EVGA

151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode

Author
cpeisher
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/08/08 08:02:49 (permalink)
 BASICS
What EVGA X99 Motherboard do you have?  151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K
What BIOS revision are you running on? 2.08

What previous BIOS revisions have been tried? Whatever was stock when the board arrived.

(IF APPLICABLE) have the other physical BIOS’s been tested? None

What Operating system are you running?  Win10 64 Pro

Components -Internal
What specific model CPU do you have? Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Is it overclocked?  Please place an X next to appropriate answer.    Yes: ()  No: (X)

What specific model of memory do you have? I honestly don't konw, it 16GB of g.Skill
            How many kits of memory?2
            Is it overclocked?  Please place an X next to appropriate answer.    Yes: ()  No: (X)
            If you have tested DIFFERENT memory, please supply the full model for this as well.

What specific model of Power Supply Unit (PSU) Corsair 1000W
            Do you actively use more than 1 PSU in your system?  Yes: ()  No: (X)
            If YES to the previous question, what exact model?

The only PCI slots in use are 5 for the Video Card and 6 which is disabled but showing 3x4 for the M.2 SSD
()  PCI-E 1:
            PCI-E Disable Switch in the ON position?  Yes: ()  No: ()

()  PCI-E 2: 

()  PCI-E 3: 

()  PCI-E 4: 

()  PCI-E 5: 

()  PCI-E 6: 

()  M.2 Key M: (Typically used for SSD's)
            Enabled in BIOS?  Yes: (X)  No: ()

()  M.2 Key E: (Typically used for smaller  devices such as WiFi cards)
            Enabled in BIOS?  Yes: ()  No: (X)

()  SATA3/6g RAID Ports (please elaborate on RAID settings if present):
            Is Hot Swap enabled on populated ports?  Yes: ()  No: () I don't know

()  SATA3/6g AHCI Ports:
            Is Hot Swap enabled on populated ports?  Yes: ()  No: () I don't know

Video card is a EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB, not overclocked

I omitted answering these questions below in small font and italics because i do not believe they are relevant as this time.

Components – I/O Panel
Check the slots that are populated and provide specific of Component, brand, part number if available of the item present.
Not all slots are applicable to every board, but this form covers the entire chipset.

All rear IO that have multiple connectors, such as USB, are counted top to bottom, left to right.

()  USB 2.0 1: 

()  USB 2.0 2: 

()  USB 2.0 3: 

()  USB 2.0 4: 

()  USB 2.0 5: 

()  USB 2.0 6: 

()  USB 3.0 1: 

()  USB 3.0 2: 

()  USB 3.0 3: 

()  USB 3.0 4: 

()  USB 3.1 Type C: 

()  CAT5 1 (enabled/disabled in BIOS): 

()  CAT5 2 (enabled/disabled in BIOS): 

()  Analog Audio headers (standard 2 /2.1 speakers or headphones use green):

()  Optical Out

Components – Front Panel Headers
Check the components that are in use and provide specific of Component, brand, part number, or link (such as a 5.25 bay that has USB 2/3/eSATA on it) if available of the item present.  Also what are these ports plugged into?  A straight header (such as a power switch or front headphone and mic ports), or a component with its own PCB (for instance the module on the top of a CM Cosmos Case where the components are attached to a PCB with other components involved for additional function). 
Not all slots are applicable to every board, but this form covers the entire chipset.

At any header are you using some intermediary cabling, such as: http://koolance.com/image/cache/data/products/cbl-aw002p_p1-700x700.jpg for example?  If the system was working and can no longer power on and there is a third party cable between the motherboard and its intended device, it would be advisable to test without it being present.

()  Power Switch
            LED in use?  Yes: ()  No: ()
            If yes, have you verified +/- in correct place?

()  Reset Switch
            LED in use?  Yes: ()  No: ()
            If yes, have you verified +/- in correct place?

()  USB 2.0 FP Header attached

()  USB 3.0 FP Header attached

()  S/PDIF Header

()  FP Audio Header

()  Thunderbolt GPIO Header

BIOS
Have you changed anything in the BIOS?  Yes: (X)  No: ()
           Yes Just Boot order 
Is your PC running in Legacy BIOS mode, or UEFI mode?  Legacy

Have you overclocked?  Yes: ()  No: (X)
Have you tried resetting the BIOS, either by one of the BIOS reset buttons or by Loading Defaults from within the BIOS? NO

Problem description
As the title states i installed a brand new SSD into the M.2 slot to replace a 1TB spinner as the OS drive.  After following this guide (https://forums.evga.com/X99-M2-Getting-it-to-work-STEP-BY-STEP-m2476830.aspx) and some other forum posts to get the basic set up including enabling the M.2 slot. I can leave boot in legacy mode and boot to the SSD and run, and things are obviously WOW fast compared to the OS on teh spinner.  However, i cann't get the drive to boot in UEFI mode.  The breakdown occurs in that i do not have the option to enable Windows Boot Manager within the BIOS once i change over to UEFI mode.  My Boot 1 device simply states "HARD DISK"  and the only thing that shows up at the bottom of the screen is "UEFI Network Hard Drive" and it cannot be changed to "UEFI Hard Drive:Windows Boot Manager".  If i try to boot in UEFI it doesn't boot and i get an error that the video card doesn't support UEFI, which is not surprising considering it's age, but i ahve a feeling that it wouldn't matter.  The BIOS status clearly states that the PCIe slot 6 is occupied by the 3x4 M.2 SSD and it's there, but once i switch to UEFI I cannot find it as a bootable option.

I just realized that i also have a 151-BE-E097 board, and i downloaded and installed BIOS update for a 151-HE-E097 Board.  Both BIOS update tools seem to be for the E097 boards so i'm not sure if that is an issue?  

In short, i am booted just fine and running well in legacy mode, but i'd like to run the drive in the best mode possible which i'm assuming is UEFI.  I'm due for a GPU upgrade anyway so when that happens i don't want the SSD issue to be limiting boot from using from UEFI.  I'll create a follow up place holder post so i can take some pics of the BIOS settings and load them for clarity.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide, it is greatly appreciated.
Chris
post edited by cpeisher - 2020/08/08 08:14:43

8 Replies Related Threads

cpeisher
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/08 08:10:56 (permalink)
    Saved for pictures
    post edited by cpeisher - 2020/08/08 08:18:06

Attached Image(s)

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/08 08:14:11 (permalink)
    Assuming the X99 has a UEFI BIOs then perform the following if UEFI is set in the BIOs. Make a complete backup first that can be restored in case something goes horribly wrong:

Search for Command Prompt in the Start Menu, right-click on it and select the option “Run as administrator.”

In the command prompt, execute the below command:

shutdown /r /fw

Windows will show a warning message saying that the system will restart in less than a minute.

Close the warning message and save all your work. The system will automatically restart and boot into UEFI mode.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

cpeisher
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/08 08:53:44 (permalink)
    I uploaded pictures of the BIOS settings above.

I tried the shutdown /r /fw and get this error message in elevated CMD

"Boot to firmware UI is not supported by this system's firmware.(1)"

I suppose i shoudl clarify that i cloned the spinner drive to the SSD, so maybe UEFI was not enabled when i originally installed Windows on the spinner?

post edited by cpeisher - 2020/08/08 08:55:57
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/08 11:50:52 (permalink)
    Did you follow the "BIOS Setup and Windows Installation for M.2 and PCI-E NVMe SSD's" on page 19 of your mobo manual?

Also, yeah, cloning could be (is probably) the issue for sure.

Q: Can I move data from an HDD or SATA SSD to a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD?
    A: Yes. It is possible to clone a SATA HDD or SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD. Samsung, however, recommends performing a “clean install” of the OS and later transferring the desired non-executable files.
    Because the registry information needed for NVMe SSDs is different from those of SATA HDDs or SSDs, a clean install helps to avoid unnecessary compatibility and performance issues that may arise from simply cloning a storage device.

Samsung SSD Troubleshooting and More

Good luck with it.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

cpeisher
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/09 14:16:06 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Did you follow the "BIOS Setup and Windows Installation for M.2 and PCI-E NVMe SSD's" on page 19 of your mobo manual?

Also, yeah, cloning could be (is probably) the issue for sure.

Q: Can I move data from an HDD or SATA SSD to a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD?
    A: Yes. It is possible to clone a SATA HDD or SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD. Samsung, however, recommends performing a “clean install” of the OS and later transferring the desired non-executable files.
    Because the registry information needed for NVMe SSDs is different from those of SATA HDDs or SSDs, a clean install helps to avoid unnecessary compatibility and performance issues that may arise from simply cloning a storage device.

Samsung SSD Troubleshooting and More

Good luck with it.

Yes i followed those directions on Page 19, but i can't leave it in UEFI because the BIOS does not see that there is a hard drive installed.  Also, as i stated above "If i try to boot in UEFI it doesn't boot and i get an error that the video card doesn't support UEFI"  Do I need  to install the OS on the drive before the BIOS/UEFI will recognize that the SSD supports UEFI?  UEFI is very new to me obviously, but it would seem like the SSD would have to be accessible from the BIOS/UEFI in order for me to install an OS, right?  If my video card requires Legacy mode, can i even use UEFI until i upgrade the video card?
    post edited by cpeisher - 2020/08/09 14:26:12

Attached Image(s)

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/10 01:16:24 (permalink)
    You don't see the SSD anywhere in the BIOS?..Not even in "Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities" where you could select it?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

cpeisher
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/10 01:50:56 (permalink)
    If I am in legacy mode than yes there is a Hard Disk Drive BBS Priority option listed beneath CSM Options on the boot page. In legacy mode I can then change the bot priority from the old 500gb spinner Drive to the new M.2 SSD. Over I charge to UEFI mode I no longer have any access to either specific hard drive as a boot option, and the Hard Disk Drive BBS Priority option disappears. I can only select the generic “hard drive” option under boot 1. See the attached pictures. One is what I see under legacy, the other once UEFI is selected.

Attached Image(s)

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 151-BE-E097 X99 FTW-K Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Drive will not boot in UEFI mode 2020/08/10 08:33:34 (permalink)
    I dunno, man..You might read through the links below and get some ideas..Or do a forum search for "X99 SSD" and you'll get some hits.

UPDATE: X99 Classified BIOS doesn't see my M.2 SSD (fixed in post #34 and #39)

How do I install Windows on an M.2 NVME Drive?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile