EVGA

Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound

Author
RMui
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2019/10/09 18:54:05 (permalink)
I just received the Nu Audio Sound Card, and I'm having some issues with buzzing when playing games. With my headphones plugged into the IO on the back of sound card, with the included 3.5mm adapter, I can hear an audible buzzing while in game. When I'm not in game, the buzzing is not there. You would think it's coil whine, or EMI, but read on!

If I use my headphones plugged into the front panel sound which is in turn connected to the Nu Audio Sound Card, I am getting little to no buzzing when playing video games. I would have imagine that the unshielded cables for my front panel sound would have yielded the same results on the sound card.

Previously, it did when I tried using the integrated sound on my motherboard. Plugging my headphones on the front panel sound connected to the motherboard, or on the IO on the motherboard yielded the same buzzing sound. 

That now leaves me stumped as to why I cannot use the rear ports on the sound card without me hearing the buzzing sound. Was the shielding on my sound card improperly installed, or is this some other issue? Should I replace this sound card? 

I'm running the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 2700x 
ASRock Taichi X470 
EVGA 850 Gold PSU
EVGA RTX 2080 XC 

8 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/10 14:29:46 (permalink)
    It sounds like there may be some other kind of electrical noise going on in your system if you're hearing it across multiple audio devices.  I'd try the NU Audio in another PCIe slot if possible, and maybe change up your power supply cables or ports you have them in. 

I'd also check to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date, and to turn off any overclocking for now (at least for testing purposes).

I'll send you a debug driver to try to see if it helps, but it's not exactly designed to help this specific issue.
    RMui
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/10 16:39:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for replying. 

I tried the drivers without success in remedying the issue. Also reconfirmed that I'm running the latest BIOS. Additionally, I also tried using two other PCIe slots without success either.

I did notice that when I reduced the power to my video card to about 50% in the Precision X1 software, the buzzing was reduced significantly, but still audible. I turned the fans to 0% rpm and still heard the audible buzzing.

I took a video to record the sound from the video card. I think it's the video card causing my issues. What do you think?
    post edited by RMui - 2019/10/10 17:00:43
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/10 18:12:46 (permalink)

I turned the fans to 0% rpm and still heard the audible buzzing.

You heard the buzzing in your speakers/headphones? Or in the ambient room noise? If ambient room noise, that's what is call coil whine; and is quite common.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

RMui
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/10 18:29:45 (permalink)
    Sound was heard through the headphones, and was audible from within the case. The sound is not audible from the front panel connection, which is connected to the Nu Audio card. If I use the front panel connection and plug it directly into my onboard audio, I can hear the buzzing. 

I would have thought that the audio buzzing would have occurred no matter how I was connected to get audio. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/11 13:46:04 (permalink)
    and was audible from within the case

That is what is called coil whine.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2019/10/11 14:00:18 (permalink)
    I agree with Ty_Ger07 that it sounds like coil whine.  

You state that you hear it without being plugged into the Nu Audio card, with the Nu Audio, with the front panel header connected to the Motherboard, and the only time it stops is when you are connected to the front panel header connected to the audio card.

If you were experiencing it just with the I/O side of the card, I would assume that the issue was with the audio card, but it sounds like something else is causing the issue.  There seem to be too many variables pointing away from the audio card being the cause. 

What is your full system specs?  Which PSU are you using, and are you using the stock cables that came with the power supply?
    CyberPunk71
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2020/04/26 07:52:39 (permalink)
    Hi RMui,

I have also noticed Buzzing through my headphones (Oppo PM 3's) whilst plugged directly into the NU Rear headphone jack, happens whenever I move my mouse, for me it's not Audible whilst music is playing but it's there.
    I suspected the cheap M/board wiring for the front case header which I had connected when installing the card and sure enough having now unplugged that the noise has gone. Have you tried Disconnecting the Front panel header? appreciate you may wish to use it but worth a go to see whether or not that's causing the problem for you, as it was for me !
    Miqunator
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Buzzing While Using Nu Audio Sound 2020/10/01 01:42:03 (permalink)
    I experience similar buzzing so thought I'd drop my experiences in here too.

Buzzing is directly tied to game I play, many games are fine but some even cause audible coil noises. Limiting frame-rate significantly lessens the noise but letting games run free makes it very common (coil noises are extremely rare though). Sensitive headsets (like the Audio-Technica m50x) pick up noise more easily and it happens in almost every game capable of high fps. No difference between front and back connectors.

System stress does NOT have a direct effect on noise, just frame rate. Easiest way to test is to run furmark at different presets, 1440p has no noise (<100fps) but at 720p the noise is really noticable (>200fps). No coil noises though.

I first suspected the early PCIe 4.0 tech for the issues since the sound card wouldn't work at all until I forced the GPU to use 3.0 speeds but since older rigs has similar issues thats probably unrelated.

I'm on the fence for new headphones so I may pick up high impedance ones to see if it solves the problem.

Hardware:
    CPU: Ryzen 3700X
    Motherboard: Asus Strix X570-E
    GPU: Sapphire X5700 XT
    PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

Using all the latest drivers and BIOS
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile