X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2020/05/21 20:18:57 (permalink)
PINKTULIP
EVGA was wrong to put CMOS Battery in a location that not only Mobo need to remove[If installed already]but remove other bunch of Screws to get to it!!!This is very inconvenient for anybody.

Amen!
ssingh2apr
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/26 10:46:33 (permalink)
It's almost 2021, thought EVGA must have focused on battery issue going on from last couple of years and didn't check CMOS battery.

After finishing my build, I am getting CMOS checksum error (new X299 dark mobo), once I turnoff PSU. If PSU is ON, I can shutdown/restart my PC without any issues. HWMonitor shows Vbat - 3.136V which I believe is not correct.

Does anyone have suggestions before I start my long weekend with complete disassembly of my pc?

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/26 10:55:00 (permalink)
ssingh2apr
It's almost 2021, thought EVGA must have focused on battery issue going on from last couple of years and didn't check CMOS battery.

After finishing my build, I am getting CMOS checksum error (new X299 dark mobo), once I turnoff PSU. If PSU is ON, I can shutdown/restart my PC without any issues. HWMonitor shows Vbat - 3.136V which I believe is not correct.

Does anyone have suggestions before I start my long weekend with complete disassembly of my pc?

Purpose of the CMOS battery is to keep CMOS settings when PSU is off. If they weren't successfully kept you will get CMOS checksum error. Is this a brand new build, that setup was not checked as fine before? If yes it is possible your battery is dead. Only way to say with certainty is by checking its voltage with multimeter. If you don't have one I would personally replace battery as very first step and start troubleshooting only if battery replacement doesn't work.

Be careful when removing shroud. Check out my experience here X299 Dark Shroud from Hell - EVGA Forums for details.

Happy Thanksgiving!
post edited by ZoranC - 2020/11/26 11:00:33
ssingh2apr
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/26 11:03:01 (permalink)
ZoranC
ssingh2apr

Purpose of the CMOS battery is to keep CMOS settings when PSU is off. If they weren't successfully kept you will get CMOS checksum error. Is this a brand new build, that setup was not checked as fine before? If yes it is possible your battery is dead. Only way to say with certainty is by checking its voltage with multimeter. If you don't have one I would personally replace battery as very first step and start troubleshooting only if battery replacement doesn't work.

Be careful when removing shroud. Check out my experience here  for details.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for your prompt reply!!

Yes, its a brand new build. Going to replace battery this weekend and see if problem goes away.

snadger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/26 11:41:38 (permalink)
Just an add to the thread after research on this board, which I think is fabulous, after I received my X299 Dark, brand new but stuck on a shelf somewhere not selling, I replaced battery anyways, for like a quid, it's pointless not to do it, gonna do this for every motherboard I ever get in future because it is so easy to forget to check the basics firsts.
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/26 11:47:00 (permalink)
ssingh2apr
ZoranC
ssingh2apr

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, its a brand new build. Going to replace battery this weekend and see if problem goes away.

You are welcome :) I have a feeling they most likely will go away once you replace the battery. On my first X299 mb I didn't check battery before the build because I wasn't aware of the issue and there were no symptoms. However, on my second one I was aware of it so moment I saw symptoms I stopped further work, checked the battery and it was as dead as it can get at 0.00V.
ssingh2apr
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/27 12:57:11 (permalink)
ZoranC
ssingh2apr
ZoranC
ssingh2apr

Happy Thanksgiving!

You are welcome :) I have a feeling they most likely will go away once you replace the battery. On my first X299 mb I didn't check battery before the build because I wasn't aware of the issue and there were no symptoms. However, on my second one I was aware of it so moment I saw symptoms I stopped further work, checked the battery and it was as dead as it can get at 0.00V.

After putting 3+ hours again , I was able to change the battery and CMOS checksum error disappeared.

ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" ----> DEAD CMOS Battery 2020/11/27 13:14:13 (permalink)
ssingh2apr
ZoranC
ssingh2apr
ZoranC
ssingh2apr

Happy Thanksgiving!

After putting 3+ hours again , I was able to change the battery and CMOS checksum error disappeared.

I'm sorry to hear you too had had to waste your time because of this but I'm glad to hear it is now resolved.
Xinoxide
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 13:55:57 (permalink)
I am currently having this issue, I have tried a number of new in package CR2032's I have, but my issue is only occurring anywhere between -85c - 115c on bios x005 for CLX.

It also seems to happen only when I change setting in the OC menu. I've also sent my findings to vince. Im also wondering have there been other issues besides the 2032's?

I've changed things one menu at a time with great success until I change ANYTHING on the OC menu I lose it all.

Plan is to let the system dry out, grab some off the shelf 2032's and try again. just spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot an issue that only happens when the boards at temps that should be tearing this 10980xe a frozen new one. :\
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 14:08:39 (permalink)
Xinoxide
I am currently having this issue, I have tried a number of new in package CR2032's I have, but my issue is only occurring anywhere between -85c - 115c on bios x005 for CLX.

It also seems to happen only when I change setting in the OC menu. I've also sent my findings to vince. Im also wondering have there been other issues besides the 2032's?

I've changed things one menu at a time with great success until I change ANYTHING on the OC menu I lose it all.

Plan is to let the system dry out, grab some off the shelf 2032's and try again. just spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot an issue that only happens when the boards at temps that should be tearing this 10980xe a frozen new one. :\

When you say BIOS x005 which version of BIOS you exactly have in mind?

Also, are you saying you are hitting 115C? Isn't TJMax for 10980Xe 85C? What do you have your TJMax in BIOS set at?
Xinoxide
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 15:52:16 (permalink)
Im sorry, NEGATIVE 115C.

Also, I did get myself a bit of resolution, the battery mine came with, dead, the ones I have here are all under 2.6v, working fine in ambient, not when subzero.

I 'put' a pair of 1.5v batteries together for 3.1v~ and....

Managed to get some cold testing in at 5.7GHz. She sits there now hopefully with more room later when I return with fresh CR2032's.

I was just kind of frantically trying to find a possible solution posting in here. 10980xe was -100c while I tried to troubleshoot. and it was only happening cold.

x000x bios are XOC, for x299 dark specifically this means no Spectre/meltdown protection and your performance back.
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 16:13:02 (permalink)
Xinoxide
... the ones I have here are all under 2.6v, working fine in ambient, not when subzero.

As far as I know any CR2032 battery that is only 2.6V doesn't have much life left in it DURACELL-PROCELL-PC2032-DATASHEET.pdf (yimg.com) so even though they might seem "fine" at ambient they can be considered practically dead.

Also, capacity of any battery (even the brand new one) gets severely reduced at very low temperatures, to the point of your cell phone / camera not having enough juice to start / function properly and battery that seems to be far from new will behave even worse.
Xinoxide
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 16:17:16 (permalink)
ZoranC
Xinoxide
... the ones I have here are all under 2.6v, working fine in ambient, not when subzero.

As far as I know any CR2032 battery that is only 2.6V doesn't have much life left in it  so even though they might seem "fine" at ambient they can be considered practically dead.

Also, capacity of any battery (even the brand new one) gets severely reduced at very low temperatures, to the point of your cell phone / camera not having enough juice to start / function properly and battery that seems to be far from new will behave even worse.

Basically what I experienced to a T.

The ones I have may charge back up, but not doing that at -100c in this dark. Appreciate you being here to help. :]

Catch ya later. You'll see my climb on the leaderboards starting closer to end of year.
ZoranC
FTW Member
Re: X299 DARK - hard boot, getting "CMOS checksum error" 2021/02/07 16:24:51 (permalink)
Xinoxide
You'll see my climb on the leaderboards starting closer to end of year.

I wish you meteoric rise :)
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile