EVGA

Helpful ReplyZ370 Classified K - D6 Post Error

Author
CDesperado
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/18 14:37:00 (permalink)
I bought a new mobo from Amazon last week, but I get a post error of D6. (no graphics output being detected)

I've tried everything I can think of based on Forum and Google searches.
  • I tested the HDMI cable with a different PC, and it's fine.
  • I moved the graphics card to a different PCI-E slot, still get a D6 error.
  • I've reset the CMOS
  • I've tried booting using the HDMI and the Display Port on the Video card
  • I've tried booting using the HDMI and the Display Port on the MoBo

I'm stumped and I'm hoping someone can help.
  • I have no way to know what the BIOS version is, since I cant get it to display anything on the monitor. 
  • Is it possible I have a bad board? 

Build Specs
All of the hardware I am using is listed as being compatible with this mobo:
  • EVGA Z370 Classified K
  • i7-9700F
  • Kingston Hyper-X Fury (32 GB) HX426C15FBK4/32
  • GeForce GTX 1660 SC

coolmistry
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2502
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/19 01:03:55 (permalink)
Hello and Welcome to the EVGA forum 
I sure your Z370 motherboard is fine as long you need update your BIOS CMOS version to 1.14 which it support for I9 9000 series!
And your CPPU processor is not support Integrated Graphics because it "F" mean without Integrated Graphics there no output from your i9 9700F
I think that you bought this from Amazon which have not update latest BIOS but if from EVGA store they always update to date before selling!
New latest BIOS for Z370 Classified here > Driver Version: 1.14
This latest BIOS 1.14 is support :-
  • Update CPU Microcode and add OC Support for future CPU
  • Update Intel RST to 17.2.6.1072 for Intel security issue
Problem is I hope you still keep old i7 CPU if so you need to put i7 CPU Processor on your Z370 to update BIOS firmware to 1.14 then after update BIOS then you can put back i9 9700F
Any problem so please post us back 

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/19 04:06:36 (permalink)

coolmistry
I sure your Z370 motherboard is fine as long you need update your BIOS CMOS version to 1.14 which it support for I9 9000 series!
And your CPPU processor is not support Integrated Graphics because it "F" mean without Integrated Graphics there no output from your i9 9700F
I think that you bought this from Amazon which have not update latest BIOS but if from EVGA store they always update to date before selling!
New latest BIOS for Z370 Classified here > 
Problem is I hope you still keep old i7 CPU if so you need to put i7 CPU Processor on your Z370 to update BIOS firmware to 1.14 then after update BIOS then you can put back i9 9700F

Thanks for the reply - But it sounds like you are saying I am stuck: I cant update the BIOS with the current CPU (because it wont show me anything), and I dont have a different CPU laying around to use to help me update the BIOS.

It sounds like my best option now is to return the CPU and get the 9700-K version - Is that right?

coolmistry
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2502
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/19 04:13:16 (permalink)
CDesperado

coolmistry
New latest BIOS for Z370 Classified here > 

Thanks for the reply - But it sounds like you are saying I am stuck: I cant update the BIOS with the current CPU (because it wont show me anything), and I dont have a different CPU laying around to use to help me update the BIOS.

It sounds like my best option now is to return the CPU and get the 9700-K version - Is that right?

It no problem!
No need to return your CPU to upgrade to K as your CPU is fine but all is you need update your BIOS to 1.14 so maybe you can take your local PC repair shop or friends? You can always ask EVGA Customer Support and they will very friendly help you through out! You can send your Motherboard to EVGA and they will update for you? 
I hope your friend might have i7 CPU processor or any 1151 Coffee lake CPU socket only then you can borrow from your friend to update your Motherboard latest version?
Better if you contact EVGA Customer Support 
Hope this help you? 
post edited by coolmistry - 2020/10/19 04:16:36

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
polyphiax88
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 05:42:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CDesperado 2020/10/20 08:26:22
I could swear their is an echo in the EVGA Forums lately.."I have a EVGA Z370 that doesn't work"....o0

I bought a Classified Z370 a couple of months ago, and have had nothing but issues since and though I'm no expert I can comfortably tell you what your options are gonna be, and more than likely what's the best route to take..
Option's:
#1 Save yourself $300+ and just put it in the trash before it invites it's church of satan buddies over, steal all your money, sacrifice the cat and burn the house down..However if you still want to take a chance with this demon let's continue..
#2 More than likely your board is on a day one bios, and you have only 2 options.. RMA the board to EVGA for an estimated $50 <<Don't quote me on exact price. The cheapest an earliest cpu you can use to update the bios is a i3-8100 $88-100 Used on ebay right now (DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF READING A CELERON G4900 WILL WORK!! Cause it won't..Save yourself the $45 of finding out.
#3 Cross your fingers that a local PC shop or friend has a compatible CPU around the first quarter of 2017 Example these are the only one's that will work. Example: Coffee Lake-S Core i7 8700K i7 8700 i5 8600K i5 8600 i5 8400 i3 8350K i3 8100   <<And that's it

Maybe you'd expect a premium MOB that cost what this board did to have an easier cpu-less bios update option like a ASUS or MSi but it does not.
However you're very lucky you got it from Amazon so if your in your return window I'd send it back and either get something else like a Z390 (So, you won't have this issue again because they support both 8th and 9th Gen CPU's) or get your money back, but trust me when I say the board isn't worth buying 2-3 different cpu's just to get it to work with 9th Gen. My best advice return it and get the Gigabyte Aorus Z390 out of all the Z boards for the 300 series it's proven to be the best over and over, but stay away from the ASUS Rog and prime boards from this time period because they cheap VRM setup in them that's made out to look "Ground breaking" but all they do is get very hot.

Should about cover it, if you have any questions I'd be glad to help you so you don't have to find out the hard way like I did and maybe save yourself a lot of time, money and frustration. 
-Dave

P.S all this applies for both the Classified and FTW series of boards.
take care, best of luck and god speed.
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 08:47:43 (permalink)
polyphiax88
I could swear their is an echo in the EVGA Forums lately.."I have a EVGA Z370 that doesn't work"....o0
 ----
Should about cover it, if you have any questions I'd be glad to help you so you don't have to find out the hard way like I did and maybe save yourself a lot of time, money and frustration. 
-Dave

Thanks for posting this... you're sentiments are echoing the frustration I am currently feeling. (ie, I paid a lot of money for a board that basically doesn't work.) I submitted a service ticket on Sunday about this issue, and Im waiting on a response. If I dont get one today, I will call them tmrw. But mentally, Im already preparing myself for having to take everything apart, box it up and return it, which sucks. (Taking it to a shop wont work bc the only place near me went out of business when Covid hit.. and I dont want to play processor roulette trying to find a proc that will work so I can update the BIOS.)

On a separate bit related note, this build is for a (very) beefy media server. Are there any other mobos out there I could be looking at?
  • I've built 5 or 6 gaming rigs in the past, initially using ASUS mobos and then switched to EVGA mobos maybe 10 years ago or so. I've always had good luck with them, until now.
  • The EVGA and Gigabyte Z390 versions look to be in the $500-600... but that may be overkill for what I need to do here.
    • The FTW is sold out everywhere I have looked so far

I dont mind paying more for a better board, since I want this PC to have a long lifespan. I also dont mind paying more if it lets me finish this build. Switching to another brand would present hardware compatibility issues too...  but I guess I need to start looking at other options.

For example
  • ASUS WS Z390 PRO -
  • Gigabyte X399 Aorus Pro
  • The EVGA X299 wont work bc its a 2066 socket

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 09:01:53 (permalink)
BTW..I'm looking at another option which is swapping the BIOS chip. Apparently you can get a BIOS chip that has the updated Bios already loaded on to it for around $12 "From the specific seller I found, maybe more elsewhere" apparently this is very common for people who end up with fried bios chips and you just pull the old one out of it's 8-Pin socket (very much like a typical 8-Pin DIP Chip/Socket) and install the new one, however I don't wanna say this as fact yet cause I haven't checked the board out yet but I'm about 2 to see if it has some crazy soldered install "Which at this point wouldn't suprise me" but if it's like most other boards you should be able to do this WITHOUT SOLDERING and it be plug-in-play.
I have nothing to lose with this board, so I'll let you know what I find out. $12 beats the helll out of a $88 i3 or $50+ RMA, and even if soldering is needed I'm not to worried been soldering since I was 8 and have the correct gear to pull it off.
If you do decide to keep the board let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help you cause I'm aware of how frustrating this can be.
I'm already stuck on this board anyway, so may as well be a guinea pig for future buyers who get stuck on this problem.
I'll let you know what I find..

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 09:22:44 (permalink)
I just saw your response. i'm sorry man I really am I know how horrid this can be.
As far as what i know about servers? nothing other than I've built one for Race Room's racing Sim but I believe a used a prebuilt Xeon for that and honestly either it was easy to do or most of the work had been done. If you're running your own small server what is it for? i didn't really think personal servers needed a ton of power do they? I think that's why old Xeon work stations were so popular to use as servers is because of the high core count with a decent price tag on a used one. Not sure where your looking at Z390's at but $500-600ish is waaaay to much. Gigabyte Aorus pro on Newegg New for $190 and used one's are typical around $140ish.. Again I don't know a lot about servers but now that i know what your ding i'll look into what setups people are using now, and any information I pick up i'll gladly relay over to you.
Knowing what your building it for could help gauge what kind of power you're needing though..

Ooo..and 2 things the EVGA Z390 are very expensive you're right about that, and remember either stay clear of Z390 ASUS boards because i know a lot of them ,even their maximus boards have some pretty sketchy VRM's that known for getting really hot (Hints why the Rog's come with a 40mm VRM fan and bracket to keep them cool and lessen the failure rate) So be careful with those. Usually the one's effected are the 10 count vrm boards but maybe all ASUS boards had that setup for Z390 which they knew people didn't like which is why they went back to old faithful vrm's with Z490.

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 10:45:22 (permalink)
Well just when I think I've found a solution this board keeps shooting it down. the boards have a dual bios which we both know however their soldered to the board and don't look easy to work with, and I've gotta at least try to get some of the $130 I spent on buying this board.
The more and more I read it seems like we're not even close to being the only one's with this issue. the board will support many cpu's with a updated bios but on it's V1.00 bios its very limited in cpu's that are useful.
How much did you pay for the one you got from amazon? Their is one FTW there but it's $180 used and the Classified's are going for $260.
I don't feel that bad paying only $130 for mine, but with the bios issue it has I guess that's a fair price.
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 14:31:04 (permalink)
polyphiax88How much did you pay for the one you got from amazon? Their is one FTW there but it's $180 used and the Classified's are going for $260.

I paid $260 for the Z370 Classified K.

If sending it back to EVGA to have them update the BIOS is only $50, I'd probably go for that. It would frustrate me, but I dont have many options right now.
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/20 17:50:59 (permalink)
Ooouch..If I had known you a bit sooner I'd just let you take mine for half the price. $260 is a lot of money for an older board especially one that needs a bios update. I emailed evga's support today to ask them what their actual cost on bios update's is but haven't received an answer yet, but have been told it's like any $50 RMA Charge but don't quote me on that as I take anyone's answer with a grain of salt. If I can't get evga to answer me and I have no choice but to use a i3-8100 to update the bios I'd gladly send it to you (if it works out) so you can use it to update yours without having to spend more money. Seem like a good guy you just got tangled in the same web as I did, I only ask just to cover shipping to you back to me and be careful with the cpu and that's really it. looks like cheapest option is ebay's "Keystone Group" seller who I've bought from before and had no issues, but I'll keep my eye's peeled for anything better. Let me know what you decide to do and if it becomes just to much I'll do whatever i can to help you. and Btw I ask my endurance racing partner what he uses as a server and he told me he's using 2 old Dell Optiplex's and one of them "Optiplex 7010 w/ i5-3470" he got from me, and the other being a Optiplex 9010 w/ i7-3770 which are from around 2013 and can be had for very little money (I only paid $100 for the 7010) which tells me that maybe you don't really need a ton of power for a simple gaming server? But I guess it depends on what you're using it for I guess..

(Which btw if you or anyone is in need of a Classified K Z370 that's basically new I'd sell this one for $130-140 which is apparently good seeing how the only one on ebay is $198 used and one's for parts are $120 (Would have to sell through Ebay to make it safe for buyer of course cause I don't have enough post yet to sell on EVGA's Buy/Sell forum yet. been on ebay since December 2013 w/ 100% feedback and 101 transactions. Will give account name to verify it's me with request, you would be safe under ebay's 30 day return if any issue with board just keep in mind it needs bios update. Will gladly give any pictures or video needed to show board on test bench)
**Any EVGA moderator reading this I don't know the rules on this, but just keep in mind I'm only trying to get money back out of something I got from you and can no longer use, and can prove upon request that I'm legit and mean no harm. P.S: Be nice if you'd let me do this legit by letting me into the buy/sell section wink wink** =/
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/21 13:52:21 (permalink)
What BIOS version is yours? Lol
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/21 18:17:14 (permalink)
I'm not %100 sure because I've yet to get into the bios with G4900 I was using, however I'm gonna have to update the bios on this board before selling it anyway (Well I don't have too, but I refuse to put anyone else through this BS so I will before selling) But I think it's on V1.04 because the seller said he updated at least once or twice, Either way I know it needs the 1.08 bios before being useful for most people including myself want it for and that's to support 9th Gen Intel CPU's. 
I know for fact I'm gonna do 1 of 2 things: Either use the Classified Z370 board I have after update if I can't sell it and regroup some of my money to help fund my LGA 1200 build.
I've remembered though that between buying an i3 $88 to update with (Then selling it I'll lose around $18 in shipping and ebay's/paypal fees 13% total sell) then to sell board another 13%+shipping $13 i'd have to sell the board for $170 just to break even on my $130 on the board, but if a personal sell was done $150 would allow me to break somewhat even (I'll never break even on $300+ invested in this board but you know what I mean)
I'm thinking he just used this board as a test bench board because when I got it all of it's packages hadn't been opened, and the board even smelled new which he told me he had bought it new just last year if I remember correctly. $150 is pretty cheap considering I didn't know they were $260 on amazon and i suspect he bought it from there as well. If it will save you a bunch of money and you want it just let me know and will work it out, only issue I have right now is getting my hands on a i3 to update it with because this board just drained what funds I had until I get paid in a little less than 2 weeks and can get one to do it, but if you want it without the update and waiting I can send it out the way I have it now which with shipping cost should be around $145.

tried to attach an image of all of it, but of course evga's rules or whatever won't let me but if you want to see it just give me a email address i guess would be the best option and I'll send what I have. Also have some patriot DDR4 (2x4gb=8gb) Ram kit, Evga supernova G2 (550w), Logitech K800 keyboard etc..
Luckily the cpu's and one of the ram kit's i bought sold pretty quick.[image]file:///C:/Users/Dugen/Desktop/Selling%20Business/Selling%20PC%20Parts/20201014_002842.jpg[/image]

Cordorb
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 635
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/22 17:02:52 (permalink)
We need the brotherhood of the traveling (CPU) Chip

I had to get a G5400 CPU to flash my Z370 Class-k  ($99) Micro Center with a discount so $50

Got direct from EVGA March-2020 with old bios - (That must have slipped past QA)

MB was to be a spare for a Z270 I got 1/20/2018 but used it to replace EVGA  Z270 from  2/16/2017 
-- This Z270 board DID have a removeable  BIOS chip and 2 others soldered in to the board

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/22 21:58:39 (permalink)
I'm very glad you said this man because I was wanting to wait to say what I'm about to say until I was sure EVGA wasn't going to help me at all (I even finally broke down after $300+ spent on this board to get a RMA case going to get this Board updated but they won't message me back after asking what they were going to charge me for the update) EVGA refusing to help me has been a blessing actually because I've learned a lot about Mother boards and their bios setup's, so EVGA not helping me has made me dig deep into their product line and I've found some things that just aren't cool..
**If this seems like I'm saying all this in hate and anger it's because I'm both pissed off and feel betrayed by the company I've loved dearly and spent thousands of what little money I have with them ever since I built my first PC 2-3 years ago with their parts and did use their parts to repair customer PC's which I bought even more stuff (Mostly 550w PSU's) and if you're skeptical evga worker just check how many serial numbers of stuff I've bought from you in the last 5-6 months (Should be around $1,400) and that's only since I made an account and after all this time of not bothering any of you for help and fixed things myself, I finally broke down and ask for help on the worst motherboard I've ever bought or worked on, and I got nothing but "Send us money for RMA" which leads me to this..

-(What the EVGA Z370 Classified K has taught me, and why it's the worst board I've ever worked with..)

EXAMPLE #1: EVGA I really want you to explain this to me..please

Boards that have removable/modular/clamp shell Bios chips: (Very easy to update bios by swapping a small chip with no soldering or buying a CPU you don't need)

-EVGA Z77 FTW, Classified   << (First 2 are almost 10 year old boards..)
-EVGA Z87 FTW, Classified   <<released 2014
-Z170  <<2015
-Z270   <<(Board right before Z370...W..T..F!!!???)
-X99  <<2017..
-X299   <<2017..

Boards that DON'T have removable bios chips:
-EVGA Classified K Z370..  <<(Released 2017..? Most all boards before it had removable chips, and boards after the Z370 had them as well..what in the actual hellll is that?) Surely someone at EVGA wouldn't do this on purpose to stick customers with RMA fee's..Riiiiight? =(
I mean especially with their most high end and popular MOB Riiiight? Their is a very Apple feeling to this, not to mention this board has 2 bios chips which would make sense to make Bios 1 a Modular chip..

NOTE: This is just a few minutes of looking around, but they're a lot more and they date back to over 10 years ago that MOB companies have been putting removable BIOS Chips on their boards for YEARS!! to make it very easy for a person to get a chip without having to ship a giant board $12 there and $12 back with a $50 RMA Charge.. Which would you rather do? Ship a tiny chip..or ship a sensitive mother board across the USA just to have a simple update done? Exactly.. I've seen a guy mad about this very same board and the fact he had to spend so much money on a bios update for the Z370 and drive 2 hours each way and the response he got in the forums was (And this is the exact response) "Needing to update the MB BIOS for newly released CPU is NOT a New issue & Happens with Every Brand of MB" IT ABSOLUTELY IS NOT a common issue with either ASUS, MSi or AsRock and I can prove it if you'll let me post photos of the old DDR3 Z77, P67 ASUS and MSI boards I have, they all have "JSP11" ports were you can plug a harness into and update the bios..
The chip and harness are like a few bucks and that's it. I've never not even once had to buy a CPU or anything like that to update these Asian boards (Which is why they have been kicking our Azz in manufacturing in electronics for years, especially PC's which is why EVGA stuff isn't even made in America tells a lot I think)
(I can't even use "CH314A" EEPROM Bios Burner on this board..Because the heatsink is in the way and the thing can't recognize the chip you used, which btw the "GIGADEVICE GD25Q127CSIG" chip you used on this board.. I cannot find it anywhere and the writing is so small it took a large magnifying just to make out a few digits..Just insane. The chip is like a ghost and I won't ask you what chip it is because I won't get an answer anyway.
This Z370 is the first time out of all the boards I've built I've had an absolute nightmare trying to just update the bios (And btw the post saying the Celeron G4900 will update early V1 bios versions isn't true.. I tried 2 of them at $45 a pop, and nothing..)

I want to make this clear as well that this isn't an attack on a lot of the EVGA staff because I know some of you are great people and this is not your fault at all.
I'm like anyone else when I spend my money on PC parts that are expensive I expect that they will make my building experience easy, and not a month of typing rants in a da*n forum because I can't get anyone to give a legit answer.
Receiving no advice at all my only option was just to buy parts, and hope they worked out which got expensive very quickly.. and I'm sorry but nobody should have to do that. Searching endlessly through Reddit, forums etc etc.. just looking for any crumb of an answer to help me, and i couldn't even get that on the evga forum itself.
I've done nothing wrong but put my whole trust in you to have my back when things aren't working right. If you'd ask me a month ago which company is the best in PC Gaming without any thought I would have answered "EVGA is a hard working American company that makes the most incredible hardware, go with them.." but in the last couple of months I've been nothing but disappointed with a $90 DG-77 case that was just horrible I'm sorry, this gold digging board that's done nothing but steal all my build money and put me in a hole of debt..Etc Etc
Guy's a board at this cost (The guy above me paid $260!! for his..Ouch) should not have this issue...Period!!
You gave us absolutely no choice but to either pay you to update the bios or buy a i3-8100 ($105 on Amazon Used!!) and that is just F*cking stupid and seems like it's by design.. and if that is so then that's just messed up.
Please Please Please.. from everyone on Youtube who were furious about new boards they got with old bios's they couldn't use, and all the people in the forum's who were upset DON'T ever do this again. I don't care how much more the board cost to put in a chip-less bios like ASUS or a modular bios chip, but please give us some other way out of this trap. this issue has gone on for years and it's like nobody cares at all to fix it. your Customers are soooo loyal to you and pay a lot of money to support your company, so give them what they pay for and help them out. I know you can do it because you have older boards that can do it.

I'm done ranting, nobody will read this anyway but maybe it'll wake something up. I don't care if you hate me or curse me out, but know that if I wasn't passionate about EVGA and the incredible things you do then I wouldn't bother to write this..

And to guy who started this post I swear I'm not trying to take over what you made, i just felt this needed to be said and it felt like the right time to say it.
Again I'm sorry man. I'll remove it if you wish for me to.
I know I sound like a crazy person, but I've learned that people don't respond or do anything about a problem until you bring it up. 
I really hope you fix this on your future boards..

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/22 22:01:37 (permalink)
Btw..what bios was the board on when you used that G5400?
I found someone saying the G4900 worked but I tried 2 of them, and got nowhere..
I'm hoping a i3 8100 will work but I'm hesitant to spend another $88
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/23 07:34:27 (permalink)
Just a quick note - They responded to my service ticket and are going to send me an updated BIOS chip with v 1.14 within a few days. So I'm in a holding pattern at the moment.  
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/23 13:09:28 (permalink)
How long did it take them to respond? I've been waiting like 3 days and haven't heard anything.
I don't know if they are unaware that these boards unlike their older and newer boards don't have modular bios chips and have to be soldered which brings me to the question, do you have the equipment to solder something like that in? The sough bridge heatsink is very close to that Bios 1 chip so may have to pull the heatsink to get to it. I'm more than likely gonna have to use a eeprom clamp style bios flasher on mine, but I have to find a good clamp to get into such a tight spot. I was pretty blown away when I went and looked at some older EVGA boards and found their bios chips were a lot easier to change out,but yet these 3 year old boards have a soldered chip..Makes no sense to me. But good luck to you man, I really hope it works out for you.

P.S When you do unsolder that chip I would get a 8-Pin DIP socket and solder that in so you can change that bios chip out easily without having to solder again if something goes wrong. But, that's just my suggestion. Basically do the job that EVGA didn't.
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/23 14:22:11 (permalink)
I submitted the ticket on Saturday or Sunday I think? What's weird is that I cannot respond to the ticket. I didnt realize it wasnt a user-replaceable chip until I looked more closely. wth

And no, they didnt ask if I was comfortable replacing the chip. Just that they were going to send me one. I coudlnt respond to my original ticket so I had to submit another one telling them that I am not comfortable with replacing this BIOS chip on my own. 
Those chips are tiny and there is no way I am going to risk damaging this board trying to replace that myself.

This whole experience is draining me.
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/23 22:18:02 (permalink)
Hints as to why I wrote out a long ranting post last night^^^ which is just above you (Give that a read and you'll see some of the BS they pulled with this particular board) Every EVGA board I have found in the last 10 years and even the Z390, Z490, X299, X99 after all have either a modular Bios chip that can be removed easily and traded out or like the new boards have a special USB port (Like the FTW Z390) that you can update the Bios with without needing a CPU. After I update the Bios on this Classified K and sell it I'm never touching or buying another EVGA product again and that's after only using EVGA products for 2 years. They charge premium prices for none premium hardware, and seem to really care less to help any of their buyers well...unless you're buying Z490 Dark's and stuff like that then their more than happy to help you because they love anyone willing to buy a $500 board. I'm not even mad anymore honestly I'm glad to have paid $130 to find out who they really are, I'm just sorry you had to pay $260..
Cordorb
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 635
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/24 18:27:45 (permalink)
I posted this in a long thread about the same problem
----------------
5. AND YES the new motherboard (Z370 Classified K) came with OLD BIOS 1.07 ( 2 years old )  and not 1.12  ,but we all keep an extra Intel G5400 in out back pocket -right :-) $50.00 new at microcenter.
-----------

https://forums.evga.com/BIOS-Updates-for-Z370-Classified-K-114-Z370-FTW-113-Z370-Micro-112-m2943881-p2.aspx

think  that link gets you to the mid point of the thread - it may list other chips that may work.

polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/24 20:16:51 (permalink)
My main issue is that I got this board from a quote "Professional PC parts dealer since 1991" yet he didn't know to update a Bios and had no issue taking my money and sticking me with this board..Ugh. And I don't know what Bios this board is on so I have no idea what will or will not work, as well because EVGA gave out such a wonderfully detailed list of CPU compatibility when they launched this board. 
I'm 100% convinced this BS was done by design because I just don't buy the fact they forgot to add at least at minimal a modular 8-Pin Clamp shell bios socket for their $300+ Premium Mother Board, and if they did forget well then.. that speaks volume.
Funny how they didn't forget for 20+ years to do it for their other boards, but then suddenly just forgot to give people the option to update their Bios without needing a $100+ i3 CPU, but then suddenly remembered next year on their FTW 390 (WHICH HAS A SPECIAL USB PORT ESPECIALLY FOR CPU-LESS BIOS FLASH RIGHT ON THE FRONT OF THE BOARD!!) and as well the Z390 FTW (Which I cannot seem to find anywhere) and Z490 Dark you know that $500 MOB..
How smart was it to lose a bunch of customers (Now including myself) who spend multiple $,$$$'s with you each year just to collect on those small RMA bills in comparison? Not very..

Anyway this post needs to go back to helping this guy who bought one of your boards for $260 and needs help yesterday!! because I imagine at this point he doesn't have much time left to return the board. I understand their is nothing you can do about it being at amazon for 2 years but you can do something about it now. if you are the best in customer service then show him cause it's getting tiring of typing out these long messages to keep this thread on HOT and at the top of the list.
HELP HIM!!

Their is a massive amount I'm holding back on cause I do respect ya still..a little bit.
How much you stand to lose on charging him to send the board in to be updated compared to how much you gain by helping him for free (Especially after $260!! When he could have bought literally anything else..) Anyone spends $260 and doesn't get help I'll guarantee will remember that.

And to anyone reading this by chance if you know anything that will help the dude just speak up, I'm out of Ideas and yes I considered using an EEPROM Flasher but it won't recognize the oddball Bios chip they used and I'm sure they won't tell me exactly what type of chip it is, I know it's a 25 Series GIGADEVICE but I cannot find the exact model..
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/25 16:33:51 (permalink)
Hey man just checking in with you to see if you have any updates on your situation?
I'll be ordering a Bios flasher in a little over a week from now and I'm gonna use my board as a test dummy. If it kills my board I don't really care that much been wanting to smack it with a hammer anyway. But, if it does work maybe I can flash yours or just get in contact with you and show you what to do through video chat or something. Just let me know what happens and keep in mind how long you've had that board incase you need to send it back to Amazon (You only have 30 days from purchase or delivery). Take care.
-Dave
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/10/29 20:41:37 (permalink)
Hey man they're gonna RMA my board and update the BIOS. I only have to ship the board to them and that's it.
Hope you found a way to resolve your problem but if not make sure you contact their RMA branch and they should help you.
just figured I'd let you know that they are willing to help..it seems. 
CDesperado
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/11/15 05:12:40 (permalink)
Just to close the loop on this - I sent the board back to EVGA. They updated the BIOS. Everything booted up fine, Ive got Win10 rolling and Im super happy.

Thanks EVGA and polyphiax88 for your help!
polyphiax88
Re: Z370 Classified K - D6 Post Error 2020/11/15 05:21:32 (permalink)
Hey it's no problem man I hate to see people spend money on PC parts and have issues.
I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and just broke down and paid the $30 to ship it to EVGA and I'm expecting it back Tuesday.
I haven't heard anything from them about weather or not the board was ok, but seeing how they have sent me the tracking number I'm hoping that it is. How did the board perform for you and what CPU are you using? Because I'm still very much on the fence about this board and may just sell it and use the i5-9600K with a Aorus Z390 Master board. Would use a EVGA FTW Z390 but I cannot find one anywhere and it seems EVGA don't have them anymore. Glad everything worked out for you =)
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile