager please see the troubleshooting section

Please download the latest version of the software from the link below and run the installer•
https://downloadcenter.in...ryo-Cooling-Technology
Download Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology software

Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology

gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 14:56:57 (permalink)
Cool GTX
So, it could be a BIOS setting ... maybe -  stopping the system from seeing the new hardware ?

Is Windows Fast startup turned off ?

Windows Pro, Home ... other ?  what Version number & OS Build number ?

Your logged in as Admin ?

Go - offline, stop all background software - Anti-Virus & try to reload the software as Admin

I had reset my BIOS settings to default so fast boot was on.

I turned it off and rebooted, but still no dice.

Windows 10 Pro
Version - 20H2
OS Build - 19042.685
Intel 10900KF
EVGA Z490 FTW WIFI

I am logged in as Admin. Right click run as administrator on both the Driver install and Intel Cryo Software.

Cool GTX
Below is from the manual .. you downloaded Both software packs ?

After booting the system, you will see that Windows will recognize a new USB device.

Please check the device manager to check that you have the following device installed.If the device has a yellow bang (warning) showing that the driver is not installed, please click on Update Driver and Windows 10 will try to retrieve the USB driver and install it

If that doesn’t work please install the driver from the following link:•

Note: if you don’t see the device in Device Manager please see the troubleshooting section

Please download the latest version of the software from the link below and run the installer•

Download Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology software

Yes I downloaded both software packs. The Silicon Labs driver will successfully install, however it never picks up the TEC.

I can tell the Silicon labs drivers are available by going into Device Manager.
Clicking Action.
Add Legacy Hardware.
Install Hardware manually.
Click Ports(COM & LPT) and click next.
Scroll down the manufacturer list and find Silicon Labs.
Go to Model and choose Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge.

Now I can manually add the driver and it will appear in hidden devices under Ports(COM & LPT).

However it will have the yellow bang next to it and it says.. The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.
The Device cannot start (Code 10).

Right click on the Silicon labs driver and click update driver and it returns with Windows has determined that this is already the best driver.

Intel Cryo Cooling software - I can't even get this to install without the previous driver working correctly.
Once you hit install it returns an error message to please make sure all cables are connected securely before proceeding with software installation. Please exit installation and try again.

Also the EKWB manual claims to check the trouble shooting section multiple times... did you notice a trouble shooting section in the manual? Because I couldn't find one.
post edited by gwas101 - 2020/12/31 14:59:45
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 15:03:52 (permalink)
Last of my everything but the kitchen sink list

When installing ...are you getting several security alerts to be generated in Windows 10 ... "blocked program" ... you need to: check "Windows Security"

"Allow an App through Controlled folder access"

check the: "Recently blocked apps" ---> if you noticed a Security pop-up during the Software's install

Handy step by step how to:   Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access

turn Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

--------------------
With Windows 10 there is a new “hybrid” startup mode that should cut down on boot up times.

It does this by putting the PC into hibernation instead of "fully shutting down."

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 15:09:54 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2020/12/31 15:15:46
Cool GTX,

Thank you so much for helping me trouble shoot this issue. I was not expecting such fast and helpful advice. You're the man!

I have just received an email from EVGA themselves which explains the issue...

"Currently our z490 boards do not have the update for intel cryo technology as of yet, we are still working with our product management team and development team to see if this technology can be brought to our EVGA boards. we do appreciate your patience in the matter and we hope to have an official update very soon. 
Regards, EVGA"

Quite disappointed. Who would have thunk EVGA would be the slow man out of the gate with BIOS updates for new tech :(

The most I can say is that thank you EVGA and the EVGA community(Cool GTX) for being so quick to answer questions.
post edited by gwas101 - 2020/12/31 15:31:08
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 15:15:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gwas101 2020/12/31 15:47:12
Dang, needs an update   ... well EVGA looks to be working on it

Sorry I could not do more to get you running .. happy to try & help everyone

Have a Safe & Happy New Year

MackWage
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2020/12/31 20:37:37 (permalink)
Cross-post from the other related thread but sharing here for visibility. 

I am using the Cryo Cooler with my 490 Dark Kingpin just fine. Per the instruction manual, the only hard requirement of the motherboard for the cooler to work is physical clearance so the block can make a proper seal against it when mounted. The mentioned bios update is just to enable their thermal velocity boost overclocking as there is a cpu microcode update to do so. However if you're not looking to use that feature, then I am unsure what issue would be preventing you from using this. My 10900k at 5.2ghz all core is happily sitting at 19c on all cores thanks to this beautiful piece of tech. :) 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/01/01 12:17:45 (permalink)
MackWage
Cross-post from the other related thread but sharing here for visibility. 

I am using the Cryo Cooler with my 490 Dark Kingpin just fine. Per the instruction manual, the only hard requirement of the motherboard for the cooler to work is physical clearance so the block can make a proper seal against it when mounted. The mentioned bios update is just to enable their thermal velocity boost overclocking as there is a cpu microcode update to do so. However if you're not looking to use that feature, then I am unsure what issue would be preventing you from using this. My 10900k at 5.2ghz all core is happily sitting at 19c on all cores thanks to this beautiful piece of tech. :) 

I see you posted More details in this thread   https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3152623

gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:11:33 (permalink)
Update:

Still no BIOS update.

Still no update from EVGA on any progress.

Still no compatibility with z490 FTW.

Still a DOA product.

As the other poster said,  the z490 DARK has had compatibility all along... more expensive board gets the updates? No idea.

Unfortunately there is no such luck on my end.

MackWage
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:14:23 (permalink)
As long as the TEC shroud makes a good physical seal on your board, there is no hard requirement on the bios end for this to work unless you're really wanting to use Intel XTU's Thermal Velocity Boost OC settings. It may not be 'supported' per se but it should work just fine. 
gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:23:33 (permalink)
Well unfortunately it doesn't work just fine. I've been given the run around from Intel, EKWB and EVGA over this for awhile now.

Just to clarify, I work in IT, I am not a technology novice.

The driver, CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver installs fine.

I have checked, rechecked and re verified the connections on the TEC countless times.

8pin is in and solid. I double checked by replacing a graphics card 8 pin with the TEC 8 pin just to make sure it was getting power.

TEC thermal probe is plugged in snugly.

TEC power cable is plugged in snugly.

USB cable plugged into header produces red LED. / USB cable plugged into USB port also produces red LED.

The Intel software will not install. Every time I have tried the installer fails and asks you to re plug in the TEC, as it is not detected.

Go into the drivers I can see the CP210x Driver installed but unused.

I have gone back and forth with EK for months now. They claim the TEC is operating fine, that it is a software or driver issue.

Intel says its a BIOS issue.

EVGA says the board is not compatible and they will inform me if it ever becomes compatible, no estimated date.

And I have people on these forums saying, no it doesn't need to be supported, it should just work.

Well unfortunately it doesn't. I would love to hear from another person using a Z490 FTW motherboard instead of a Z490 DARK to see if it really is my specific TEC or if this motherboard just won't work.

Apologize if I come off as rude, this has just been a very frustrating experience.

MackWage
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:31:49 (permalink)
I would try extremely narrowing your scope of troubleshooting. Based on what you have shared, I agree it seems to be a driver or software issue. The TEC controller just uses a USB connection to connect to your motherboard so the controller not showing up in device manager at all is interesting IMO. If you checked your USB compatibility settings in bios? I.e. if you have USB legacy compatibility disabled, try enabling it? Have you tried connecting any other device to that same USB header with the same cable to see if it is detected? 

You should be able to try these things without the associated waterblock even being installed.. just have the power and USB connection on the TEC controller. I left my controller installed when I switched to an Optimus Signature v2 block and the Intel software detected and would just tell me the controller isn't connected to the block. 
MackWage
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:34:08 (permalink)
If der8auer can get it working on an AMD cpu, surely we can get it to work on the FTW :) 
gwas101
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:39:59 (permalink)
I have tried multiple USB ports (all of which work normally), always get the red LED, but Windows does not detect the TEC.

I've also tried all of the internal headers, however I have not tested these normally, as I have the motherboard in a test bench with no USB ports.

I have tried disabling / re enabling the USB legacy compatibility, neither option changes anything.

I can manually add the Silicon Labs driver using Device manager after install.  (Add legacy hardware, Ports (COM & LPT), choose the Silicon Labs CP210x Universal driver and install.)
Now the driver actually shows up under Ports(COM & LPT).... but that's the extent of it. Win 10 never picks up the TEC from usb.

MackWage
If der8auer can get it working on an AMD cpu, surely we can get it to work on the FTW :) 

A man can dream...
MackWage
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 14:44:49 (permalink)
Darn.... have you tried reinstalling the USB controller drivers? 
jonkrmr
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 952
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/11 15:53:48 (permalink)
Possibly DOA unit to begin with?

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
MSI MEG Z490 Unify
Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
SoundBlasterX AE-5 
EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
DEJ915
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 544
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/12 10:40:14 (permalink)
MackWage

He used an Asus board with 10900K to use the software and control it.
MackWage
Superclocked Member
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/12 12:26:01 (permalink)
I know.. I was simply trying to lighten the mood.. 
pmclean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2021/02/25 18:14:41 (permalink)

MackWage

I doubt the OP is willing to use a completely separate motherboard just to control the TEC like der8auer. 

Current Build Direct die 10900KF w/Grizzly LM w/Optimus V2 Sig Block on an ASUS Maximus XII Apex, 32 GB 4000MT/s Cl 15 G.Skill Trident Z Royal RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 KingPin w/Optimus Waterblock, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/Optimus Absolute Waterblock, EVGA 1600W G+ PSU, 2 x Corsair MP510 960GB M.2 RAID0, 2 x WD Blue 1 TB SSD RAID0, 2 x 6TB WD Red Pro 7200RPM HDD RAID0, EVGA Nu Audio Card, Lian Li Strimer Plus 3x8 Pin & 24 Pin, Corsair 7000D White Case, 7 x Lian Li SL140 Fans, Corsair XD7 Distro Plate w/Xylem D5 Pump, Samsung 55" QN90A, Samsung c49RG9 Ultrawide Monitor, HyperX Cloud Orbit Headphones, Sony AV Reciever STR-DN 1080, KEF Q Series 5.1 Speakers, Glorious Model D Gaming Mouse,  SteelSeries Apex Pro KB, Corsair MM300 XL & MM350 XL Gaming Mouse Pad, Vartan Gaming Chair, APC Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, MO-RA3 420 w/ 2 x WCP D5-Vario Pumps w/HeatKiller D5-TOP, PrimoChill RevolverSX UV Pink Rigid Fittings.

98AMcFadden
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: EKWB QuantumX Delta TEC and EVGA Z490 FTW - DOES NOT WORK 2022/08/25 20:01:09 (permalink)
Any update on this? I purchased the Z690 Kingpin board and EKWB's new Z690 TEC cooler and it will not work.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile