EVGA

Dynamic Clocks and Power Savings

Author
mankxp
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/26 15:16:33 (permalink)
*I hope this would be considered the proper forum for this discussion, but feel free to move if not.

Over the past couple of years I have always pushed my system for maximum clocks and performance, both from a CPU perspective, as well as the GPU perspective when gaming. The past few months I've been fooling around with the settings in Windows 10(X64) to let the OS dynamically control CPU clocks based on demand instead of a Bios OC that runs full time. My system runs 24/7, and the power savings I'm experiencing by doing this is nothing short of miraculous based on my recent electricity bills. I never realized how much power my system was using while being constantly OC'ed and cooled.

If you look at the attached screenshots, you'll see the voltages, clocks and temps that my system is managing at an ambient room temperature of around 72F. The amazing thing is that my browsing, viewing videos/movies and gaming have not seemed to have suffered as I have not noticed any buffering, drops in FPS or anything that one might associate with dynamic CPU and GPU control.

I know this is the OC'ing section, but I wanted to see how many of you utilize dynamic controls over your systems and the reasons for doing so??

My apologies for the low res of the attached images, but I'm not sure how to attach higher res versions.
post edited by mankxp - 2020/10/26 15:22:29

Attached Image(s)

Current System:ASRock Z370 Pro4/Intel I7-8700K Processor @ 5.0ghz De-Lidded with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra/AData DDR-4 2400mhz 2x8 16-gig RAM/SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe/Cougar Panzer-S Mid-Tower Case/EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM/Cooler Master 240 RGB CL CPU Cooler/EVGA GeForce GTX-1080 8-Gig

2 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Dynamic Clocks and Power Savings 2020/10/26 21:50:34 (permalink)
    I can't quite see running my CPU at full blast all the time when not really needed, it increases voltage, power draw, temperature, and affects CPU lifespan.

I always use Windows Power saver mode..I switch to High performance or Ultimate performance when benchmarking or if a certain performance mode offers anything beneficial to what I'm doing..My CPU will still bang right up to full overclock when needed in Power saver mode.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

meoxley
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Dynamic Clocks and Power Savings 2020/10/30 01:38:55 (permalink)
    As a MSP for several years I'd never recommend using the power saver mode. I've seen several systems get stuck in power save mode and you have to move mountains to fix it. Also as a side note I'd never recommend sleep mode as I've seen tons of data corruption.

Also my system it overclocked over 5ghz on all cores and when Its idle it's not drawing much (my ups shows this). So I dont know how you are seeing such a power bill difference unless you were somehow had a memory leak or malware and your cpu was always under load.
    post edited by meoxley - 2020/10/30 01:44:06
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile