EVGA

Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open

Author
DeeMills
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/13 07:37:12 (permalink)
I've had the SC-15 since 31/07/18 and the battery is now inflating very quickly. The front of the laptop has popped open (gave me a bit of a shock!)
Anyone having the same issues and/ or able to give pointers on what to do and how to get this sorted out?

7 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/15 08:23:19 (permalink)
    contact customer support immediately

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    AleCisla
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/16 14:26:47 (permalink)
    I have a SC-15 that had this problem TWICE now. Almost a year after I bought it, the case expanded so much that I couldn't even type properly anymore. I sent it back to EVGA for repair and now, almost 6 months with the "new" one they sent me (refurbished), the same thing is happening AGAIN. The battery is swallowing AGAIN. Never in my life I will buy a laptop with a built-in battery again. Is just an absurd that we have to pay £1.100,00 pounds for a laptop that will fail twice in 2 years of use. I've had cheaper laptops that lasted me almost 10 years before they started giving me some problems. My warranty expired last month, so now I'm stuck with a laptop that I know for sure will have major problems in the near future. Will EVGA send me a new battery to replace this one? I doubt it. And if someone from EVGA is reading this, I'd like to know why I was told that the battery could not be removed? Can I use this laptop without the battery or not, because I've seen other people here in the forums saying that they removed the battery completely and the laptop is working just fine. I'm waiting for an answer.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/16 15:22:44 (permalink)
    I removed the battery from my SC17 and it works just fine without it. I don't use my SC17 and I removed the battery just as a precaution, but in your situation, I would definitely remove the battery without hesitation. You have to consider which is worse. Immediate damage now as the battery fails, or possible damage in the future by not using a battery? Immediate damage now is obviously worse than possible damage in the future.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/16 15:37:05 (permalink)
    I would contact customer service and not use the laptop until you hear back. Battery issues can be hazardous are a fire risk.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

AleCisla
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/16 17:04:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, both of you. I don't think costumer service will be able to help me in this case, as I said, my warranty is over. Game over. If I'm lucky enough, if, maybe I'll get another battery to replace this one, as I started to look on internet where and how can I buy a new one and replace myself but the only 2 places that I found here in the UK show "Out of Stock" for this specific type of battery. So I'm totally depending on what EVGA will say now. I just sent an email to costumer service explaining what happened and asking for a new battery. I don't know what else to do, I'm really stuck with this problem and I need a solution quickly, I can't just turn off the laptop and leave it in a corner waiting for an answer, I use this laptop to work as well. And if they say they can't help me, then yes, I'll consider removing the battery myself and see what happens. If people say they can use the computer without the battery, why was I told not to remove? Is the SC-15 totally different from the SC-17, because apart from the screen size and GPU/CPU, I don't think they're much different?! I know for sure that the battery will continue to expand and I'll have exactly the same problem, so if is gonna happen now or in the near future, what do I really have to lose? :(
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/16 19:24:43 (permalink)
    I would take the battery out before it continues to expand and wrecks the keyboard and trackpad.  Without hesitation.  I would have already done it.  You don't need to ask someone else permission in order to prevent your non-warrantied laptop from being ruined.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

AleCisla
    Re: Battery Inflated - Laptop popped open 2020/09/17 08:15:14 (permalink)
    ty_ger07 I'm not asking permission, I'm asking for a new battery!!! And if they can't help me with that, then I'll remove this one myself and see what happens. The problem is, I need this computer to work non stop, so I'm waiting to see what they'll say about using it without the battery. Your SC-17 could be different from mine SC-15 and maybe mine can't run without a battery. We don't know. And I can't find a shop that sells this battery so what happens if I ruin the computer for good? I'm also trying to find out what is the size of the torx screws at the bottom. Can you help me with that? Is it T1, T2, T3...??? I'm gonna have to buy a brand new set of torx screwdrivers because I don't have anything that matches those horrible screws. This whole thing just gets better and better, ha? Technically I'm still spending money on the computer, considering that I paid £1.100,00 to buy it, then a year later 2 postages to another country to get fixed, then 6 months later a set of torx screwdrivers to remove the same battery that was actually not fixed because is a flaw on the design and now will explode if I don't take it out. A proper problem "built-in". Should've gone for another brand with a removable battery.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile