EVGA

Helpful ReplyWater block, tubes, fitting and Coolant Recommendations?

Author
deaistar
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/09/28 01:20:16 (permalink)
Hi All,

Going to get into custom water cooling and wondered if anyone have any recommendations on the above subject?

Going to set up an RGB theme rig and currently looking for good recommendations:

• Clear/Transparent water blocks

• Tubing (Prefer hard tubing for clearer look)

• Coolant (Clear coolant)

• Fitting (Silver)

Are there any preferred sellers you would buy this from?

Also, what do you think about pre-bent 90 tubes?

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Water block, tubes, fitting and Coolant Recommendations? 2020/09/28 21:37:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby deaistar 2020/10/01 18:34:54
Be aware that acrylic/plexiglass is inherently easy to crack if overtightening metal fittings. The smallest crack will continue to propagate once it happens and eventually start to leak once it gets big enough. I've personally lost two reservoirs to the problem and it's why I only use plastic fittings instead of metal if they screw directly into the acrylic. People can and do use plexiglass, but you need to realize how fragile the stuff is before you start using it or you will be having expensive replacements. 

If you're going clear then I recommend skipping the coolant and using just distilled water + algaecide. It will act as a full biocide so nothing will grow in the loop, and there's nothing to break down because all coolants with dyes do eventually break down sooner or later.

I use soft tubing but I'm lazy and I prefer the flexibility, there's nothing pretty about how crammed full of stuff my case currently is. I will let others speak for hard tubing as I don't have personal experience with it, but it does have its own advantages/disadvantages. You will want a lot of extra tubing if teaching yourself how to do your own bends. 

As for fittings, they are probably "silver-plated" and you don't want those, once the silver goes you will be using whatever metal is underneath it. I recommend against using silver coils as well, no need to add extra metals to the loop or have that stuff running through the pump. Nickel-plated fittings are fine in copper loops, most blocks are nickel-plated already. Brass works too, though brass has zinc in it so copper will discolor eventually, but it's just cosmetic. Don't use aluminum anything unless the loop is 100% aluminum.

Have water, will cool. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Water block, tubes, fitting and Coolant Recommendations? 2020/09/29 14:00:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby deaistar 2020/10/01 18:34:47
I'm happy enough with EK blocks, fittings & they sell clear coolant

Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

Warning: Keep alcohol & acetone away from your plexi

I usually buy from Performance PCs

Your case has a big impact on what will fit.  Take your time & make a plan - so everything will fit

Make sure you have a way to drain the loop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

deaistar
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Water block, tubes, fitting and Coolant Recommendations? 2020/09/29 14:22:07 (permalink)
Thanks for the taking the time to give me advice on this and great links, I will check them out!

I'm going to build it in a Lian-Li PC-O11DW Dynamic Mid Tower Tempered Glass.

Currently have 6 LL120 White fans and thinking of getting a 360 rad. Not sure if I need 2..
post edited by deaistar - 2020/09/29 14:24:51
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Water block, tubes, fitting and Coolant Recommendations? 2020/09/30 00:00:09 (permalink)
For a full GPU+CPU loop I would suggest more than a single 360 rad, it will offer better performance or allow you to run the fans slower for less noise. Be aware radiators also come in different thicknesses too, and thicker rads inherently have more surface area and better performance for it. They typically range anywhere from 25mm up to 60mm, with a few brands going even past that.

Have water, will cool. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile