EVGA

Automatic fan control not following curve I set

Author
revenant712
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/09/02 06:40:18 (permalink)
So I've searched and searched and haven't found any issue similar to mine anywhere so I come to you guys for help.

I'm using a 1080 ti ftw3 and using Precision x1, when I set the fan to auto all it does it set the fans to 18/0/0% and stays there. It doesn't follow my curve at all hell it doesn't ramp up whatsoever it just stays locked at those speeds and I don't understand why. I recently installed SpeedFan because I needed to control my case fans and the fans on my radiator and set an auto fan curve in that program which is working fine, but that is only working for my CHA_FANS and my CPU_FANS and there is no option or discovery for it to handle the gpu on there. I was thinking maybe it could be overriding it or something but that shouldn't be how it works right? I also had to install this stupid NZXT CAM program to set a curve for the pump in the AIO that I bought for my cpu if that has anything to do with it. Like I said, the manual control works fine but the auto just gets locked down at 0% basically.

Could it be that one of those programs are overwriting each other or conflicting or something? I'm frustratingly stumped here I don't know where to go from here. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Precision X1 and still same issue. I'd like to not have to uninstall SpeedFan as I really don't want to have to lose the capability of having auto fan curves for my radiator fans and chassis fans as they are making a massive difference in my system's cooling performance.

Anyone got any solutions? Having to adjust my fans manually constantly while I'm gaming is going to be a tremendous PITA and I'd like to avoid that but I'm a bit of a dumdum so please, help!!

******* SOLUTION FOUND! SCROLL DOWN TO POST *******
post edited by revenant712 - 2020/09/05 04:04:50

7 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 07:31:39 (permalink)
    You could try setting Speedfan & your NZXT software to Not start with Windows & reboot.  Then see how PX1 reacts.  Does PX1 start working as you'd expect.  If so, then you know one of those other programs is conflicting.  Start one of them at a time to determine which one it may be.

revenant712
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 07:54:57 (permalink)
    No good, just tried that. Got rid of all my startup programs and then rebooted, ran only Precision X1 with nothing else running and still have the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 10:09:55 (permalink)
    CAM and Precision (and other software) have a history of sometimes not playing well together.

In Precision, the clickable "AUTO" button in the "FAN SPEED" section must be lit or fans will remain at a fixed manual speed..In the fan curve section, "Fan Curve Control" must be clicked on for fan control to be handed off to Precision instead of the card.

Always click "Apply" after making any changes.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

revenant712
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 13:47:11 (permalink)
    I have the clickable "AUTO" fan icon selected (highlighted blue) and as well have the "Fan Curve Control" little box ticked and hit apply and it still won't follow my curve, they just stay at zero. Thank you for the reply.
    revenant712
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 14:17:05 (permalink)
    I have actually found a "solution".

So, after uninstalling NZXT CAM and restarting. I thought what the hell lets just fire up HWinfo and see what is actually going on here. Turns out that now, the gpu *IS* actually following the curve I have set, as reported by HWinfo, however the PX1 software has the numbers locked at zero, so apparently that is a visual bug in the software I actually am getting the right response now even though the software still seems borked, but this brings up another question.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but since I no longer have that stupid NZXT CAM software to set my pump speeds is there some way I can lock it at 100% through the bios?
    It connects through a 3 pin fan-type connector into a 3 pin header which in the manual for the AIO is labeled "pump tachometer" but from what I know about headers is that not addressable since it does not have the 4th PWM pin?
    or is it treated like a 4 pin fan that is connected to a 3 pin header and runs at 100% no matter what?
    will the RPM's for the connected pump be read in my BIOS through that header as if it were a fan and be accurate?
    at this point I could care less if I can control it through a curve or not if I can just have it run at 100% all the time that's fine with me.

I apologize for all the questions, thanks for the quick responses.
    post edited by revenant712 - 2020/09/02 14:22:06
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/02 18:37:01 (permalink)
    revenant712
    I no longer have that stupid NZXT CAM software to set my pump speeds is there some way I can lock it at 100% through the bios?
    It connects through a 3 pin fan-type connector into a 3 pin header

What mobo?..But yeah, just set the header to 100% that the pump is connected to..Fan header control is somewhere in the BIOS, depending what mobo you have.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

revenant712
    Re: Automatic fan control not following curve I set 2020/09/05 04:01:05 (permalink)
    I have an old Fatal1ty Z97 Killer mobo, and actually I was looking in the BIOS and was having trouble trying to get the pump to be controlled and work, but I did find a solution that I wanted to post here incase anyone came across this through a google search or through the forums that was having a similar problem. I still have issues with Precision X1 going completely fubar and not working at all for fan control, NZXT CAM is still totally screwed when it comes to controlling my pump, but I have an answer!

************   SOLUTION:   ************

Every program I tried for fan control was NOT working correctly, until I found this one. It is a custom software written by one guy and it is so incredible I have to share. Download this software called FanControl (I hope it's okay to post links, please don't get mad at me mods!)  It is a PHENOMENAL fan control program and completely solved all of my issues. I was able to set custom controls with custom curves for each separate header, it was able to see and control my AIO pump that I connected to my header and it realized that it was a pump and it optimized that accordingly. It has a vast set of customizable options and best of all, it overrided every other program I had and everything worked perfectly after that. I now uninstalled SpeedFan, NZXT CAM, gave up on BIOS config, and solely use just FanControl. I can't share enough how much that program saved my sanity.

**Edit: Apparently I am unable to post links, if you google FanControl the creator's name is Remi Mercier you can find his program on github and other places. The latest release as of 9/5/2020 is V48.
    Mods please let me post links so that others can find this, I am in no way affiliated with the creator or sponsored by him I simply want to help spread the word about this amazing guys' work.

Hope this helps future people, you have a wonderful day! :)
    post edited by revenant712 - 2020/09/05 04:05:28
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile