EVGA

PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advantage.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/20 09:58:50 (permalink)
delicieuxz
Intoxicus
So you agree that it takes more than just PreOrders to make a difference in bots then...

I do agree with that.

Thank you and Respect.

The real point of the thread is to try and get discussion going on what measures could truly make a difference.

The trouble is anything people can do, people can undo. It's the same game with physical security likes safes, and digital security like encryption.
The game is more about making it more effort than it is worth than having a solution that is unbeatable.

How can we make it more effort than it is worth to bot?
Deep fakes make it only a matter of time before it's easy to fake a human voice in a phone call convincingly.

Using blockchain maybe? The way blockchain works makes a secure ledger that is very very difficult to interfere with. I'm not sure how to apply it so that it can help ensure only humans get cards though.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
Saltgrass
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/20 10:38:27 (permalink)
The only real answer to stopping the bots is to get folks to not buy from third party resellers.  But since those folks are unaware or don't care about the situation, this is probably not a realistic option.. but it might slow down the bot sales..

The only thing I might think would help, at the first request for a notify is a verify e-mail which would contain some type of verification which had to be answered and sent back to confirm the notify request..  But a way around even this would be found eventually.  It might help if it was done just prior to an initial release of new products. 

I am currently getting spam e-mail for different online retail sites.  Even though I try to block them, I notice the user name and Domain are totally random.  If bots work the same way, maybe some type of pattern recognition could stop some..

It is a shame, that someone who might have a new system or wants to upgrade for the latest games, has to bump up against such a situation..

W11 x64
Asus Maximus Hero XIII
Intel i9 11900K
 EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra
 32 GB G.Skill 4000.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/20 12:13:05 (permalink)
One might consider looking at it this way as well...
  1. Nvidia "Could" change the pricing to the scalping prices at the initial release and make everyone mad but those willing to wait for the prices to come down. I mean, if folks are willing to pay 4x's the MSRP for the initial 3080's, why not release the 3090's at $4500? With a "Mail in rebate" of $3000 to only those proven to not be from 3rd party or "Bot" snags? 
  2. Folks willing to pay the scalpers/bots more than MSRP are getting what the deserve and paying for it too. So really, what is the harm in waiting?

I am eagerly waiting like the rest of you. One must be patient. The demand cannot stay peaked forever, or NVidia has finally found the "Silver bullet". Then we end up winning anyways because the value of the older cards will also increase.

Good old supply and demand...

Guydodge1021
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/21 04:39:18 (permalink)
there has to be active software constantly changing the parameters.
to stay ahead of the bots.writing a program then leaving it be as is 
can easily be bypassed.this would take money and constant monitoring
and lets face it.they just want the money you think they care where it comes
from.ive purchased a EVGA 760,780,980ti classified,1650sc and a 1080ti.
all on record.when its all said and done this means nothing to them.
their loyalty is to the cash not the customer.accept you are secondary
and the wait isnt so bad.

ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 Mid-Tower Computer Case W/smoked tempered glass
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER
 Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked
HyperX Predator Black 32GB kit 3333MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP memory
 EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA 24GB
1-- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State (O.S only)
jpotter
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/21 05:39:01 (permalink)
Why is this thread okay for the 3000 series forums, but my thread asking about bots was moved to General?
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/21 08:23:47 (permalink)
Afterburner
Posts have been removed.

Enough. Personal attacks are not allowed. We encourage opinions. Just because some align with one person or not, is not our problem. It is your opinion that we are also allowing.

If it continues I will lock threads like this down and give folks time away from being able to post here.

Follow the TOS And thank you for your understanding...  

What do you think this whole post is? It's a personal attack upon people who are asking for pre-orders and to get into a queue.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

jmehalik
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: PreOrders will NOT stop botting and are NOT bot proof. PreOrders do not give an advant 2020/09/26 13:00:58 (permalink)
preorders allow for stock to be distributed more consistantly, so scalper prices dont spike within the first 5 seconds of release
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile