EVGA

When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart again?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:35:52 (permalink)
Cerulean_Shaman
EVGATech_DanielM
vgerik1234
EVGATech_DanielM

Every single order is vetted and verified to be actual human beings. Anything that looks out of the ordinary is cancelled and refunded. You are one of thousands who have attempted to get a card at launch. 

Would it be safe to assume you guys have metrics on stuff like time to order, time to check out, time item sitting in cart, etc? And that is how you vet if it was human or not? Or 'no comment' to keep the method of verifying a secret. Totally understand if that is the case.

Well, putting a item in the cart does not reserve the product from our stock. We absolutely have the data to see what time frame it takes for a person to check out but with launches and sales, the crush of traffic some times skews those numbers. We review all orders that are placed and each are verified by the accounting team. I wish I could provide more information but I can tell you newer accounts are scrutinized more than accounts that have a standing history in regards to orders. If an order looks off, we will cancel it and require the customer to call in from the billing to verify information on the order. 

This craziness that bots took everything is obviously silly, as it's obvious some regular Joes managed to snag one, and there were very real, rational issues like server stability and limited stock. However, on the flip side, and with all due respect, I'm not sure you understand why people might want to use bots. There isn't a machine revolution trying to get GPU power or something, it's usually a human who use scripts to help give them an advantage so they can attempt purchases at multiple stores at the same time faster than most people. If the heart of your investigations is simply gut feelings about something being off and/or verifying there's a human on the other, then it's not really doing anything. Someone will obviously reply, or hand wave it and say they were just quick. Something like captcha is designed to prevent automated processes from successfully ever getting to the end and tend to be very effective from my limited understanding. A lot of limited edition-type stuff elsewhere - like sneakers - often use stuff exactly like captcha (among other similar systems, and some backend ones I hear) to prevent this exactly, and it's become kind of joke that the difficulty of some of those is what keeps people from getting their limited edition whatever.

But I've never seen any general tech merchant ever adopt this, so eh, and I guess I can't expect a place like the EVGA store or Newegg to be specialized for the handling of limited stock like what you see with the constant fight from vendors against ticket scalpers and limited sneaker hoarders, etc.

I've yet to see anyone post proof they got one online.
baudman
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:37:32 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
Ciddharthas
Daniel, do you know if the ftw ultra actually went on sale and sold out today, or is the product listing that says "sold out" just a placeholder until that model becomes available due to delays?

Just a placeholder. No FTW3 were sold. We wanted to at least put up the pages for when they launch. Jacob on Twitter will usually give the heads up when that launches :)

How many cards did you release on the site today? Total?
Jldowning85
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:39:46 (permalink)
I wonder if the 3090 will sell out as quickly, seems more niche of a product. Its supposed to go on sell today as well right? 
q5sys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:42:06 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
Quite possibly our mailing server also was affected by the crush of traffic. I do know that Gmail does tend to send our emails to spam, not sure if this is the case for this morning however. As of the placeholder pages yesterday, I know there was well over 3000 auto notification sign ups 

You guys don't segment your infrastructure like has been standard practice for retailers and businesses for about two decades now?  You're running your mailserver on the same exact machine as your store... really...?  Last time I knew of a place still doing that... they were preparing for the Y2K bug.
lol

Seriously, someone at EVGA needs to take fiasco as a hint that your infrastructure needs a refresh and be properly managed.

KewlMunky
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:44:34 (permalink)
Jldowning85
I wonder if the 3090 will sell out as quickly, seems more niche of a product. Its supposed to go on sell today as well right? 

No. It goes on sale Thursday September 24th.
Jldowning85
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:45:24 (permalink)
KewlMunky
Jldowning85

No. It goes on sale Thursday September 24th.

Aww crap... thought today and the 24th was for the 3070. whoops lol

ngaugler
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 09:47:17 (permalink)
q5sys

Seriously, someone at EVGA needs to take fiasco as a hint that your infrastructure needs a refresh and be properly managed.
I agree.  I offered in another post.  I own a consulting firm that specializes in scaling, optimization and cost reduction.

Shield Wulf
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 10:21:19 (permalink)
I'm hoping that the 16 GB RDNA2 gpus are more readily available at this point. I could've gotten a Zotac today but for $1100 Canadian. It's performs about 3% below the FE. I think Nvidia is holding on to chips for the more expensive 20GB models.
gunslingerx64
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 10:34:56 (permalink)
Shield Wulf
I could've gotten a Zotac today

Zotac cards are trash in every way
Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 10:35:04 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
Airikay
EVGATech_DanielM
Every single order is vetted and verified to be actual human beings. Anything that looks out of the ordinary is cancelled and refunded. You are one of thousands who have attempted to get a card at launch. 

I think the bigger issue here is that your site can apparently only handle traffic from a few thousand people then. If the site wasn't mostly down I don't think you would have many people complaining, of course there would still be some. But the stock is out of your hands, how your website runs is completely your fault.

Few thousand is quite possibly the farthest away from the actual number you can imagine. Customers from all over the world visit the site, not just the US. As far as I am aware, we are one of the only manufacturers who actually sells on their own website. 

Definitely more than a few thousand. Off hand would guess probably well over 1 million.
Generally websites accomodate for regular traffic numbers which is why these big release can overwhelm servers. It's a tricky issue to mitigate. Even if using rental servers to boost capacity for a day or so things can still go wrong. And the cost of those extra servers could be cost inefficient enough to be preventative to using that option at all.

Using recaptcha could have helped, although is not perfect either. For example I've been having issues with completely broken recaptchas on Chrome. Which could feel unfair if only some customers can get through based on the luck of the Captcha throwing up errors or not.

Canada only had allocations in the range of 90-100 per retailer if that chat someone posted was accurate. The stock was very extra limited and this it would have been difficult to get one no matter what. Would speculate there was maybe around 15,000(almost definitely under 20k) units allocated across all brands and retailers for *all of Canada.*

I saw that post about a "First Right of Refusal" and it might be a decent idea. Some people will whinge about "unfairness" no matter what truly. If we can at least keep the cards away from scalpers that would be a hugely positive change. Long time customers get priority and first dibs. If they're caught scalping they get banned from "Advanced PreOrders" or whatever EVGA wants to call it.

Memory Express is doing in person and over the phone PreOrders(Canada only; RIP their phones lines when Canadians catch on.) And that is how I will get my FTW3 Ultra.
Maybe online PreOrders are a flawed concept and we need to get back to waiting in lines and camping out over night?

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
pocketdrummer
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 14:03:40 (permalink)
liquidblue1985
USALion
the_Scarlet_one
Bots aren’t the issue. You may as well stop feed that rumor mill.

Do you actually believe that? I know you work for them (or volunteer for them) but the objective signs and data point otherwise. EVGA is having its ass handed to it on Twitter right now, not a single user has replied that they got a card, but ebay has tons listed. Having family in the music industry, I see this all the time with concert event tickets. Bots are absolutely the issue. You are doing a disservice to your customers by lying and saying otherwise.

I got one, so does that automatically mean I'm a bot?

Yes, now assimilate.

Joking aside, just because you managed to get one doesn't mean bots didn't as well. And just because there are bots doesn't mean the majority of the sales weren't to legit customers. If anything, EVGA should take a look at their data, see if there's a pattern of abuse, and then be transparent about it.
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 14:22:43 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

If they aren't an issue, then why are people posting screenshots on twitter of their confirmed 3080 orders they were able to get using bots?
gpkgpk
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 14:32:16 (permalink)
Intoxicus
EVGATech_DanielM
Airikay
EVGATech_DanielM

I think the bigger issue here is that your site can apparently only handle traffic from a few thousand people then. If the site wasn't mostly down I don't think you would have many people complaining, of course there would still be some. But the stock is out of your hands, how your website runs is completely your fault.

Few thousand is quite possibly the farthest away from the actual number you can imagine. Customers from all over the world visit the site, not just the US. As far as I am aware, we are one of the only manufacturers who actually sells on their own website. 

Definitely more than a few thousand. Off hand would guess probably well over 1 million.
Generally websites accomodate for regular traffic numbers which is why these big release can overwhelm servers. It's a tricky issue to mitigate. Even if using rental servers to boost capacity for a day or so things can still go wrong. And the cost of those extra servers could be cost inefficient enough to be preventative to using that option at all.

Using recaptcha could have helped, although is not perfect either. For example I've been having issues with completely broken recaptchas on Chrome. Which could feel unfair if only some customers can get through based on the luck of the Captcha throwing up errors or not.

Canada only had allocations in the range of 90-100 per retailer if that chat someone posted was accurate. The stock was very extra limited and this it would have been difficult to get one no matter what. Would speculate there was maybe around 15,000(almost definitely under 20k) units allocated across all brands and retailers for *all of Canada.*

I saw that post about a "First Right of Refusal" and it might be a decent idea. Some people will whinge about "unfairness" no matter what truly. If we can at least keep the cards away from scalpers that would be a hugely positive change. Long time customers get priority and first dibs. If they're caught scalping they get banned from "Advanced PreOrders" or whatever EVGA wants to call it.

Memory Express is doing in person and over the phone PreOrders(Canada only; RIP their phones lines when Canadians catch on.) And that is how I will get my FTW3 Ultra.
Maybe online PreOrders are a flawed concept and we need to get back to waiting in lines and camping out over night?

Hmm you think 15k in all of Canada? Seems like way less to me but I have no real data so complete speculation on my part.

post edited by gpkgpk - 2020/09/17 14:51:24

gpkgpk
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 14:51:05 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
Ciddharthas
Daniel, do you know if the ftw ultra actually went on sale and sold out today, or is the product listing that says "sold out" just a placeholder until that model becomes available due to delays?

Just a placeholder. No FTW3 were sold. We wanted to at least put up the pages for when they launch. Jacob on Twitter will usually give the heads up when that launches :)

Wait, if it's just a placeholder, what does it mean for your order if you paid in full at a physical store for a FTW3?
In the Q for imminent shipping? Backordered for a month?

Bcassiman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:04:57 (permalink)
yeeeah reports already coming out of bots buying multiple cards. One guy got 42 units and multiple others showing over a dozen. Same cats that buy rare sneakers and flip them for profit. PC magazine has a whole article on it with photos posted by scalpers.
post edited by Bcassiman - 2020/09/17 15:14:19
twism
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:09:58 (permalink)
Ya, interesting...Will someone from EVGA reach out to NVIDIA to tell them its not the bots!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/nvidia-is-manually-reviewing-rtx-3080-orders-to-stop-scalpers

Nvidia told PCMag it saw “unprecedented demand” for the RTX 3080 at global retailers and its own website. “At 6 am pacific we attempted to push the Nvidia store live. Despite preparation, the Nvidia store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error,” the company added. 
Nvidia was able to address the errors and begin taking orders normally, but the company is indicating that “bots and scalpers” have tried to buy the product as well.   
To stop bots and scalpers on the Nvidia store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers,” the company said while adding: “We apologize to our customers for this morning's experience.” 
twism
Superclocked Member
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:10:52 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

Will you please tell Nvidia to stop feeding the rumor mill. 

Nvidia told PCMag it saw “unprecedented demand” for the RTX 3080 at global retailers and its own website. “At 6 am pacific we attempted to push the Nvidia store live. Despite preparation, the Nvidia store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error,” the company added. 
Nvidia was able to address the errors and begin taking orders normally, but the company is indicating that “bots and scalpers” have tried to buy the product as well.   
“To stop bots and scalpers on the Nvidia store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers,” the company said while adding: “We apologize to our customers for this morning's experience.” 
SpriteCup1
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 360
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:27:54 (permalink)
I know the moderators and staff are trying to do damage control, but so much cringe at some of their replies. lmao

In the dark, I can feel You in my sleep.. In Your arms I feel You breathe in to me. Forever hold this heart that I will give to You, Forever I will live for You!
brentsg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:42:50 (permalink)
Whatever it was that created demand, I got logged out and getting back in past the captcha was difficult because the site wouldn't respond to my "i'm not a bot" clicks.

When I finally did get something in cart, there were multiples (on accident from all the clicking) and then removing extras took minutes.  By then stuff was OOS.  I didn't even get taunted by checkout issues.
aardvark1134
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/17 15:59:30 (permalink)
I was able to get a 3080 into the cart but it was sold out when I tried to pay

Associate Code: XSFS5KM9FAHNVOC

Mandalorian1977
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 00:58:36 (permalink)
These bots are gonna be crushing my soul for another month or two, i think. And i keep letting them. 
guitarwar241
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 01:19:22 (permalink)
Hopefully early next week. 
aardvark1134
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 04:59:37 (permalink)
I am kinda glad the bots didn't let me pick one up yet with the whole capacitor gate not following min reference spec thing some brands are accused of.   Weather its a big deal or not has yet to been seen but since brands are changing over to the better one by the time the bots let me have one I will be getting the newer style and not have to worry if it's an issue or not.

Associate Code: XSFS5KM9FAHNVOC

wedansti
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 10:44:32 (permalink)
aardvark1134
I am kinda glad the bots didn't let me pick one up yet with the whole capacitor gate not following min reference spec thing some brands are accused of.   Weather its a big deal or not has yet to been seen but since brands are changing over to the better one by the time the bots let me have one I will be getting the newer style and not have to worry if it's an issue or not.

Silver linings
guitarwar241
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 12:08:19 (permalink)
Yeah, I've been super happy that I wasn't able to snag a Zotac or Gigabyte card last week if they're having issues. Kind of like a blessing in disguise. 
schweibreezy
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 14:38:07 (permalink)
FTW are belong to us!
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 14:53:48 (permalink)

When bots are managing to grab 42 cards for just ONE of their many customers, and many other individual customers claiming a dozen or more verified orders each, there is a huge, HUGE problem.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/315210-resellers-used-bots-to-dominate-the-rtx-3080-launch

post edited by Nereus - 2020/09/26 14:59:13

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

gterry180
Superclocked Member
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 16:29:49 (permalink)
I found someone with 5 EVGA cards, not sure if they got them from newegg or here but that's pretty sad.
adaemus
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 16:54:43 (permalink)
You can definitely count on it!
Yesterdays_news
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: When is FTW3 coming out, so I can get my hopes up and destroyed by bots in the cart ag 2020/09/26 17:11:49 (permalink)
I hope I can secure one this week. would love to finally put this 1440p monitor to work
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile