EVGA

The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it loade

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
dragmagpuff
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 10:31:22 (permalink)
For as painful as getting a Valve Index was (~16 week wait), it was wonderful to just put in the request, and then just get the payment email when it it was ready to ship. No F5'ing, just a queue, and zero stress.
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 10:34:09 (permalink)
Yeah EVGA site was a bust for me this morning.
Scalpers must have had it maxed out.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

buttabean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 10:41:41 (permalink)
Malkuth74
I mean even Steam sells the Index in a que.. 4 Month wait.. Why is this so difficult for video cards?  I waited for my index, I can wait for a dam video card!! 

This is the way...

I do wonder if this selling tactic helps them move preexisting inventory. Jensen probably just likes playing the Dr Evil role and watching his peons squirm lol

Associate Discount Code: KQ9JGG4415FXHVQ 
zeroseoul
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:33:07 (permalink)
Think of it another way. Imagine you own a business, you have product cycles, expectations, and release dates. An item such as the Steam Index is a bad comparison as its not a cycle based item where people anticipate upgrades every so often.

Now imagine having a 1 or 2 year queue for GPU's, you have to setup your pipeline and manufacturing to handle this. In most cases, you have contracts and pay for these things pretty much upfront.

Now, lets say 1 year in, GPU X comes out. What do you do if customers queued from 12-24 months ask for refunds, cancellations? You've already paid for the capacity to build units based on the forecast here.

It's going to be a hard time for enthusiasts who really love gaming, even harder for those who have less funds to pay bloated pricing. Heck, I blame miners for blasting up the prices of cards several years ago. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, companies need to make money, and at the bottom line people do.

Current Build:
CPU: Intel i7-8770k @ stock speeds
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z370-A
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence
GPU: GTX 970 FTW
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750G2
ngaugler
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 138
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:45:22 (permalink)
zeroseoul
Think of it another way. Imagine you own a business, you have product cycles, expectations, and release dates. An item such as the Steam Index is a bad comparison as its not a cycle based item where people anticipate upgrades every so often.

Now imagine having a 1 or 2 year queue for GPU's, you have to setup your pipeline and manufacturing to handle this. In most cases, you have contracts and pay for these things pretty much upfront.

Now, lets say 1 year in, GPU X comes out. What do you do if customers queued from 12-24 months ask for refunds, cancellations? You've already paid for the capacity to build units based on the forecast here.

It's going to be a hard time for enthusiasts who really love gaming, even harder for those who have less funds to pay bloated pricing. Heck, I blame miners for blasting up the prices of cards several years ago. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, companies need to make money, and at the bottom line people do.

Telsa figured out how to do it with cars, surely someone can figure out how to do it with video cards?
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:46:52 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
Zone15
EVGATech_DanielM
I understand some people are upset they did not get a product at launch. This is not the end of the world. We will have more soon :)

I don't think you truly understand just how bad of an experience this was for a customer.  It's not about not getting the product at launch.  To have the product in my cart for almost an hour and having your website crash and not let me checkout is mind-blowingly infuriating.  So much wasted time due to EVGA's inability to keep their website online during what they had to know would be a huge surge of traffic.

I am also a customer who wanted a 3080 but did not get a chance to get one. I have been up since 5:30 am attempting to get one myself from multiple retailers to no avail. This is one of the biggest performance jump releases in quite some time. Not getting one on the first day does not mean that we are done manufacturing them. 

But how else will they go online and show off their 3080 and how they got it day 1 because they're better than all of us?

lmao, that's the real reason why people buy them RIGHT AWAY, just to say they have one. smh.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

q5sys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:48:41 (permalink)
Delirious
transdogmifier

And since it happens every cycle, they should know it's coming.
 I'm not accepting this as an excuse.
(not that it matters) 

I'm sure they do but the cost, as stated, doesn't not necessitate 365 days a year on the bandwidth costs.   Releases are normally once or twice a year per product line.

You do realize it's possible to scale infrastructure up and down as need increases and decreases right?  They don't need to pay for everything all year long.  If you build your infrastructure properly, its very easy to rapidly scale out and then shrink back down as needed.
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:48:45 (permalink)
Heck even the forums were constantly crashing for me this morning.
Not good.
I certainly now will not be getting my hopes up for that new 3090 FTW3 anytime soon.
Have the money. Just want one card.
Scalpers gotta eat though huh.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

zeroseoul
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 11:57:08 (permalink)
ngaugler
zeroseoul

Telsa figured out how to do it with cars, surely someone can figure out how to do it with video cards?

Probably could, just would need to re-tool the market as a whole and how GPU's have shorter product cycles in comparison to cars. Components aren't exactly robust enough to be used throughout as much as a car either. 

There are definitely strategies and ideas that could be put into use, I don't know what would work but it would require some work to figure out.

Current Build:
CPU: Intel i7-8770k @ stock speeds
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z370-A
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence
GPU: GTX 970 FTW
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750G2
WilkPolarny
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 12:40:50 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
The fact of the matter is, just like every other web store that crashed, they do not have the surge capacity. This happens every launch cycle because it does not make business sense to keep 30 times your normal traffic volume as idle capacity except for one or two days a year. Bandwidth cost money folks. There's no comparison to in person retail when you actually physically holding a product inline for purchase. The analog would be waiting in a long line of hundred people when only 5 are available. If you were not there (or nearly the first in line) you should have expected to be SOL. It is a matter of luck. I did not even bother.

You don't need to keep that peak capacity idle. At least whenever I design such systems, they auto adjust and auto deploy resources within a certain range. For planned events (where like 700+% of the average traffic is to be expected), clients usually just scale up their container based solution beforehand and call it a day. Most of the time you would like to serve cached content anyways, so ... yea.
Spurious_ECG
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 15:42:15 (permalink)
Simple solution: all purchasers should be given a Voight-Kampff. 

Malkuth74
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 15:57:14 (permalink)
zeroseoul

Sorry man. I appreciate the response but your not using a great example. VR headset are on par or worse when it comes to turn over vs video cards. I had my 1080 2 years now, and started with vive hdm, and now just got an Index hdm.

Your comparison is way off. VR changes with newer and better every 6 month to year. The index is already almost outdated.

I7 8700K OC (4.7 GHZ)
EVGA CLS 240 MM AIO
AsRock 370 MB
EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra
32 Gigs Ram G-Skill RipSaws DDR4 3200
WD Black SSD NvMe 1 TB.
Seasonic Focus 750 80+ Gold
on1yalad
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 17:41:26 (permalink)
transdogmifier
smeikle82
EVGATech_DanielM
I understand some people are upset they did not get a product at launch. This is not the end of the world. We will have more soon :)

Wow, could you have possibly given a more tone deaf response to what people were actually saying on here?

I don't have a problem with this response..it's factual. He's trying to help, not be a jerk. Your unhappiness about missing the card doesn't change that.

What would you like him to do?

It is tone deaf while Factual... but many of us are long time and exclusive EVGA buyers and this is the 4 gen that the same experience has happen. This happened with 980 as well as later with 980ti , same for 1080/1080ti even later the 1080ti hybrid, and happened with launch of 20 series... now with 30 series. 

i too had a card in cart and clicked Go to check out to then be given the error page 

Then when the site loaded again i got this

so yes patience is keen here but what we keep seeing is the same experience, and lack of stop gaps or solutions to make it less of a hamster race. 

This should be just a preorder and when they get stock they are processed in the order received and any suspect purchases should be voided. 

For Years the EVGA brand has been tied to customer first and these card releases fall short of that for the past 4 generations...dont you want us as customers or should we go to different brands cause that is the only way we can get card XXXX.

Lastly i will share my experience with Covid and getting a Woom Bike for my little one. 
Woom realized that the demand was too great so they sent out a release saying  something along the lines of this ---- Hi Friends, We are dealing with Covid along side you and demand had sky rocketed but stock is out, but we have a plan and here is how we will handle it. 
1. click the auto notify and we will add you to a pre-order list based on when your notification was added
2. we will send out stock updates and timeline at these intervals so you know where manufacturing stands and we will try and provide dates when we will have product
3. we will then provide a table that shows when you should expect to receive your product based on when you signed up for notification of stock availability (notification signed up in May 2020 expect to receive product by August 15-30) 
https://faq.us.woombikes.com/article/137-how-can-i-check-wait-times-for-a-woom-bike?utm_campaign=Bike%20Pre-order%20Update%20%28TZC58P%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Back%20In%20Stock%20-%20woom%201%20-%20Didn%27t%20Buy&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJub3JyaXNzaXVtQGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkg2TGR0WiJ9
4. Once product is post manufacture stage we will send you an email with a custom link of the product you requested and it will allow you to pay for the item(1 per house hold)
5. once we receive it at our warehouse we will ship it off 

Maybe it is a different world but the communication is top notch and they prioritize their customers. This is a similar brand to EVGA as they are consumer first, but woom has done is they have set expectations so consumers on how they will get their product and dont have to drop everythign to knwo if they can even buy something. and that is the DAMN problem sitting at a computer hitting f5 or waiting for a page to load is just at this point disgusting. 

Intel i7 5820K @ 4.6GHz, 32GB G-Skill RipJaws 4@ 2400MHz, 2x EVGA 980ti w/ AIO Hybrid cooler, EVGA x99 Classified, 4x Intel 730 SSD 480GB, 2x HGST 3TB, NZXT Kraken X61, Dell U3415W 21:9, BenQ XL2420TX, Windows 10 Pro, CM Carbide Air 540, EVGA Supernova 1000P2
whiskywarrior
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 19:25:58 (permalink)
q5sys
Delirious
transdogmifier

And since it happens every cycle, they should know it's coming.
 I'm not accepting this as an excuse.
(not that it matters) 

I'm sure they do but the cost, as stated, doesn't not necessitate 365 days a year on the bandwidth costs.   Releases are normally once or twice a year per product line.

You do realize it's possible to scale infrastructure up and down as need increases and decreases right?  They don't need to pay for everything all year long.  If you build your infrastructure properly, its very easy to rapidly scale out and then shrink back down as needed.

Exactly this, I don’t expect EVGA to seriously try to pass that 24/7 bandwidth line off to a largely tech enthusiast community and not expect us to understand dynamic infrastructure scaling. It’s a matter of they don’t want to pay for the temporary usage and outlay costs, which dig into the bottom line. At the end of the day, they sold the entirety of their inventory and didn’t have to do anything extra. Why change that winning formula? 

9900K w/ EVGA CLC 360 and EVGA 2080Ti KPE on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 19:30:47 (permalink)
Anyone who thinks EVGA was a failure on this launch should google how fast PS5 pre-orders sold out today...

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Urieldagda
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 19:39:56 (permalink)
EVGATech_DanielM
smeikle82
EVGATech_DanielM

Wow, could you have possibly given a more tone deaf response to what people were actually saying on here?

I apologize if you feel it was tone deaf. We cannot ensure everyone gets a card the very first day of a launch. I have actually been reading everything for a good portion of the morning and also the emails and phone calls we receive. It's very true, it is not the end of the world. We will have more available soon.  

I have a question, did Amazon get any EVGA cards at all?  I noticed with all the sites I had open Amazon never popped up with any in stock at all, and (obviously with their redundancy) never lagged.  So I'm assuming they weren't one of the vendors that got cards?
whiskywarrior
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 19:53:32 (permalink)
Urieldagda

I have a question, did Amazon get any EVGA cards at all?  I noticed with all the sites I had open Amazon never popped up with any in stock at all, and (obviously with their redundancy) never lagged.  So I'm assuming they weren't one of the vendors that got cards?

I didn’t see any on Amazon today either but I didn’t look too hard cuz I’m more interested than actually looking to buy. Ironically they are one of the few retailers able to withstand a massive traffic in flux with all of AWS behind them. 

9900K w/ EVGA CLC 360 and EVGA 2080Ti KPE on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

fishman2400
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 20:08:11 (permalink)
As aggravated as we all are, it's very simple why the process has not and will not likely ever change.  We as individuals may not be getting the cards on release, but someone out there is, whether it's a bot, a scalper, an insider, etc.  NVIDIA and the suppliers are still getting their money.  They definitely aren't concerned with WHO is getting the card, just so long as it is selling.  In business, the customer will never be an individual.  It will always simply be "the customer." 

Ebay currently has over 30 cards tied up in auctions that are over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS and still climbing.  Two of them are already over $94,000 (although one of them is a rage post about the ****ty release fiasco). 
derrickjfile
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 20:15:43 (permalink)
The real kicker here is now that we missed the launch batch of these cards, prices are rumored to go up by a minimum of $50/card.  NVIDIA is paying AIB partners $50 per card sold as an incentive/loss leader/kickback.  Kind of like old "Intel Inside" program that came to light during their antitrust investigation.

This artificial scarcity is all part of Jensen Huang's plan to simultaneously be the "hero" for not raising prices compared to Turing, while letting market forces drive up street prices for AIB partner cards so he can blame higher prices on the partners.

NVIDIA's own reference cards are sold at a slimmer margin this generation than what they sell the actual GPU dies to board partners for.
CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 20:17:01 (permalink)
fishman2400
As aggravated as we all are, it's very simple why the process has not and will not likely ever change.  We as individuals may not be getting the cards on release, but someone out there is, whether it's a bot, a scalper, an insider, etc.  NVIDIA and the suppliers are still getting their money.  They definitely aren't concerned with WHO is getting the card, just so long as it is selling.  In business, the customer will never be an individual.  It will always simply be "the customer." 

Ebay currently has over 30 cards tied up in auctions that are over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS and still climbing.  Two of them are already over $94,000 (although one of them is a rage post about the ****ty release fiasco). 

The cards going for tens of thousands are not actually getting purchased for that much. People are troll bidding on them just to piss the scalpers off when they never pay for it and force the scalper to relist it. It's petty, but it's the only vengeance regular folks who aren't running auto-buy scripts have. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
Zybane
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 20:27:55 (permalink)
EVGA has always had a brutally inept/terrible web/ordering site that slows down or crashes if you sneeze loudly. 
Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/17 22:17:57 (permalink)
derrickjfile
The real kicker here is now that we missed the launch batch of these cards, prices are rumored to go up by a minimum of $50/card.  NVIDIA is paying AIB partners $50 per card sold as an incentive/loss leader/kickback.  Kind of like old "Intel Inside" program that came to light during their antitrust investigation.

This artificial scarcity is all part of Jensen Huang's plan to simultaneously be the "hero" for not raising prices compared to Turing, while letting market forces drive up street prices for AIB partner cards so he can blame higher prices on the partners.

NVIDIA's own reference cards are sold at a slimmer margin this generation than what they sell the actual GPU dies to board partners for.

There is not artificial scarcity. That is a myth with 0 factual backing. Please stop spreading baseless misinformation.
COVID happened and messed up production for everyone. 

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
fjords
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/21 16:47:37 (permalink)
Guys, just a quick update.  EVGA had some new stock this evening.  I got one added to the cart.  Unfortunately, didn't realize I had to have a user account created before I checked out.  Unfortunately, by that time, I guess people got to know of the availability.  It took me zillions of tries and multiple server errors to get a user account created.  The site crashed several times in between.

As expected, when I got through the process, all the cards were gone.  My cart was empty.  Totally frustrating.  I guess they just haven't gotten any lessons learnt from the launch fiasco.  I managed to get a hold of an EVGA sales rep while I was waiting for their website to come up.  He couldn't do anything to help me.  So, its back to waiting mode...

I am getting so disgusted with this overall experience - I might just wait for the new Big Navi card to launch and be done with Nvidia..
gterry180
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: The site constnatly crashed, I got one in checkout, and then it was tken out when it l 2020/09/27 09:44:41 (permalink)
Whatever works to get more cards to the people who actually want them I'd support.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile