AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/10/30 11:14:45 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/amd-is-developing-an-alternative-to-nvidias-dlss/

Speaking during the RX 6000 unveiling event, AMD’s Scott Herkelman explained that Super Resolution will give “gamers an option for more performance when using ray tracing”. Outside of that though, further details weren’t shared but fortunately, The Verge were able to get some more details on this.

Speaking with the site, an AMD representative confirmed that Super Resolution is in development as an open/cross-platform technology to bring a performance boost to games using ray-tracing. It is also said that this feature is expected to get “strong industry support” but unfortunately, it won’t be ready in time for the RX 6000 series launch on November 18th. It seems more likely that this feature will begin rolling out in 2021.

It will interesting to see if AMD's software will be better than NVIDIA's DLSS.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/10/30 11:44:39 (permalink)
    An open/cross-platform technology could drive more innovation - if it is well received

Wonder how it will be different than: 

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-010

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

mobhill
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 189
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/10/30 11:47:23 (permalink)
    I like the "open/cross-platform" part, we'll see how that works out. Nvidia was eventually forced to yield a little bit on G-sync when people weren't buying the G-sync monitors because they were too expensive vs. the Freesync alternative, so maybe they will make headway here too, we'll see.
    Viper453
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/10/30 18:07:03 (permalink)
    AMD have a solution for Tenser Cores yet? Tensor Cores delivering up to 110 teraflops of dedicated AI horsepower, the DLSS network can be run in real-time simultaneously with an intensive 3D game.

MIS 4090 Trio 
    i9 10900K
    EVGA 1600 P+
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 3200 mhz cas 14 32gb
    OS drive 960 pro 2 tb
    2x EVO 860 4TB 
    Monitor ROG PQ32UQX / LG C2 "65

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/10/30 19:15:09 (permalink)
    Part of why I am waiting for the reviews of the 6900 is because of the “see endnotes RX-567” for all we know the 6900 benchmarks could have been with this technology being demonstrated.

The other thing people should realize is we haven’t seen this technology. DLSS wasn’t great first generation and left games looking like you smeared vasoline on the screen. Now DLSS 2.0 is great looking but who knows what this technology looks like for image quality. It’s something that will still be unknown until 2021 but rush and buy one on November 18th....

Just saying if you looked at the press release for the 2080Ti and DLSS benchmarks for Battlefield you would be excited. Probably far less excited when you enabled it before the first patch.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ehabash1
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/10/31 08:53:24 (permalink)
    mobhill
    I like the "open/cross-platform" part, we'll see how that works out. Nvidia was eventually forced to yield a little bit on G-sync when people weren't buying the G-sync monitors because they were too expensive vs. the Freesync alternative, so maybe they will make headway here too, we'll see.

I doubt it could outperform the machine learning that nvidia uses. The whole gsync/freesync thing is different in the sense that they work very similarly. The way dlss works, amd has to come out with a solution that is completely different.
    Amd wouldnt be in this predicament if they were actually the innovators. They need to be the ones that release cool and innovative technologies instead of being late to market and copying nvidias stuff just to compete. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/01 02:44:33 (permalink)
    ehabash1
    mobhill

I doubt it could outperform the machine learning that nvidia uses. The whole gsync/freesync thing is different in the sense that they work very similarly. The way dlss works, amd has to come out with a solution that is completely different.
    Amd wouldnt be in this predicament if they were actually the innovators. They need to be the ones that release cool and innovative technologies instead of being late to market and copying nvidias stuff just to compete

Just giving you a heads up.....incoming AMD brigade in 3...2...1...

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/01 02:50:03 (permalink)
    It would be nice if it works but performance gain and image quality loss are going to be very important to see. I am not sure how well it will work for AMD to try to do it on the next generation consoles as well as the PC since on the consoles the hardware is going to be locked in place for nearly a decade.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/02 05:30:54 (permalink)
    cross your fingers , all this does is make nvidia work harder & do better .... so consumers win again, the more AMD does.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/02 13:56:07 (permalink)
    Hope this works out well. Nvidia and Intel have gotten super complacent, look what happen to gsync and Intel cpu sells. Routing for the underdog this time I am!
    mobhill
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/02 15:39:04 (permalink)
    ehabash1
    mobhill

Amd wouldnt be in this predicament if they were actually the innovators. They need to be the ones that release cool and innovative technologies instead of being late to market and copying nvidias stuff just to compete. 

For a company that's a quarter (?) the size of Nvidia, and competing against Nvidia and Intel, I'm surprised they are still alive, honestly. That they've managed to make the headway they have is quite impressive. Would be nice if they had a bunch more money to invest in R&D. The way things are going, who knows, maybe they will in the future?
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/10 23:40:00 (permalink)
    mobhill
    ehabash1
    mobhill

For a company that's a quarter (?) the size of Nvidia, and competing against Nvidia and Intel, I'm surprised they are still alive, honestly. That they've managed to make the headway they have is quite impressive. Would be nice if they had a bunch more money to invest in R&D. The way things are going, who knows, maybe they will in the future?

Yeap hence you have to give AMD credit where it is definitely due. Go AMD Go😼

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    mathematical
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/28 15:50:52 (permalink)
    Competition is good. It forces the players to be on their tippy toes or lose market share.
    IDon’tLiKeSand
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/30 17:32:47 (permalink)
    Cheering for amd. They certainly proved that they’re no longer the underdogs
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD is developing an alternative to Nvidia’s DLSS 2020/11/30 18:24:37 (permalink)
    mathematical
    Competition is good. It forces the players to be on their tippy toes or lose market share.

IDon’tLiKeSand
    Cheering for amd. They certainly proved that they’re no longer the underdogs

You guys really believe😿
    Makes me happy to read these honest opinions.
    Red Team believers group hug🤗 yay😼

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile