Coil whine... oof, a new issue

Author
Veratu
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/10/15 22:14:02 (permalink)
My system has been running perfectly for over a year.  The Nu Audio card has been excellent, and I was running a 2080Ti.  No issues, crystal clear sound, just heavenly... and then the 3090 arrived.  The 3090 is significantly closer to the back of the Nu Audio card, simply due to shear size of the card.  (The 3090 is a damn beast of a card).

And now.. I have coil whine through my audio...  I have the card as far away as I can put it in my motherboard and it's just too close to the 3090...  are there any possible suggestions I can do to reduce this?  If I put the 2080Ti back in, it goes away, so it's definitely EMI... just not sure what I can do about it.

My first thought is get a PCI-E extender and move the audio card several inches away...  but outside of that, not sure what I can do here...  thoughts would be appreciated.

2 Replies Related Threads

Vivicector
    • Total Posts : 70
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Coil whine... oof, a new issue 2020/10/17 00:09:30 (permalink)
    Well, it may be translated through PCI-E so extenders won't save you. However, you may give it a try. Thanks to the cryptomining they are easy to buy. Its impossible to say if it helps until you try. 
    There are some devices as PCI-E filters (installed in PCI-E slot and "catches interference) but I heavily doubt they work properly.
    NeE9ioSoVV
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Coil whine... oof, a new issue 2020/10/18 07:28:08 (permalink)
    I would suggest putting the GPU on a riser and running it outside the case.

If the noise goes away or reduces it is the card directly (And distance will help), if it stays the same the GPU is feeding noise back to the PSU or PCIe rails (not much you can do).
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile