EVGA

System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU)

Author
mayatola
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/16 12:56:55 (permalink)
My brother recently purchased an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 PSU, and for the most part, everything seemed to be fine. Lately though, at night, my brother's system will just shut off when trying to game. On idle, everything is fine, the system always boots fine. The problem only started when my brother got this new PSU, although he got it around the time it started to get cold here in Socal (if that makes any difference at all). Does anyone know where else we could troubleshoot? We have tried testing the voltage on our outlets (my brother is an apprentice electrician) and they seem fine, though for a while, it did help to switch which outlet we plugged his system into (but now it doesn't matter and it is always shutting off his system). Also, there is no overclocking or anything going on, all stock settings.

CPU: R7 3700X
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VIII Wifi (X570)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3200
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5

I know for sure that there is no overheating issue. Also, while playing Cyberpunk 2077, if it started up okay, he will be fine until he goes into a menu. If he sits in the menu for too long (crafting or whatever) and the system power drops to near idle, when he goes back in game, the shutdown occurs. Would it be a problem with the PSU or something else? Thanks so much for your time guys.

20 Replies Related Threads

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/20 21:51:41 (permalink)
    So stupid me, I only plugged in the single 8 pin EPS when there is actually 8 plus another 4 pin socket. After plugging in the 4 pin EPS, it hasn't shut down in the last 3 days. I think this is now solved, but I'll leave this up as a lesson for anyone who might have a similar issue.

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/25 13:54:05 (permalink)
    Hm, so after about a week of stability, my brother's system shut down again. But just a couple of days ago, I gave him my EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra to replace his 2070 Super (everything else remains the same as above). Could this be a result of the power supply or would it be something else? My brother says that the shut down behavior changed. Normally when he would expect a shut down, instead it is replaced by a black screen for about a second before the system resumes normally. But yesterday (a day after giving him my 2080 Ti), he had a shut down that happened in a manner different than he would expect it (after entering a menu when system power drops rather than leaving the menu and going back in game when system power increases again).

I dunno if I'm missing something but does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing the shut downs? Is it the power supply or the motherboard? What should I check?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/25 14:27:56 (permalink)
    I’d try a different psu. I’d also check for overheating.
    mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/25 15:06:22 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'm not sure when I'll be able to test it with another psu, but for sure we can rule out overheating. Everything is below 70C and his ambient room temp in winter right now is about 21C (just about 70F). His case is the Corsair 465X which actually has pretty decent airflow.

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 01:42:34 (permalink)
    Just to reiterate, it only appears to shut down at night (and recently, since it started getting cold). Would anyone know of a reason why that could be? At first it used to happen anytime after 9pm, but now it is only happening around midnight. Anyway, the only other thing I can think of that might have any effect is that I lowered the voltage of the CPU from 1.45v (default super high Ryzen voltage) to 1.4v. This has never caused any problems in the past, but I dunno, I'm sure one of you guys knows better than me.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 08:34:32 (permalink)
    mayatola
    Just to reiterate, it only appears to shut down at night (and recently, since it started getting cold). Would anyone know of a reason why that could be? At first it used to happen anytime after 9pm, but now it is only happening around midnight. Anyway, the only other thing I can think of that might have any effect is that I lowered the voltage of the CPU from 1.45v (default super high Ryzen voltage) to 1.4v. This has never caused any problems in the past, but I dunno, I'm sure one of you guys knows better than me.

Im sure the time is inconsequential really other than thats when you seem to be using the rig for a specific task. Other than virus'/malware/bitcoin miner malware it may be someone hacked into your internet/network. Try setting your ram timings manually and give them one tick higher of voltage. Then make the command rate at the bottom of all the timings listed a 2. Save and reboot.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 08:42:57 (permalink)
    Aren't there rolling brown outs in California ?  -  could be the problem

You are saying it's only at night. .. which could also be the power grid in your area gets overstressed when everyone in the area comes home from work & starts powering up everything. 
    That would register as a power fluctuation & some units flash off as a protection of too high or too low of a reading  in voltage.

Are you guys plugged into the same breaker line from your house. the draw of 2 units could be too much load on the house line and one or the other unit has to give .

..or it could be as simple as the psu is going bad / getting weak from use or age .

Good luck

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30982
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 08:55:57 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    Aren't there rolling brown outs in California ?  -  could be the problem

You are saying it's only at night. .. which could also be the power grid in your area gets overstressed when everyone in the area comes home from work & starts powering up everything. 
    That would register as a power fluctuation & some units flash off as a protection of too high or too low of a reading  in voltage.

Are you guys plugged into the same breaker line from your house. the draw of 2 units could be too much load on the house line and one or the other unit has to give .

..or it could be as simple as the psu is going bad / getting weak from use or age .

Good luck

+1

If the member is Not using a UPS ... then maybe it is related to manual switching happening by the power utility .... just that quick interruption -usually seen as lights flickering or quick off/on

There was some server testing once .... seems the security guard standing next to the servers at night & keying the mic cause them to shut down ... was finally figured-out when some engineers had to babysit the servers all night

Could be something strange ... some high energy demand or electrical noise ... say when your heater kicks On

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 10:14:48 (permalink)
    If you replaced another modular PSU, make sure you are not using the modular cables from the previous one. Those cables are not universal and they can fit but cause some issues. Also make sure to disconnect any extra hard drives, only the primary drive with the OS.

Measure your 12v rail with something like PC wizard, watch your voltage under load, if it dips much under 12v you should consult EVGA support about an RMA.
    post edited by RainStryke - 2020/12/28 10:17:15

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/28 12:40:13 (permalink)
    mayatola
    So stupid me, I only plugged in the single 8 pin EPS when there is actually 8 plus another 4 pin socket.

That's crazy.  The extra 4 is not necessary.  Or, maybe you are using LN2 cooling and 3.0 volts core voltage on the CPU on your off-time? 

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/29 13:06:44 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

As for the shutdowns only at night, it is only happening during gaming, but it was only happening while gaming late at night. But yesterday, it did happen earlier than 9pm or midnight (happened around 7pm). We don't have any heater kicking in at night or anything either, but the problem seemed to go away for a while when we changed to a different outlet (which is also on another breaker, our electrical wiring is very odd in our old house, it's also aluminum, not copper).

I will try to measure the 12v rail as that isn't something I even looked at yet. One thing I forgot to mention is that I manually set his voltage on his CPU because I heard that X570 boards have the voltage set too high by default (his was 1.45v). I set it to 1.4v but I set it manually, not as an offset, and I didn't touch LLC. I'm not so much of an expert on this stuff but I think that might be a problem, so I reverted the CPU voltage back to default, and so far, the certain situations that cause the shutdown has stopped. I guess the next few days to a week will tell if that was the problem, but I will check the 12v rail in the meantime as well to see if it isn't the PSU.

As for that extra 4 pin, yeah, I don't know why it seemed to have stopped the shutdowns for a while. Yes, I know that it shouldn't be necessary for stock operations, especially for the 3700X, but now it doesn't seem to matter as they started happening again. The shutdowns used to happen (for other games like The Division 2) when he tried to start up the game, but now it only happens in Cyberpunk, and only after sitting in the inventory/crafting menu for longer than a few minutes and then trying to get back in game. *edit: checked the 12v and it is 12.096v, so I guess it's ok. The PSU is pretty new (purchased around 4-5 months ago).

I will give another update, but I think you all so much for your support! Hope you guys have a safe and happy New Year!
    post edited by mayatola - 2020/12/29 13:26:24

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2020/12/31 05:01:37 (permalink)
    mayatola
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!

As for the shutdowns only at night, it is only happening during gaming, but it was only happening while gaming late at night. But yesterday, it did happen earlier than 9pm or midnight (happened around 7pm). We don't have any heater kicking in at night or anything either, but the problem seemed to go away for a while when we changed to a different outlet (which is also on another breaker, our electrical wiring is very odd in our old house, it's also aluminum, not copper).

I will try to measure the 12v rail as that isn't something I even looked at yet. One thing I forgot to mention is that I manually set his voltage on his CPU because I heard that X570 boards have the voltage set too high by default (his was 1.45v). I set it to 1.4v but I set it manually, not as an offset, and I didn't touch LLC. I'm not so much of an expert on this stuff but I think that might be a problem, so I reverted the CPU voltage back to default, and so far, the certain situations that cause the shutdown has stopped. I guess the next few days to a week will tell if that was the problem, but I will check the 12v rail in the meantime as well to see if it isn't the PSU.

As for that extra 4 pin, yeah, I don't know why it seemed to have stopped the shutdowns for a while. Yes, I know that it shouldn't be necessary for stock operations, especially for the 3700X, but now it doesn't seem to matter as they started happening again. The shutdowns used to happen (for other games like The Division 2) when he tried to start up the game, but now it only happens in Cyberpunk, and only after sitting in the inventory/crafting menu for longer than a few minutes and then trying to get back in game. *edit: checked the 12v and it is 12.096v, so I guess it's ok. The PSU is pretty new (purchased around 4-5 months ago).

I will give another update, but I think you all so much for your support! Hope you guys have a safe and happy New Year!

Being your issues started when your bro got the new psu, that doesnt bode well for the PSU or its installer. If he used the wiring from the old psu, even if its same brand and model, it may still be a problem. You have to check the model/serial number with the company and make sure its the same cause some company will switch OEM's for a variety of reasons in the middle of a units marketable life, unfortunately. Other than that, i didnt know you guys were having rolling blackouts either, that certainly will not be good for the PSU....any PSU.
      Yes, your 12v rail is giving a good reading,BUT was that taken with a multimeter or did you get it through the mobo bios or thru a app on the Windows desktop? The software reading can be quite a bit off and you also cant watch in real time as you stress the PC and see how its fluctuating. The multimeter solves those issues. So we can guess for the time being, if it wasnt a multimeter read, that youre close to 12v and good at desktop/idle.The ATX spec for good on the 12v rail is between 11.6 and 12.4, i believe. Does your house have 3 prong outlets? Is the house wiring grounded from the mains box?
      Cyberpunk has alot of issues so dont use that to judge anything at all, use a benchmark utility, like Cinebench or Geekbench for cpu and 3dmark for gpu, since most of them have had the bugs worked out and are good across many hardware combos. Of course you can just use any of your games that you have installed already and use MSI Afterburner to record the cpu/gpu/ram/ssd/hdd use/temps/voltages while you play for a few mins and get a custom stress result for the games you play. Hope this helps some and have a great New Year too!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/02 10:22:34 (permalink)
    Ugh, spoke too soon. Still having shutdown issues and I guess I have to check the PSU. Will have to go to Micro Center and try a replacement I guess. As for the cables, I never kept any old cables. The power supply is the SuperNOVA 850 G5, and I'm using these cables: https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=100-NK-1601-B9
    post edited by mayatola - 2021/01/02 13:07:56

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/02 16:53:00 (permalink)
    Here are some troubleshooting steps i'd recommend:
    • Make sure DOCH is enabled. Some XMP RAM (DOCH for AMD) will not function properly if it's not configured with the XMP profile that provides a higher voltage and timings it was stress tested on.
    • Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on the motherboard, there might be some stability fixes.
    • Check your hard drives. I've had a faulty platter drive cause shut downs, also not sure the age of the SSD but solid state drives have a read/write capacity. Like my Samsung 970 EVO 1TB has a 600TBW rating, which means after 600 terabytes of data has been written to the drive, it's considered end of life by the manufacture.
    • Make sure the motherboard is properly seated on the case stand-offs.

post edited by RainStryke - 2021/01/02 16:57:10

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/02 17:27:09 (permalink)
    RainStryke

They already figured it out.  The CPU was undervolted too low.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/02 17:51:27 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the suggestion guys. I made sure the RAM has the proper settings enabled and the BIOS is the most current version. As for storage, it is an M.2 NVMe (1TB Kingston) for the OS and games and a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD for media and emulation. Also, motherboard is properly seated as well.

As for the shutdowns, I thought it was undervolted CPU, but there was another shutdown today. So I just got a new PSU from Best Buy to test. If all goes well, I'll have to RMA the EVGA 850 G5. So far, certain transitions that used to cause the shutdowns (or strange flickering) are completely smooth. Hopefully that was it and my brother and I can finally put this one behind us. I'll be sure to update soon.

mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/14 20:02:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the help everyone. It was a bad power supply. We got it replaced and things are working again.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2021/01/15 15:25:51 (permalink)
    👍
    magman687
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2022/02/19 17:32:10 (permalink)
    So I know this is an old post but I'm going through the same issue right now with the same power supply my overcurrent protection is kicking in and only wild gaming some lights stay on and my water cooling pump stays on as well but everything else shuts down and the only way to get my computer to start back up again if the turn the power off and back which resets the power supply protections and then I can turn it back on again just like nothing ever happened.

EVGA sent me a new power supply but it was the exact same type of power supply and it still happens I'm just curious if you replaced it with a different power supply or if it was the exact same power supply.
    By the way I'm running a 5900 X and an EVGA ftw3 Ultra 3080.
    Sometimes I can go a couple weeks without it happening and then nights like tonight at happened three times within two hours.

I don't know why the overvoltage protection is kicking in.

I guess my main question again was did you replace it with a different power supply or was it just another Supernova 850 G5 and thank you.
    mayatola
    Re: System shuts off on gaming load only at night (850 G5 PSU) 2022/02/19 19:43:38 (permalink)
    Hi, sorry you are having that problem. We had to get a new power supply altogether. We ended up getting the Corsair RMx 850. It's been over a year with no problem. The replacement power supply that we got from the RMA we just ended up selling. I hope that will be the end of your problem as well. Good luck.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile