I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT

Author
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/10/20 14:06:23 (permalink)

Based simply on my own eyesight.  I remember the day back in, what, 2005 I got my first LCD monitor.  The first thing I noticed was all the white shimmering edges along the edge of textures which absolutely did NOT exist on the previous CRT.   Then the horrible motion blur effect of looking around.

I had nothing but disgust for my first LCD and I couldn't understand why everybody was praising them.  It wasn't until my first IPS monitor in 2016 that I finally started to enjoy LCD.

I just came across a video about this and thought I'd share.    I'd love to see what a modern tech 4k CRT would look like.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||

12 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/20 14:49:43 (permalink)
    Interesting that his stack of games had Trespasser. That Jurassic Park game was really not that good and a lot of it was the arm control for touching things.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 07:04:39 (permalink)
    yep ,  CRT has better quality picture  but lost out to LCD due to pricing, size, etc...

just like Betamax lost out to VHS , even though it was better.
    HD-dvd lost out to Bluray ...
    plasma lost out eventually to LCD again , even though it is way better

I just wish OLED would have won out by now,  but it's still seems to be alluding overall market saturation due to various factors.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10327
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 07:51:10 (permalink)
    The game play in the video does look pretty good...

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 11:51:40 (permalink)
    They both look the same on my LCD display.  
    How is this a video?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 12:11:28 (permalink)
    I'll disagree on that. The dot pitch was large on CRTs. People used to complain about seeing pixels on an LCD, yet by comparison CRTs were so much worse. The DPI on a high resolution LCD is ludicrous in comparison. The biggest reason though is eye strain... I don't get it looking at a quality LCD all day long, but as a teenager I'd get it all the time just from a few hours on a CRT. The only redeeming factor was the high refresh rates... and a quality LCD like the S2721DGF 1440p nano IPS 165hz display fix that.

aka_STEVE_b

I just wish OLED would have won out by now,  but it's still seems to be alluding overall market saturation due to various factors.

Plasma lost because it was power intensive, ran hot, and it had a finite lifespan. OLED hasn't taken off because it has an even more finite lifespan... the lifespan of OLEDs starts the moment they are made, and unlike plasma it degrades regardless of use. Higher brightness intensities lowers the lifespan even further. There's too many problems with the tech still. 

Have water, will cool. 
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 14:53:49 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    They both look the same on my LCD display.  
    How is this a video?

Listen to what they are saying in their experience of the gameplay, rather than watching the video itself.   It completely matches my memory of my last CRT, and then the horror of what I was viewing when I got my first LCD

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
    rain2_usa
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 15:23:35 (permalink)
    I love CRT's, but don't miss the static on screen, eye strain, sheer weight, and size.  No complaints on the quality of the screens though.  Still have an 800x600 Tandy monitor for my 486 sx/25 Tandy 2500.  I use it for fun at times to remember what it was like as a kid playing on it.  Great times.  Even with the small quality loss from the CRT days, I would never give up Flat panels.  (motion blur was quite annoying in the early days, I admit). 

Core i7 6700k
    Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
    2x8GB Team T-Force Vulcan Z 3200Mhz
    EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra
    Corsair AIO? with 3D Printed spacer
    Mushkin 240GB SSD
    1TB NVMe 
    1TB Seagate SSHD
    LG Black BD-Drive UH12NS30
    Seasonic Focus GM-750 80+ Gold
    Silverstone Grandia GD09B HTPC Case
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/21 15:38:31 (permalink)
    rain2_usa
    I love CRT's, but don't miss the static on screen, eye strain, sheer weight, and size.  No complaints on the quality of the screens though.  Still have an 800x600 Tandy monitor for my 486 sx/25 Tandy 2500.  I use it for fun at times to remember what it was like as a kid playing on it.  Great times.  Even with the small quality loss from the CRT days, I would never give up Flat panels.  (motion blur was quite annoying in the early days, I admit). 

You know I heard the thing about eye strain from so many people back in the day but it was never something that bothered me.   Modern monitors constantly make me blink and they always feel too bright like they are burning my eyes.   I never had these problems with CRT.     Maybe it's just age and if I played on a CRT it might be even worse than an LCD?

morness
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/22 14:45:38 (permalink)
    kougar
    I'll disagree on that. The dot pitch was large on CRTs. People used to complain about seeing pixels on an LCD, yet by comparison CRTs were so much worse. The DPI on a high resolution LCD is ludicrous in comparison. The biggest reason though is eye strain... I don't get it looking at a quality LCD all day long, but as a teenager I'd get it all the time just from a few hours on a CRT. The only redeeming factor was the high refresh rates... and a quality LCD like the S2721DGF 1440p nano IPS 165hz display fix that.

aka_STEVE_b

Plasma lost because it was power intensive, ran hot, and it had a finite lifespan. OLED hasn't taken off because it has an even more finite lifespan... the lifespan of OLEDs starts the moment they are made, and unlike plasma it degrades regardless of use. Higher brightness intensities lowers the lifespan even further. There's too many problems with the tech still. 

OLED is so good, it is absolutely worth this price premium. Screen burn in is way less of an issue than in the earlier models. I have a 2018 LG C8 65 OLED (2.5 years old now) -- and it's been fantastic and expect many more years out of it. I recently purchased the 2020 LG CX 48 for my desktop gaming / productivity monitor. Yeah, it's big, but it's also cheaper and better than the best gaming monitors out there. Any LEDs that claim HDR support should be forced to use air quotes.. because it doesn't hold a candle to OLED. Before I bought my first OLED, I was absolutely convinced I was going to buy a Samsung QLED. Then I went to a store to see it side-by-side against the LG... and my concerns of screen-burn instantly got demoted to "don't care anymore". And I sat waiting a couple years to buy a proper gaming monitor. Now I found it. And I'm in love. It's perfect. I'm never going back.

yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/22 22:34:37 (permalink)
    morness

OLED is so good, it is absolutely worth this price premium. Screen burn in is way less of an issue than in the earlier models. I have a 2018 LG C8 65 OLED (2.5 years old now) -- and it's been fantastic and expect many more years out of it. I recently purchased the 2020 LG CX 48 for my desktop gaming / productivity monitor. Yeah, it's big, but it's also cheaper and better than the best gaming monitors out there. Any LEDs that claim HDR support should be forced to use air quotes.. because it doesn't hold a candle to OLED. Before I bought my first OLED, I was absolutely convinced I was going to buy a Samsung QLED. Then I went to a store to see it side-by-side against the LG... and my concerns of screen-burn instantly got demoted to "don't care anymore". And I sat waiting a couple years to buy a proper gaming monitor. Now I found it. And I'm in love. It's perfect. I'm never going back.

I remember reading a couple years back how they recommended when you get one you should only game two hours at a time due to still UI elements in the same spot.  Is that still the case?

morness
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/23 09:25:37 (permalink)
    yaggaz
    morness

I remember reading a couple years back how they recommended when you get one you should only game two hours at a time due to still UI elements in the same spot.  Is that still the case?

I'm using it full time for WFH for game development (programming), and play a lot of games on it too in the evenings. Of course, I've only had it a couple months now. Maybe I'll regret it, but rtings has a OLED screen burn-in test that's been going on for years. Basically unless you are streaming CNN in an airport 24-7, you probably don't need to worry too much. The screen dimmer kicks in pretty quickly if you get distracted and have a mostly static screen. Even if I have problems with it after 4 years, I'd just get another one. Sure $1500USD isn't cheap, but it's still cheaper than the top end 4K Acer Predators. When I saw those in person, was super disappointed with the quality -- backlight bleed and air quote HDR.
    yaggaz
    FTW Member
    Re: I have always believed LCD is inferior to CRT 2020/10/23 20:10:11 (permalink)
    morness

I'm using it full time for WFH for game development (programming), and play a lot of games on it too in the evenings. Of course, I've only had it a couple months now. Maybe I'll regret it, but rtings has a OLED screen burn-in test that's been going on for years. Basically unless you are streaming CNN in an airport 24-7, you probably don't need to worry too much. The screen dimmer kicks in pretty quickly if you get distracted and have a mostly static screen. Even if I have problems with it after 4 years, I'd just get another one. Sure $1500USD isn't cheap, but it's still cheaper than the top end 4K Acer Predators. When I saw those in person, was super disappointed with the quality -- backlight bleed and air quote HDR.

No backlight bleed is definitely something I have craved forever.  Which brings me back to the original CRT discussion. It didn't have that.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile