Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU

Author
_f0x_
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/10 00:56:30 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I have a CLC 120 RGB mounted in my RX590 with a NZXT Kraken G12, and the Flow Control app is not showing the info properly.

The "CPU Temp" is always over 110º, and the "Fan Speed" just does not appear, but the GPU temps are good (between 30-40s on idle, and 60-70s on gaming)

I've tried reinstalling the software several times, and still doesn't work properly... The Radiator fan and the G12 fan are connected to the fan headers of the CLC 120, the USB cable is connected to the motherboard USB header, and the "to motherboard" cable is connected to the motherboard Chasis fan header through a 4 pin fan HUB and on the 1st header of it.
Also, I have set on BIOS the fan control to "PWM" 

Any idea about what could I do in order to solve this? 

Thank you in advance for your attention 

Attached Image(s)

Raijintek Ophion Evo case
Ryzen 7 2700X + Corsair H60
Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+ 8Gb + EVGA CLC 120 RGB
Gigabyte B450 i AORUS Pro WiFi motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz 2x8Gb
Corsair TX850M power supply
Crucial MX500 250Gb SSD for system
WD Blue M2 3D Nand 500Gb SSD for games
Seagate Firecuda 1Tb for mass storage

14 Replies Related Threads

tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/10 05:16:10 (permalink)
    try Nzxt Cam worked much better then flow control with my CLC 280. Horrible software with no support from evga.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/10 09:16:09 (permalink)
    Lian Li has a awesome new RGB tool/fan setup that actually lets you snap the fans together frame to frame with no wire, 4 at a time and control 4 groups of 4.... one box.The rgb/fan controller they give you with the kit is VERY good also. Check it out:

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    _f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/10 15:30:05 (permalink)
    tattude69
    try Nzxt Cam worked much better then flow control with my CLC 280. Horrible software with no support from evga.

I've tried it already, but shows the GPU temp that HWinfo is already showing properly, and still does not show the fan speed.

wmmills
    Lian Li has a awesome new RGB tool/fan setup that actually lets you snap the fans together frame to frame with no wire, 4 at a time and control 4 groups of 4.... one box.The rgb/fan controller they give you with the kit is VERY good also. Check it out:

I've been thinking about it, but then it's another thing that I have to get and stick on the case, and doesn't matter about the space in my case, the thing is that I would like it's software to show properly the info, but I'm feared that it won't happen.

Also, the bad side is that I've discovered that if the Flow Control is not running, the rad fan stops spinning :-/

tattude69
    iCX Member
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/10 19:03:02 (permalink)
    the header from your 4 pin from the clc should be set to full power. I had no temp issues with Flow control or the fan shutting off i removed the software completely and was able to monitor w HWinfo or Aquasuite with no issues i would try changing the bios to full power and reinstalling software. Do you have a different usb header? Make sure it plugs in correctly. what software are you running in the background? what is your Hardware? you might want to plug the clc directly into the motherboard if your also using the pigtail off the CLC. the pig tail and the fan hub plus the CLC might be to much of a load  

_f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/10 23:35:49 (permalink)
    tattude69
    the header from your 4 pin from the clc should be set to full power. I had no temp issues with Flow control or the fan shutting off i removed the software completely and was able to monitor w HWinfo or Aquasuite with no issues i would try changing the bios to full power and reinstalling software. Do you have a different usb header? Make sure it plugs in correctly. what software are you running in the background? what is your Hardware? you might want to plug the clc directly into the motherboard if your also using the pigtail off the CLC. the pig tail and the fan hub plus the CLC might be to much of a load  

Wops, it seems that my system was not showing in my signature, now you can check it out.

I never had temp issues with the CLC 120, my GPU is pretty cold happy with it, but just i'm a bit dissapointed as Flow Control shows wrong temps and no fan speed at all.

In the background I only have running HWinfo and Flow Control as MSI afterburner has nothing to do anymore since I installed the CLC 120 into the GPU.

I was just wondering how can I set the bios to full power as you mentioned, as I don't find a clear option for that :-/

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/11 00:05:35 (permalink)
    And you're using Flow Control Version 2.0.9 (Other Products -> Closed Loop Coolers) that's supposed to "Fix issue: AM4 CPU package temperature error"?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

_f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/11 03:38:26 (permalink)
    bob16314
    And you're using Flow Control (Other Products -> Closed Loop Coolers) that's supposed to "Fix issue: AM4 CPU package temperature error"?

I'm using Version 2.0.9.0 with firmware 2.10.0.0, but keep in mind that the CLC 120 RGB is placed on the GPU, not in the CPU, and don't know why, the "CPU temp" wich is meant to be the GPU temp, is shown always over 110º and not showing fan speed at all.

Fortunately, HWinfo shows me that the CPU and GPU temps are very good, but the problem about no fan control at all over the CLC fan is driving me mad :-/

Monstieur
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/25 14:32:00 (permalink)
    CPU temperature is read via software from the CPU itself, not from a hardware sensor on the CLC 280 water block. Flow Control is not programmed to read GPU temperature. I don't know why it's showing the wrong CPU temperature, but it doesn't matter. Fan speed should be set based on the liquid temperature and not the CPU / GPU temperature. You can safely ignore the incorrect CPU temperature.
    _f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/25 16:58:57 (permalink)
    Monstieur
    CPU temperature is read via software from the CPU itself, not from a hardware sensor on the CLC 280 water block. Flow Control is not programmed to read GPU temperature. I don't know why it's showing the wrong CPU temperature, but it doesn't matter. Fan speed should be set based on the liquid temperature and not the CPU / GPU temperature. You can safely ignore the incorrect CPU temperature.

It's binded to the CPU temp via software? Lol, then it really works worse than I thought 

I gave up already about the temperatures, but I'm worried about the fan speed control... I've set a curve based on the coolant liquid temp, but it's just not working.
    Now I've changed the configuration using a direct cable from molex to fans, and I've connected the CPU AIO pump, the bottom chassis fan and the Kraken G12 fan directly to the PSU, so the CLC 120 cable to motherboard is sitting alone in the Chasis Fan header on the motherboard, and still does not shows the fan speed so I can't control it 

Monstieur
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/25 17:06:06 (permalink)
    _f0x_
    It's binded to the CPU temp via software? Lol, then it really works worse than I thought 

That's the correct way to do it as measuring the IHS temperature with a probe on the waterblock would be pointless. The package temperature is already reported by the CPU. The software doesn't support GPU temperature because the product is designed to be a CPU AIO. Even if it supported GPU temperature, it would be pointless as the temperature is irrelevant. Only the liquid temperature matters.

_f0x_
    the CLC 120 cable to motherboard is sitting alone in the Chasis Fan header on the motherboard, and still does not shows the fan speed so I can't control it 

That cable is just to avoid a "CPU fan missing" error on some motherboards, and to report the fan speed back to the BIOS. I don't think the fan speed can be controlled by the BIOS when the fans are connected to the AIO. It's controlled by the AIO's built-in curve based on liquid temperature, or via USB with Flow Control. This is the correct design for an AIO, otherwise the fan would be pointlessly ramping up & down with CPU temperature when the liquid is still cool.
    post edited by Monstieur - 2020/09/25 17:09:49
    _f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/09/25 22:59:19 (permalink)
    Monstieur
    _f0x_

That's the correct way to do it as measuring the IHS temperature with a probe on the waterblock would be pointless. The package temperature is already reported by the CPU. The software doesn't support GPU temperature because the product is designed to be a CPU AIO. Even if it supported GPU temperature, it would be pointless as the temperature is irrelevant. Only the liquid temperature matters.

I already knew, but I meant that if that's the way it works, that's terrible because it's not even showing the real CPU temps properly. Fortunately, the Coolant temps are according the GPU temp that HWinfo is showing.

Monstieur
    _f0x_
    the CLC 120 cable to motherboard is sitting alone in the Chasis Fan header on the motherboard, and still does not shows the fan speed so I can't control it 

That cable is just to avoid a "CPU fan missing" error on some motherboards, and to report the fan speed back to the BIOS. I don't think the fan speed can be controlled by the BIOS when the fans are connected to the AIO. It's controlled by the AIO's built-in curve based on liquid temperature, or via USB with Flow Control. This is the correct design for an AIO, otherwise the fan would be pointlessly ramping up & down with CPU temperature when the liquid is still cool.

The fans can be controlled by the BIOS, but for some devices like the CLC 120, you have to switch from Automatic to PWM control, but even doing it, the Flow Control software is not controlling the fan speed according to the Fan Curve configured for the Coolant temps...

It's kind of sad, but it seems I will have to find a cable adapter to connect the CLC rad fan to the GPU fan header, so at least, the Radeon software will be able to have control over it according to the GPU temps 

Anyone knows if the CLC 120 pump works properly without the Flow Control software? Like at full speed all the time or something like that? In my scenario, I don't get any useful use of it 

tattude69
    iCX Member
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/10/14 04:20:22 (permalink)
    The pump will work without the flow control software at full speed. Rpm and temps can be seen thru HW info or Nzxt cam
    Aquacomputer make a fan controller called the OCTO it can control PWM fans and pumps using any temp reading you assign w included software. Thier about $60 if you can find them in stock. That's the only way I know to use your gpu temps to control a closed loop cooler,fans or cooling pumps. The Octo is a great product that works as designed unlike Flow control
    post edited by tattude69 - 2020/10/14 04:29:25

_f0x_
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/10/14 15:05:46 (permalink)
    tattude69
    The pump will work without the flow control software at full speed. Rpm and temps can be seen thru HW info or Nzxt cam
    Aquacomputer make a fan controller called the OCTO it can control PWM fans and pumps using any temp reading you assign w included software. Thier about $60 if you can find them in stock. That's the only way I know to use your gpu temps to control a closed loop cooler,fans or cooling pumps. The Octo is a great product that works as designed unlike Flow control

Wow, it works without it? Then I'll just uninstall it, hahaha 

In the end, I just gave up on Flow Control and made myself a cable to connect the Radiator Fan directly to the RX590, so I can control the speed through MSI Afterburner 

Thank you very much for your help, it's a pity that EVGA don't take care about their products so much as the community does 

coolmistry
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2502
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Flow Control not showing the info properly - CLC 120 RGB mounted in GPU 2020/10/15 04:45:39 (permalink)
    _f0x_
    tattude69

Wow, it works without it? Then I'll just uninstall it, hahaha 

In the end, I just gave up on Flow Control and made myself a cable to connect the Radiator Fan directly to the RX590, so I can control the speed through MSI Afterburner 

Thank you very much for your help, it's a pity that EVGA don't take care about their products so much as the community does 

It either you don't need CLC software but for Sync RGB then need CLC software to run background. For the cooler fans yes you can without using CLC software same as my self don't need this software. I have my CLC 280 use fans pins to onboard motherboard fans pins header. The Radiator cooler fans pins go to CPU fan1 and CPU Fan2 and for pump must go PWM fans and set to 100% speed for cooler pump! But I set my pump at 75% and for cooler radiator fans set Automatic on CPU1 and CPU2 fans!! It much quiet without any using CLC software! 

EDIT> have a look my old post #4 here > Can I disconnect the USB Cable to a CLC Cooler after changing settings?
    post edited by coolmistry - 2020/10/15 04:48:00

Windows 11 Home 64bits up to Dated
    i9 11900K 5,275 MHz (3,500 MHz) || EVGA Z590 FTW WIFI || 2 x Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti FE || 32Gb Dominator Platinum DDR3 3600mhz XMP OC 3800mhz || 500gb Samsung 980 Pro NVMe || 500gb Samsung 970 EVO and Sata M.2 (1 x SSD and 1xHHD) || EVGA CLCx 360 Cooler || EVGA Supernova 1300w X3 || EVGA Z10 Keyboard || EVGA TORQ X10 mouse ||EVGA DG 77 case || Acer Predator  X35 35" 200Hz G-Sync || Logitech Z906 5.1 system sounds SPDIF|| Kaspersky Internet Security
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile