EVGA

NEWB: Help connect EVGA BG 600 to Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Author
MavenPA
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/20 06:49:07 (permalink)
So the last time I built a PC was over 20 years ago (Pentium days) and, my oh my, have things changed since then :) Now trying to help my 14yo son build his first gaming PC. We have a Gigabyte z390 Designare system board, an EVGA BQ 600 PS, Intel i7, and will eventually (hopefully) source a 2060 Super or 3060 GPU. All goes in a Lian Li LAN COOL II box.

My current need is to better understand how to connect the EVGA BQ PS to the system board. The main pigtail from the PS has a 20+4 which obviously connects to the 24pin (ATX_12V_2X2) on the system board. The other pigtail from the PS has 2 4pin connectors. Not sure where these go and not sure what I will need to do when we get the GPU.

The system board also has an 8pin connector (ATX_12V_2X4) and another 4pin (ATX_12V_2X2) - do I insert the two 4pin connectors from the PS into the 8 pin connector? If yes, what is the other 4pin connector for (the documentation is not clear)? Can I screw up orientation or do they only fit one way?

Given we plan on using only one GPU, I assume that we won't need to power the PEG (PCIe Power Connector)?

And once we finally get a GPU, I connect the 1 x PCI-E 8(6+2)-Pin x 2 from the VGA port directly to the GPU card, correct?
And the SATA cable goes directly from PS to SATA HD? (my last build used IDE drives, ribbon cables, etc.).

Thanks in advance for helping this old newbie out in a time of need!
post edited by MavenPA - 2020/12/20 06:54:23

2 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: NEWB: Help connect EVGA BG 600 to Gigabyte Z390 Designare 2020/12/20 10:53:31 (permalink)
    Q: Do I insert the two 4pin connectors from the PS into the 8 pin connector? If yes, what is the other 4pin connector for (the documentation is not clear)? Can I screw up orientation or do they only fit one way?
    A: Yes, the two 4-pin CPU connectors fit side-by-side in the mobo 8-pin socket and only fit one way..The other 4-pin mobo CPU socket is for additional power for CPU overclocking stability, you can leave it unplugged unless you overclock the CPU/have stability issues.

Q: Given we plan on using only one GPU, I assume that we won't need to power the PEG (PCIe Power Connector)?
    A: Correct.

Q: And once we finally get a GPU, I connect the 1 x PCI-E 8(6+2)-Pin x 2 from the VGA port directly to the GPU card, correct?
    A: Correct.

Q: And the SATA cable goes directly from PS to SATA HD?
    A: Correct

Good luck on your new build, and welcome to the forums..Be sure to read the Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members sometime, lots of good info there for you.
    post edited by bob16314 - 2020/12/20 10:56:12

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

MavenPA
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NEWB: Help connect EVGA BG 600 to Gigabyte Z390 Designare 2020/12/20 12:24:13 (permalink)
    Wow THANK YOU for the comprehensive and prompt response! Most appreciated!

Sadly, I now have another problem in my way... the Lian Li LanCoool II case apparently is ARGB (has 3 pin connector, 4 pin wide with one blocked) and the Gigabyte z390 Designare only has a 4 pin header. The Lian Li website says "ATTENTION: Make sure you connect the header to the 3 pin header on the motherboard otherwise unrepairable damage will occur".

Off to try and hunt down the answer to this one, Lian Li does not have a forum.

UPDATE: I now realize that the Lian Li case is ARGB (5v) and the Gigabyte system board is RGB (12V). Not sure what the best workaround is, looking at adding a Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Hub though not clear how/if that will effect use of the cases top buttons to control lights.

From the Lian Li "booklet":
    post edited by MavenPA - 2020/12/20 16:25:12

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile