Add metal in thermal paste?

Author
meoxley
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/24 20:55:30 (permalink)
Have any of you considered (or tried) adding a little aluminum nitride powder or other conductive material to the ceramic non conductive pastes?

If uniformly mixed and carefully applied to ensure no excess, there would be a far greater heat transfer efficiency.

I understand metals like indium and soldered solutions are a whole different aspect, but I've been toying with the mix I mentioned as a middle ground solution. Even if the entire surface wasnt covered I'd imagine thermal transfer would be exponentially higher than with non conductive ceramic paste.

You all seem to be fairly experienced, far more than me. But I'm using a chiller and would like to see if I could break 5.5ghz on a i7-8086k or i9-9900ks...reliably.

3 Replies Related Threads

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Add metal in thermal paste? 2020/10/25 19:30:00 (permalink)
    I'm assuming you're asking because you already have a ceramic paste? The problem I see is you're likely to dry out the compound when adding a metal powder, and my guess is it will end up hurting performance more than helping once you add an appreciable amount of it. Of course if you try it be sure to post how it goes, there might be a sweet spot if you get the ratio right. 

The non-ceramic TIMs already use very precise metal ratios, der8auer discussed some of the details about this in some Thermal Grizzly Q&A video. They saw worse thermal dissipation fairly quickly, and after a certain point one might as well just go liquid metal. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Add metal in thermal paste? 2020/10/25 20:37:16 (permalink)
    Probably wouldn’t help really since thermal transfer from the paste to the aluminum to the heat sink would slow the transfer of heat.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Add metal in thermal paste? 2020/10/25 22:09:52 (permalink)
    Most thermal pastes already have aluminum powder in them. Rather than mixing your own, why not use one which is already tested, manufactured, and available for sale? It's unlikely that you would be able to do better yourself. Especially for the price, you won't be able to do better on your own.

About paste manufacturing, testing, recipes, etcetera:

See 4:30. Your thermal paste already has aluminum in it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/10/25 22:16:26

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile