EVGA

Q - 3080 for VR Development

Author
SpencerSpencerSpencer
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/21 13:21:42 (permalink)
Greetings! I recently joined a new lab as a postdoc and I've been asked to start incorporating VR into our research (sensory processing, stroke/TBI rehab, etc). Without going into too much detail two months ago my lab starting building a PC and we still don't have a functioning computer, which means I'm not getting any VR research done. No research means no publications, and no publications means I won't get funding, and no funding means I'll be out of a job. So independently I started building my own PC (1950x), mostly out of leftover parts from friends, and I have almost everything but I still need a GPU.
Now I don't have a strong background in computer engineering or programming, but I was hoping you guys could help me understand which 30x0 would be the best choice for creating VR sims in unreal using blueprint. 

Thanks!

10 Replies Related Threads

Bcassiman
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/21 13:26:32 (permalink)
    VR you’d probably want the 3090 from what I hear thx to the Vram. But I’m sure there’s lots of literature out there.
    richpergrem
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/21 13:42:52 (permalink)
    Wait until the 20gb 3080
    SpencerSpencerSpencer
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/22 06:23:01 (permalink)
    Bcassiman
    VR you’d probably want the 3090 from what I hear thx to the Vram. But I’m sure there’s lots of literature out there.

richpergrem
    Wait until the 20gb 3080

It looks like I'll end up taking whatever I can get, 3080/3090/AMD. Unfortunately, time is not my friend in this scenario. 
    Frammish
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/22 06:47:27 (permalink)
    Honestly, if in a time crunch, might consider a 2080. I’ve been in that waiting on hardware limbo and it sucks having your committee asking you what you’ve been doing. If all else fails, you can detail the things you learned with the 2080 that bolsters an argument for a 3000 series.

The 2080 has the same kinds of features with RTX cores and such. It won’t perform as well as well as a 3000, but you can get going and swap cards later. It would probably be a direct swap.

There are ways around these kinds of roadblocks. One time I had to write a full instrument control and data acquisition package without the instrument. Had I waited, I would have been over a month behind. By coding dummy routines for the bits I lacked, when I got the instrument I was able to modify the dummy routines to actually work and had it all working over a weekend and freaked management out in the best way possible.

There’s almost always stuff you can do. Don’t let a card being unavailable or hard to get slow you down. If nothing else it gets you allies to defend your position if things don’t pan out.

Good luck!
    SpencerSpencerSpencer
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/22 08:48:11 (permalink)
    Frammish
    Honestly, if in a time crunch, might consider a 2080. I’ve been in that waiting on hardware limbo and it sucks having your committee asking you what you’ve been doing. If all else fails, you can detail the things you learned with the 2080 that bolsters an argument for a 3000 series.

The 2080 has the same kinds of features with RTX cores and such. It won’t perform as well as well as a 3000, but you can get going and swap cards later. It would probably be a direct swap.

There are ways around these kinds of roadblocks. One time I had to write a full instrument control and data acquisition package without the instrument. Had I waited, I would have been over a month behind. By coding dummy routines for the bits I lacked, when I got the instrument I was able to modify the dummy routines to actually work and had it all working over a weekend and freaked management out in the best way possible.

There’s almost always stuff you can do. Don’t let a card being unavailable or hard to get slow you down. If nothing else it gets you allies to defend your position if things don’t pan out.

Good luck!

Thanks mate, the lab actually has a 2080 Super XC Ultra stuck in limbo somewhere but it's technically lab equipment and shouldn't leave the hospital. Plus I don't really want to be transporting a GPU back and forth regularly. If cards don't become available in a week or two I'll probably end up getting a 2080 and but that would feel like flushing money down the toilet unless that drop in price dramatically. 
    Frammish
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/22 09:12:40 (permalink)
    Oh, so this is you buying a card personally to use for work at home?

In that case, I’d say 3080 from what you say. Lower cost, lots of performance, but hard to get. 3090 cards might be easier to get because of the big price differential but you would be paying that differential. If you are considering the 3090, maybe one of the XC3 line? If you can swing a lower end 3090, you might be able to get going faster. That gets you up the curve as people get differentiated out based on price, but not sure your resources. I’m guessing money is as much a consideration as time. All I can tell you is I experimented with building Unreal environments in VR when I got my 2080Ti and it wasn’t bad at all. Very workable. You can always reduce detail when designing and then build final versions with things turned up to whatever levels you choose. Not familiar with Blueprint. May have used it or not when I was trying Unreal but I don’t know.

And depending on the gathered parts, a 3090 might push you to being CPU bound and not using all the power that a 3090 can provide. But you would have a good card in hand while you upgrade other parts. That might push you more to 3080 but getting those is difficult now.

A 2080 isn’t a bad card, though. Even though you would be buying into the last generation, there’s a lot of Unreal development that was done on them.
    GamingExports
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/24 09:47:18 (permalink)
    SpencerSpencerSpencer
    Greetings! I recently joined a new lab as a postdoc and I've been asked to start incorporating VR into our research (sensory processing, stroke/TBI rehab, etc). Without going into too much detail two months ago my lab starting building a PC and we still don't have a functioning computer, which means I'm not getting any VR research done. No research means no publications, and no publications means I won't get funding, and no funding means I'll be out of a job. So independently I started building my own PC (1950x), mostly out of leftover parts from friends, and I have almost everything but I still need a GPU.
    Now I don't have a strong background in computer engineering or programming, but I was hoping you guys could help me understand which 30x0 would be the best choice for creating VR sims in unreal using blueprint. 

3080 release version doesn't have enough ram for VR dev. I'd go with 3090, two 2080ti's or wait for BIG Navi.
    programmer8922
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/09/24 10:00:46 (permalink)
    You might want to just pick up an RTX 2070 Super, and then enter the step-up queue, that way you can get to doing actual research more quickly. Another option would be a b-stock 1080ti, but that won't allow you to step-up.
    ReZpawN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 304
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/10/09 03:09:44 (permalink)
    Check to make sure if software you will be using runs better on nvidia or amd because some of them do run better on one or the other
    loudee16
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: Q - 3080 for VR Development 2020/10/09 12:34:40 (permalink)
    i have the rift s, everyone is telling me to get rid of it and get the quest, which you dont need a computer for.. i dont know what to do..
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile