EVGA

Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software?

Author
ebonmark
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/16 14:42:01 (permalink)

I use a Tiamat 7.1 headphone and I really need the Crossover function or I get very little bass. Is it too much to ask for this option to be available? I really need this, am I the only one?!

23 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/16 15:31:30 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

saberwoulf
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/20 19:44:58 (permalink)
    I have a similar problem, running 5.1 analog out to a Yamaha Receiver and get almost no bass on a 350 Klipsch 10" Sub. Had to crank the sub to hardly get anything out of it. My old Creative labs cards did not have any problem with Bass management on the exact same setup and I was really hoping that this would be a Better card with EVGA quality. Also its certainly sad that on a $300 piece of equipment the best responses for a missing basic feature is either make a request and hope we put it in, or uninstall the software designed to make it work to actually make it work.... I think mine is getting returned.
    Phileosophos
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/23 12:50:33 (permalink)
    I posted essentially the same request back in March. They haven't updated the driver since. I'm done with EVGA and their incompetence.
    ebonmark
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/23 13:24:52 (permalink)
    I just read your post in March Phileosophos and my heart sinks knowing that 7 months later and there's no word that anything will be done about it. On a side note, that ty_ger07 person was so off point it was incredibly frustrating to read!
    Phileosophos
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/24 00:01:13 (permalink)
    ebonmark
    I just read your post in March Phileosophos and my heart sinks knowing that 7 months later and there's no word that anything will be done about it. On a side note, that ty_ger07 person was so off point it was incredibly frustrating to read!

LOL! On the one hand I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings. Yet on the other hand, I surely appreciate the empathy. It's always tiring when somebody who clearly has no idea what they're talking about just keeps telling you how wrong you are.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/24 11:41:14 (permalink)
    ebonmark

Lol.
    Ok, whatever.
    I was completely accurate from a technical standpoint. Center channel is monotone and that is where bass exists. It's fundamental.

Now, if EVGA's implementation is messed up and doesn't work as it should, that is not tested by me and is totally out of my control.

Don't call me off point when I am completely technically correct about the way it is supposed to work.

When I made those replies, I was under the assumption that there wasn't anything technically wrong with EVGA's implementation. Since then, I have become convinced that there is either a software or hardware issue. When I read how people had to tweak things in a completely ludicrous way just to get 3.1 to work, I knew that there is a problem.

I haven't posted much here since, because it is pointless for me to give advice based on a technically flawed product which doesn't behave as it should in the first place.

Instead or asking for crossover control, perhaps you should ask for proper center channel implementation in the first place. If the center channel worked properly, I am certain that you wouldn't need crossover control. Crossover control is a bandaid for a bigger root problem.

I now agree with you that it is messed up. But I still disagree about why it is messed up and how it should best be corrected.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/10/24 11:56:46

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Phileosophos
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/24 12:47:45 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    ebonmark

Lol.
    Ok, whatever.
    I was completely accurate from a technical standpoint. Center channel is monotone and that is where bass exists. It's fundamental.

Now, if EVGA's implementation is messed up and doesn't work as it should, that is not tested by me and is totally out of my control.

Don't call me off point when I am completely technically correct about the way it is supposed to work.

When I made those replies, I was under the assumption that there wasn't anything technically wrong with EVGA's implementation. Since then, I have become convinced that there is either a software or hardware issue. When I read how people had to tweak things in a completely ludicrous way just to get 3.1 to work, I knew that there is a problem.

I haven't posted much here since, because it is pointless for me to give advice based on a technically flawed product which doesn't behave as it should in the first place.

Instead or asking for crossover control, perhaps you should ask for proper center channel implementation in the first place. If the center channel worked properly, I am certain that you wouldn't need crossover control. Crossover control is a bandaid for a bigger root problem.

I now agree with you that it is messed up. But I still disagree about why it is messed up and how it should best be corrected.

You weren't "completely accurate from a technical standpoint" by a long shot. I've already explained where you were correct and where you were dead wrong. But I'm glad you've at least come around to another piece of the truth: that EVGA has bungled the sub content badly. It's a pity too; the card is so nice in so many ways, but the sub content problem is horrible and the drivers are worse. And apparently they can't be bothered to fix any of it in 6+ months, so now I'm done with them.
    ebonmark
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2020/10/26 12:26:10 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    ebonmark

Lol.
    Ok, whatever.

Off point, as the option of having the CROSSOVER function regardless if EVGA consider their product flawed or not, should be there. Just being able to have the option of using CROSSOVER even if they consider their product faultless or they fix their implementation or whatever they want to do as I still may not be satisfied with what they think is "fixed".
    post edited by ebonmark - 2020/10/26 15:43:16
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 772
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/22 19:04:15 (permalink)
    I have a trouble ticket in for this same problem. a few days after the initial install, I noticed no bass signal to the sub unless I was playing a surround track via dvd or blueray disc. EVGA thought I received a bad set of cards and replaced them. With the new cards, I discovered all mp4 videos would channel everything to the front 2 speakers only using Window's Grove Music player. However, Power DVD Ultra program would channel it to 7.1 with tons of bass to the sub. Mp3's are not so lucky. Always 2 channel no matter the player. Would be nice to have the ability to convert 2 channel audio to at least 2.1 like a cheap pair of speakers from Best Buy.  The ability to select crossover frequencies would really be nice (like my Onkyo 7.1 home theater) but that might be asking a lot. Any good alternate software out there to run this card?

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    Injuis
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/23 16:26:35 (permalink)
    ebonmark

I've learned to completely ignore anything written by ty_ger07.  I think they are just trolling, to be honest.
    We were told there would be updates last August and not a peep.  I gave them a pass for COVID but it really seems that not a single soul is working on this card anymore.
    I'm selling my card.  The software support is exceedingly poor.  
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/24 00:29:05 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Complaints and Suggestions

What was the intension of that link? It only brought me to the forum main page.

EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/24 09:25:58 (permalink)
    Injuis

I've learned to completely ignore anything written by ty_ger07.  I think they are just trolling, to be honest.

Nope, not trolling.

It's basic sound design.  I'm not wrong.  Bass occupies the center monotone channel.  Naturally.  Without coercion.  No crossover is required to force it to exist there in the center channel.  It already exists there.  In that thread, he was arguing that he needed crossover control to move bass from the left and/or right channels to the center channel, but it's a fact that it doesn't need to be moved to the center channel, because it is already in the center channel.  Not trolling.  It's fact.

The problem is that it simply doesn't exist in the center channel with these cards because EVGA has screwed something up.  Reading an EVGA tech's first-hand experience guide on how to set this up made my head hurt.  Maybe someone can find his post and laugh.  This is a defect.

Edit: Here it is.  Read this mess.  This is a defect, not a missing feature.
    https://forums.evga.com/Anyone-got-a-sub-to-work-correctly-m3055430.aspx

I mean, look at this quote alone:
    2.1 is only supported via Stereo.  You wouldn't use the C/Sub output on the daughterboard card for 2.1.  You would need to place the speakers in-line with the Sub, or the Sub after the speakers.

Why would anyone buy a 7.1 add-on card if it can't even do 2.1?  What in the world?!  How can a 7.1 add-on card not support 2.1?  It's the most basic step above 2.0.  What is a "C/Sub" output for if not for a center .1 channel? It's right in the name! "Center/Sub". How can a whole additional add-on card not allow just a center channel?  It has enough inputs and outputs, that's for sure!  Like... what!?!?  I mean, I understand a surround add-on card supporting and using surround encoding, but it SHOULD ALSO have options to support common-sense speaker configurations based on industry-standard stuff.  A center channel is a monotone channel.  A 7.1 surround add-on card SHOULD have an option to enable a center .1 monotone channel even if not using a source with surround encoding.  It's asinine.

I mean, that tech guy is not wrong about bridging the left and right channels to create a center channel for a sub, but no one should need to have 2 subs -- one sub bridged for stereo 2.1 audio and a separate sub exclusively for surround-encoded audio.  The C/Sub output SHOULD BE a bridged channel for 2.1 audio by default for any audio which is not surround-encoded.

There's something seriously wrong with the hardware or software implementation.

I am NOT WRONG about the crossover control discussion in that thread where you claim I was trolling.  In that thread, the OP was wrong about needing to move bass from the left or right channels to a center channel using crossover control.  'Moving bass from the left or right channels to the center channel' is in no way related to crossover control.  Bass doesn't exist exclusively in the left or right channels in the first place.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/24 21:47:13

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/24 19:07:33 (permalink)
    It's official, EVGA Tech Support just admitted in a support ticket The Nu Audio card has no way to convert 2 channel to 2.1 or any other surround with a sub channel. How pathetic!

Thank you for reaching out to us. This card will not convert content from a 2 channel stereo source files to 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 playback configurations. The source audio material would need to be coded in 5.1 or 7.1 for additional audio outputs to be used.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
    Regards,
    EVGA

Falita
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/25 04:34:12 (permalink)
    At the driver level it seems it can't but you can use a workaround to get the crossover to work on music, games or general audio.

For music a player like Foobar2000 with the Bass Managment plugin allows to set a crossover freq. that would be use to send the signal to the sub, or a plugin like upmix 5.1 (built in) to get sound on all channels (7.0 since bass doesn't get any audio)

For the rest i can only think of using the windows built in bass managment:

I don't have the card but i think this is the only way to get it to work, is tedious but better than nothing. I currently have a Xonar DX (last driver 4 years ago) and was thinking about change it to the Nu Audio but...
    post edited by Falita - 2021/01/25 04:36:28
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/25 22:36:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I am sending the card back. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Falita
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/26 20:46:03 (permalink)
    The only alternative is the creative AE 5,7,9. Xonar latest drivers was 5 years ago.
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/01/28 18:54:28 (permalink)
    Falita
    The only alternative is the creative AE 5,7,9. Xonar latest drivers was 5 years ago.

Went with the ASUS STRIX RAID DLX 7.1. Latest driver set is dated: 12/15/2020.
    SNR is a smidge above the Nu Audio Pro 7.1. Most important it upscales to 7.1 which the Nu Audio was lacking. The remote headphone/ volume control will come in handy as well since my Razor Black Widow Ultimate does not have a wheel volume control. 

Attached Image(s)

Falita
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/02/13 10:27:57 (permalink)
    Check here, got tired of waiting for a response from evga and found how to do it: https://forums.evga.com/N...rossover-m3221564.aspx
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/02/13 20:02:38 (permalink)
    So I have a solution now that if I had discovered sooner I would have kept the Nu Audio Pro 7.1. I am using Equalizer APO with the Peace APO mod. It makes You Tube videos sound wonderful in 7,1 surround sound. So 1st install Equalizer APO and setup for your speakers. Then download Peace Equalizer mod (Peter's Equalizer APO Configuration Extension). Let it override the APO settings. Click on the Effects button and configure the upload options like I have in this picture. Of course choose 5.1 if that is what your system supports. 

Attached Image(s)

Falita
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/02/13 20:42:05 (permalink)
    MhzManiac
    So I have a solution now that if I had discovered sooner I would have kept the Nu Audio Pro 7.1. I am using Equalizer APO with the Peace APO mod. It makes You Tube videos sound wonderful in 7,1 surround sound. So 1st install Equalizer APO and setup for your speakers. Then download Peace Equalizer mod (Peter's Equalizer APO Configuration Extension). Let it override the APO settings. Click on the Effects button and configure the upload options like I have in this picture. Of course choose 5.1 if that is what your system supports. 

hahah yes, it seems we found the same way to make this card work.
    lucker#1
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/03/14 11:45:40 (permalink)
    ebonmark

I use a Tiamat 7.1 headphone and I really need the Crossover function or I get very little bass. Is it too much to ask for this option to be available? I really need this, am I the only one?!

You're not the only one! I need Bass Management as well to run a Teufel Concept G 7.1 THX system. Mine and the Concept E were very very popular in Germany - half the country still has them and all require Bass Crossover. I really do hope EVGA implements this feature on a driver level. It really is essential.
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/03/22 23:35:54 (permalink)
    Don't hold your breath. Just do the mod like I mentioned a couple posts ago. Youtube has never sound so good.

Falita
    Re: Why is there no CROSSOVER in Nu Audio Pro 7.1 software? 2021/03/23 13:56:35 (permalink)
    I got notified from other thread for some reason and now realized they deleted my thread about using Apo to get a proper crossover... just google "Nu Audio Pro 7.1 + APO Equalizer (a Real Crossover)" and enter the reddit thread. Maybe mentioning that the OFFICIAL word is that this card will NOT have a crossover EVER and that i also said don't buy the product had something to do with it.

posted the thread again, hope it doesn't get deleted this time.
    post edited by Falita - 2021/03/23 17:00:57
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile