EVGA

Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions.

Author
snadger
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/24 09:27:02 (permalink)
Hi, I'm the excited new owner of the X299 dark M/board, still waiting for my i9 9700X chip to land, decided to familiarize myself with all the functions that are available on the board.

Page 131 of the manual states that BIOS 3 is removable and should always be replaced in correct orientation, circle on chip- bottom right, well on my board it's opposite, circle is top left, as though the BIOS is upside down, this is looking at board with VRM at top.

Is the manual wrong or has the chip been inserted the incorrect way on assembly?

I removed all the M2 cooling solution plastic to insert new battery and install my M2 Nvme drive (WD 1tb black), mainly because I didn't know how long this M/board had been stuck in someones shop and I have read stories about batteries being screwed at purchase on these M/boards. Whilst removed I noticed a 5th fan header under the shroud, top left near the audio socket I/O, is this usable and addressable in software?

Concerning that whole plastic shroud, can I leave it off and just use my in case airflow solutions for cooling and use the included I/O shroud that fits to case?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to having an awesome system.
post edited by snadger - 2020/10/24 09:37:38

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 09:53:04 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums & Congrats on your X299 Dark

I don't own one ... so I've got no answers, just suggestions

Does the Manual or a Good online review have a picture of the removable BIOS chip ?

Is the header you found under the cover, Marked fan ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

snadger
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:04:44 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for the welcome.

The manual does have a picture but it is extremely blurry, so inconclusive as you can't actually make out the circle, so no help there, this is the same in PDF version, it states that the locating circle is highlighted with a white circle in the picture, yet no circle is overlaid at all in any picture, ATM, I have removed that BIOS and stored safely until I get a definite answer, this board has never been booted and there is at least one story of M/board failure when trying to use that BIOS as a boot BIOS online.

AS for the fan header, yes it is marked as I/O fan and it is under the cover, so hidden unless you did what I have done.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:12:59 (permalink)
    I see that BIOS has a cover in the photos

Might have to call Customer Service - Or - wait for another member to reply

EVGA X299 Dark (Intel X299) Motherboard Review | TweakTown

EVGA X299 DARK Motherboard Review - Overclockers

EVGA X299 DARK Motherboard Thermal Review: Someone Finally Gets It

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:17:37 (permalink)
    Tin EE was part of the Team that worked with EVGA ... his article usually have more details than most people need

xDevs.com | OC Guide for EVGA X299 DARK motherboard

DEJ915
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 544
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:18:17 (permalink)
    You can take off the plastic covering and be just fine.  I don't know about the fan header or the bios chip though I've never opened mine up to look to see what orientation the chip is in.
    snadger
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:19:44 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I see that BIOS has a cover in the photos Might have to call Customer Service - Or - wait for another member to reply 

Thank you for your replies, yeah, seems the manual is 'very' inconclusive but a LOT better than most manuals.

I would have added photos, which I have but somehow I get stuck in a loop trying to upload them so apologies for that.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:32:21 (permalink)
    snadger
    Cool GTX
    I see that BIOS has a cover in the photos Might have to call Customer Service - Or - wait for another member to reply 

Thank you for your replies, yeah, seems the manual is 'very' inconclusive but a LOT better than most manuals.

I would have added photos, which I have but somehow I get stuck in a loop trying to upload them so apologies for that.

Limits on new members .... try using a Host site .. like Imgur to post photo

See the limits, post count requirements & work around in this - great starter thread linked HERE

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:35:42 (permalink)
    manual page 131 Picture of BIOS chip

https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/151-SX-E299.pdf

- "female" cover plate on Left - has indented part for overlap of other side of the cover with the external tab
     - resistors on Left of BIOS chip

- BIOS1 under chip

- Circle on lower Right of chip

***** See the "Arrowhead" printed on MB points to the BIOS chip circle side

NOTE: forums are having some sort of issues .. I can't upload a simple 64k jpg
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/10/24 10:42:34

snadger
    Re: Brand new X299 DARK BIOS problem + other questions. 2020/10/24 10:40:24 (permalink)
    DEJ915
    You can take off the plastic covering and be just fine.  I don't know about the fan header or the bios chip though I've never opened mine up to look to see what orientation the chip is in.

Thanks for that, I will be providing excellent in case cooling and will be twin loop watercooling in future, this system is going to replace 2 systems. music production using Cubase/Reaper ATM running on an overclocked 3770k but I need more cores but unwilling to tie to 8 and a 8600k Matx system for gaming, can get this baby running at 5.1Ghz no problem, sub 80degC but want one computer dual booting, using PCIe to PCI converters running my TC powercore DSP cards, want to make sure everything is correct, the manual does not help when my BIOS chip seems to be upside down.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile