EVGA

EVGA 970 FTW Repair

Author
TetisTiger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/26 12:07:06 (permalink)
I have a EVGA 970 FTW SC ACX 2.0 which appears to be on short.
If the GPU is connected to the PSU, the PC won't boot up at all, it will try to power the system up but it will just hang on for a second and completely shut off, though the PC boots up OK when the GPU is disconnected from the PSU.
I have other video cards laying around (even a similar 970, but from another brand), which all work fine. I also checked on other forums, seems that this particular card has some faulty components within it, and many people had issues with it.
I really want to try to fix this GPU since i'd be giving it to my brother as a gift, I don't have much money to buy new GPUs.
Where should I start off? I have a multimeter on me, and the components on the back of the card appear to be OK, I haven't disassembled it yet, planning on doing it later today.
I really aprecciate any help on this!
Thank you!

5 Replies Related Threads

tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW Repair 2020/10/30 05:24:00 (permalink)
    Visual inspection of the Bare PCB Board is your first step. Take good pics of both sides and compare to pic of good pcb if it is not immediately obvious. From what i have seen on the forums it will probably be in the VRM section of the GPU. Good luck

Turdy99
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW Repair 2020/11/25 19:11:28 (permalink)
    My 2080ti is faulty too on 2nd 1 now this 1 has different issues , was getting white dots all over the screen on 1st card now this 1 just crashes fun 😂
    Renkei
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW Repair 2020/11/27 17:30:34 (permalink)
    the best thing to do is to follow the 8 pin power with the card unplugged and check for proper resistance in ohms across the power delivery section of the GPU, If nothing checks up as odd (such as a huge drop in resistance.) you will figure out what will be wrong with it, the issue is most of the time parts do have to be replaced on the board with similar parts most of the time power delivery is what blows up first, If you cannot find anything wacky on the pin side of the board, Check from the PCIE power delivery lane up, you should be able to find all the resistance specs by searching the web for each part name you discover on the board. best of luck!

Please make sure your card isn't plugged into a motherboard or a slot while you do this.

Another thing you can do is buy a PCI-E Trouble shooter, It has a display output that will give you error codes based on what it can tell by checking the slot next to it. unforutnately gpu repair isn't something that can be done for free and GPU boards for parts can be really rough to find for a good price. people like to charge dumb amounts for boards for parts.
    post edited by Renkei - 2020/11/27 17:33:09

Jjackbean
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW Repair 2020/12/03 00:12:30 (permalink)
    I think posting pic is better!
    Gizzards
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EVGA 970 FTW Repair 2020/12/17 19:44:02 (permalink)
    TetisTiger
    I have a EVGA 970 FTW SC ACX 2.0 which appears to be on short.
    If the GPU is connected to the PSU, the PC won't boot up at all, it will try to power the system up but it will just hang on for a second and completely shut off, though the PC boots up OK when the GPU is disconnected from the PSU.
    I have other video cards laying around (even a similar 970, but from another brand), which all work fine. I also checked on other forums, seems that this particular card has some faulty components within it, and many people had issues with it.I really want to try to fix this GPU since i'd be giving it to my brother as a gift, I don't have much money to buy new GPUs.Where should I start off? I have a multimeter on me, and the components on the back of the card appear to be OK, I haven't disassembled it yet, planning on doing it later today.I really aprecciate any help on this!Thank you!

If you do find information on how to fix it, I would post the results. It'd be cool to have a youtube on how to solder/fix things that people run into.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile