EVGA

AnsweredHoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this...

Author
Zeddikus_Rahl
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/30 16:02:21 (permalink)
Hi JacobF, (or anyone else at EVGA with insight)

I am curious about the outlook of my specific situation. I am waiting to build my gaming PC for the first time by myself. I had zero idea I would be in the situation I'm in now, and ordered all my parts about a week before the 3080 launch. I'm sure none of you folks saw this coming either. I have all my PC components sitting here just waiting for a GPU. I was beyond excited, but that excitement is quickly dying. I'm sure I am not alone in this situation. My main concern however is this: I can't sit here all day everyday hours on end refreshing pages just to be heartbroken time after time after time and see these things go on Ebay. I know it's not your fault. I KNOW you guys are doing this best you can, and I can't fault you when your all trying so hard. I actually applaud you for your commitment to keeping your fans and customers informed. My dad adored EVGA, and up until he passed away in 2017, he always built our gaming PCs with EVGA parts (software too like precision!). He was an absolute die hard fan, which sort of rubbed off lol. I actually remember my very first gpu was a TNT2 (I think thats what it was called). We've come a long long way since...and I've never seen the PC market like this before. It's mind blowing. 

Anyways, back to my point. I had a stroke a couple years ago. I get exhausted very easily (I actually sold my 2017 Harley Low Rider-S to build this gaming PC in fact, because I can no longer ride). I have kinda gotten discouraged however, to the point where I want to send these parts back. It's turned from excitement and happiness, to stress and sadness. I've never seen this much madness and selfishness (bots/scalpers/etc..) over a graphics card. I got blindsided for sure. I'm sure none of you folks at EVGA saw this coming either.

Bottom line... will I realistically be able to acquire one of these EVGA 3080s before Christmas?

I feel like this is a race, in favor of those who can type their payment info in the fastest. I will undoubtedly lose, even if the site was 100% stable. What worries me now, is that with Christmas coming soon it feels like this is going to get even harder than it is now. I just cannot stay up and sit here all hours of the day waiting. My body doesn't have the strength. I envy those that do! If I could sit here all day I would! My gaming sessions are even limited to about 45 mins before I have to get up and move, at least for a little bit.

I've heard alot of people say "just wait until AMD releases big navi and get their GPU.", but I have never owned an AMD card and that would definitely be settling. I can only afford one card, and very much hope to purchase an EVGA model 3080...so I ask; is any hope in sight?
I don't want this to be all for nothing. I see how fast they sell out (within seconds, literally) and I KNOW I will never be able to go as fast as the vast majority of people. Even with my best "fast checkout" bet like Amazon and their one click buy button I seem to lose. Alot of times I even have to retype my password in during checkout even if it shows me as logged in. I can't catch a break lol. I am slow  Gimme some hope if you can! Thanks!

If you take the time to read this, I really appreciate you and what you do for the community.
kglass
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:07:37 (permalink)
Buy a 2080 to get your rig up and running and then process a step up with EVGA. I know it sucks but probably your best option.
post edited by kglass - 2020/09/30 16:16:56

EVGA Z490 Dark KP Edition
Intel I9 10900k
Corsair Vengeance 64 GB
EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
Samsung NVMe 970 PRO 1TB
Samsung NVMe 960 PRO 2TB
EVGA Supernova 1000T2
DELL Ultrasharp UP3017Q 30-inch 4K OLED

z999z3mystorys
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4480
  • Ribbons : 23
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:09:50 (permalink)
One thing you could do, if your computer has no GPU, is buy something like an RTX 2070 super, then use EVGA's step up system found here: https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ to upgrade it to a RTX 3080.

While the queue may take a good while to get through, and have a 3080 sent to you, you'd at least have a GPU in your system that could be used for a few months, and wouldn't have to worry about constant refreshing of a bunch of different websites either.
eldub0844
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:10:23 (permalink)
Hello Zeddikius_Rahl, Very nice to meet you. I read your post, and first of all your health is what matters MOST, not PC parts or gaming cards. YES, I do believe cards will become more plentiful soon! I'm sorry to hear you sold your Low Rider! Just keep in mind, with ANY launch of new silicon products, there's almost always a brief wait for volume to reach the masses, this particular launch has been tougher than most, but with the issues the early adopters have had, I'm ok with waiting until the troubles are sorted out!
pau164
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:15:28 (permalink)
The queue for the step up program has to be so long by now. I hesitate because I'm worried 3080s will become widely available but I'll still be waiting in the queue.
Zeddikus_Rahl
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:17:44 (permalink)
I've heard about this step up program and thought alot about it. What do I pay to get the 3080? My medical expenses are phenomenal tbh and since I can only afford to do this once, I was reluctant on the step up program because of the potential extra cost (I've heard you pay some sort of fees but i'm not sure) and I was also reluctant because someone told me (which I take with a grain of salt of course) that the line being first come first serve is all the way out to next summer  I would hate to drop the rest of my budget in a card and then regret it in November. But it's definitely been on my mind, which is why I was wondering what the situation realistically looks like.

And of course eldub0844 my health is more important. There does come a time where all you can do is enjoy the time you have left. I can't work or go out, so I game when I feel up to it and that's about all I do. So for someone like me, hobbies do become just as important as your health, if i'm being honest. It's hard to explain, but gaming is what keeps my head up alot of times!

Thanks for the advice you guys!
Zeddikus_Rahl
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:27:17 (permalink)
Just now I actually tried to find a 2080. Then I tried a 2070. Then I tried a 2060. It seems even those older cards are sold out on EVGA and alot of other places too  so the step up program may not even be viable. What sites I did see that had a few 2080s, they are just as expensive or in some cases MORE expensive than the new ones which is very strange to me. And these are very limited too it seems, which tells me there is a LOT of people that went with the step up program.

Ah well..I guess i'll continue to hold out hope for better news. Cheers everyone.
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:40:54 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Zeddikus_Rahl 2020/09/30 16:43:04
Hi there, thanks for reaching out. We have a lot more stock incoming and I am pretty confident you will be able to find one before Christmas and likely much sooner than that.

kglass
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:41:30 (permalink)
The 2060's have been trickling in to EVGA's site, they will last about a day or 2 before they are bought up. I would keep trying.

Intel I9 10900k
Corsair Vengeance 64 GB
Samsung NVMe 970 PRO 1TB
Samsung NVMe 960 PRO 2TB
EVGA Supernova 1000T2

kglass
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:42:46 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Hi there, thanks for reaching out. We have a lot more stock incoming and I am pretty confident you will be able to find one before Christmas and likely much sooner than that.

This positivity gives us all hope LOL. Great news!
post edited by kglass - 2020/09/30 16:44:18

Intel I9 10900k
Corsair Vengeance 64 GB
Samsung NVMe 970 PRO 1TB
Samsung NVMe 960 PRO 2TB
EVGA Supernova 1000T2

Zeddikus_Rahl
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 16:44:08 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Wow thank you SO much for responding! You've given me a little hope now and that was enough to brighten my day in more ways than you can imagine! Gaming is all I've got, so thank you!

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 17:17:03 (permalink)
Nice forum handle! I finished reading that epic earlier this year. 

Just to check, what processor did you go with? If you went with an Intel CPU odds are it has an IGP in it you can use in the interim. Not perfect but it would at least allow you to get the system up and running.  

Have water, will cool. 
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 17:26:06 (permalink)
Sounds like massive shipment(s) will be here several times before the end of the year.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Zeddikus_Rahl
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 17:35:08 (permalink)
kougar
Nice forum handle! I finished reading that epic earlier this year. 

Just to check, what processor did you go with? If you went with an Intel CPU odds are it has an IGP in it you can use in the interim. Not perfect but it would at least allow you to get the system up and running.  

Yes, I LOVE the sword of truth series. Amazing. It's awesome to see someone catch the name :)

Im running an intel yes. i9-10850k and have already decided that I would at least start building it tomorrow to make sure everything works right. It's going to take me 2-3 days just to build it. My left hand shakes unless its resting on a hard surface. I got an anti static pad and wristband, but nervous nonetheless lol. I'm going to have my daughter apply the thermal paste. Just so I don't make a huge mess hah.

Full spec if your interested. I'm beyond excited to play some of the upcoming releases with this thing!

i9-10850k
EVGA Z490 Dark
EVGA CLC 360mm AiO
64gb RAM @3600Mhz (2 32gb sticks)
EVGA superNOVA 1000w platinum
1tb nvme
2tb ssd
3x fans on bottom (intake), 3x fans on side (intake), 3 fans on radiator (exhaust)
all in a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
Caffeinated_Sarcasm
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 17:56:41 (permalink)
That sounds like it will be a great rig! I think assembling it is a great idea. As kougar said, the onboard video out will be functional while you test the system.

... I just reread the specs. You have 3 TB worth of SSD storage? Friggin' sweet.

10G-P5-3897-KR     9/26/2020 9:26:35 AM PT    Removed by User    
10G-P5-3895-KR     9/26/2020 9:26:29 AM PT    Removed by User    
10G-P5-3885-KR     9/17/2020 7:47:06 PM PT    Yes
Zeddikus_Rahl
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 18:05:22 (permalink)
Caffeinated_Sarcasm
That sounds like it will be a great rig! I think assembling it is a great idea. As kougar said, the onboard video out will be functional while you test the system.

... I just reread the specs. You have 3 TB worth of SSD storage? Friggin' sweet.

Well I did go all out with permission from my wife of course. But I sold my Harley...so I went big. And also I hate uninstalling games to make space so I had to go big on storage too of course.

Gaming is my only escape now. Gotta love life while ya can. My board came yesterday. My antistatic pad came today. I think I'm ready.

Also thanks for the advice. I completely forgot intel CPUs have integrated graphics. Might as well make sure I don't have any dead parts!

When I was younger (probably in the era of 800mhz cpus) my father finished both our PCs. I was ready to jump on Everquest and game all night when there was some sort of malfunction (i cant recall now which part) and a wire caught fire. Smoke everywhere. Needless to say we had to RMA whatever part that was and it sucked having to wait while he gamed that night lol. I'd hate to wait and build my pc after I get the GPU and have problems and then have to wait. I'd be that little boy all over again. Once was enough lmao.
Caffeinated_Sarcasm
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/09/30 18:50:29 (permalink)
Zeddikus_Rahl
Caffeinated_Sarcasm

Well I did go all out with permission from my wife of course. But I sold my Harley...so I went big. And also I hate uninstalling games to make space so I had to go big on storage too of course.

Gaming is my only escape now. Gotta love life while ya can. My board came yesterday. My antistatic pad came today. I think I'm ready.

Also thanks for the advice. I completely forgot intel CPUs have integrated graphics. Might as well make sure I don't have any dead parts!

When I was younger (probably in the era of 800mhz cpus) my father finished both our PCs. I was ready to jump on Everquest and game all night when there was some sort of malfunction (i cant recall now which part) and a wire caught fire. Smoke everywhere. Needless to say we had to RMA whatever part that was and it sucked having to wait while he gamed that night lol. I'd hate to wait and build my pc after I get the GPU and have problems and then have to wait. I'd be that little boy all over again. Once was enough lmao.

If that's your hobby, then so much the better to get a move on it! I had a new PSU dump the magic smoke years ago. It's such a downer when that happens, so I feel ya.

EverQuest... that's a game I haven't seriously thought about in ages. Those were the days--my original MMO.

10G-P5-3897-KR     9/26/2020 9:26:35 AM PT    Removed by User    
10G-P5-3895-KR     9/26/2020 9:26:29 AM PT    Removed by User    
10G-P5-3885-KR     9/17/2020 7:47:06 PM PT    Yes
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Hoping someone like JacobF @ EVGA will see this... 2020/10/01 14:11:32 (permalink)
Pretty serious rig! And yes, that chip has an IGP so you're good to go there. Thermal paste isn't a huge deal, just take your time and go slow with the screwdriver! Those can cause some damage if they jab or scratch the motherboard.

I hear you about uninstalling games... by the time I finally get around to uninstalling a game there's always either a patch or big update and I end up reinstalling it again. Ya shouldn't have any space constraints with 3TB of SSD storage though!

Have water, will cool. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile