EVGA

NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers?

Author
Digital_Fuzion
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 630
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/11/12 20:47:01 (permalink)
How will NVLINK benefit gamers in the future? Or is that dead already? And why did NVIDIA heavily depend on game developers to support SLI to begin with? I assumed NVLINK fixed this problem by stacking both VRAM and GPU power into one source from both cards to scale graphics. It appears NVIDIA's future is now based on single GPU architecture.
post edited by Digital_Fuzion - 2020/11/12 20:49:05

9 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/11/12 21:14:02 (permalink)
    Digital_Fuzion
    How will NVLINK benefit gamers in the future? Or is that dead already? And why did NVIDIA heavily depend on game developers to support SLI to begin with? I assumed NVLINK fixed this problem by stacking both VRAM and GPU power into one source from both cards to scale graphics. It appears NVIDIA's future is now based on single GPU architecture.

Well it wasn't entirely Nvidia that's to blame for killing SLI, part of that has to do with Microsoft and DX12 giving lower to the GPU access to hardware functions. It was supposed to be better for multi GPU systems and in theory it is, but the onus is on the developers to create multi GPU support. As is widely known, developers will not waste precious resources and time coding for something that almost no one uses. So without direct support from either AMD or Nvidia, mGPU modes are often disregarded almost entirely. 

As for NVLink for consumer cards it was never pooled VRAM access. NVLink on Geforce cards works pretty much the same as SLI did on previous generations. The NVLink just offers much higher bandwidth and a lower latency interconnect. All data in one GPU's VRAM banks must also be mirrored in the others. VRAM pooling was and still is only supported for Quadro cards. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/11/12 22:59:54 (permalink)
    Looking pretty dead atm, but it could come back if developers will implement sli natively.

Digital_Fuzion
    And why did NVIDIA heavily depend on game developers to support SLI to begin with?

Nvidia provided all the sli profiles themselves until DX12 came along, and prevented nvidia's old techniques from working that allowed sli to work under DX9, 10 & 11 games.

No big deal as game developers are able to implement SLI support natively within the game itself with DX12 & Vulkan instead of relying upon a SLI driver profile. The expertise of the game developer within their own code allows them to achieve the best possible performance from multiple GPUs instead of relying on old techniques such as AFR (Alternate Frame Rending) which introduce non-uniform flip intervals (microstutter), Interframe dependencies (possible corruption), & Input latency which does not reduce with increased performance. Nvidia says they will focus efforts on supporting developers to implement SLI natively inside the games via Frame Pipelining a new feature of DX12 which didn't exist in DX11 and isn't limited to AFR as they believe this will provide the best performance for SLI users. 
    neodinardo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/06 21:26:28 (permalink)
    I’d rather have a bigger dual GPU card for one slot vs SLI.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/07 02:58:55 (permalink)
    neodinardo
    I’d rather have a bigger dual GPU card for one slot vs SLI.

Dual GPU cards still use SLI technology to function.
    CausticEd
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/13 23:58:15 (permalink)
    I would love for the SLI to work for me, but I am not sure if I can make two work from a heat perspective.  Have folks found heat to be an issue?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/14 05:07:58 (permalink)
    CausticEd
    I would love for the SLI to work for me, but I am not sure if I can make two work from a heat perspective.  Have folks found heat to be an issue?

Heat has always been an issue with SLI.  That is why I go with watercooling rather than air cooling.  The other option, with a large enough case, you could always go with Hybrid cards which would allow the heat to be pumped out of the case.  

As for Air Cooled Cards, I wouldn't SLI any of these cards on a motherboard with 3 slot spacing.  That would leave the card with .25 - .5 of breathing room, which just isn't enough for these air cooled cards.
    jayrwar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/14 19:08:59 (permalink)
    Bit of a bummer
    QingFengX
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2020/12/15 10:18:09 (permalink)
    SLI is hard
    whyamihereagain
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: NVIDIA SLI is dead in the water. How will NVLINK benefit the next generation of gamers 2021/01/05 19:43:15 (permalink)
    I still love SLI but yeah a bummer
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile