EVGA

Ampere

Author
_plh17
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/24 12:06:59 (permalink)
With the talks about the Ampere architecture being released in mid-September, if I were to purchase a 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra would I be able to step-up to an RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra (or equivalent) if the Nvidia release is truly in September? I’ve read some of the other threads but was unsure and wanted some clarification. Thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Ampere 2020/07/24 14:29:56 (permalink)
    Probably not.

The RTX 3xxx is being speculated to be announced and launched in September by Nvidia because that is usually when they announce\launch their new line but not a guaranty.

Even when Nvidia announces it and "launches" it, it will be a paper launch with no real inventory of it available at launch.

EVGA will not be able to tell you anything about the RTX 3xxx until the Nvidia NDA is lifted which would be when Nvidia announces and launches the line.

Even if you made the step-up window, you would only be able to step-up to the reference board design model EVGA lists for step-up of your current model (EVGA never uses custom PCB models for step-up, only reference PCB models and then usually the lowest model in that line.

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    _plh17
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Ampere 2020/07/24 14:32:49 (permalink)
    jonkrmr
    Probably not.

The RTX 3xxx is being speculated to be announced and launched in September by Nvidia because that is usually when they announce\launch their new line but not a guaranty.

Even when Nvidia announces it and "launches" it, it will be a paper launch with no real inventory of it available at launch.

EVGA will not be able to tell you anything about the RTX 3xxx until the Nvidia NDA is lifted which would be when Nvidia announces and launches the line.

Even if you made the step-up window, you would only be able to step-up to the reference board design model EVGA lists for step-up of your current model (EVGA never uses custom PCB models for step-up, only reference PCB models and then usually the lowest model in that line.

Alright thanks. Appreciate it.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Ampere 2020/07/24 23:48:59 (permalink)
    EVGA does occasionally release custom PCB to the step up program, but it is extremely rare, and typically happens when there is extenuating circumstances behind the release of the custom PCB.

The highest custom pcb model I can remember seeing was an SC2, but I can not recall any FTW, Classified, or K|ngp|n models going onto the step up program.

If you are interested in the FTW series of the next gen, it is advisable to save your money until the next generation comes out and go directly for that purchase.
    TraumaDisaster
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/07 12:40:02 (permalink)
    I kind of need a new build since I have to give my system to my kids who have to stay home for school.  If I buy $1000 card now do you think by the 90 days (Nov 8) there will be stock in the step up program?  How was it the last few launches how many weeks/months went by before they were fully stocked? 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/09 05:47:45 (permalink)
    TraumaDisaster
    I kind of need a new build since I have to give my system to my kids who have to stay home for school.  If I buy $1000 card now do you think by the 90 days (Nov 8) there will be stock in the step up program?  How was it the last few launches how many weeks/months went by before they were fully stocked? 

It’s not a question of “stock” in the step up program. If there is an available card to step up, and people sign up to do the step up, then as cards arrive EVGA will set aside a designated amount of new cards for step up. There will never really be “stock” for the program as the new cards will come in, be designated, and then the next person in queue gets a notification to continue their step up.

Once you are in the step up queue, it is just a waiting process for a card to be designated for your step up number. That can take anywhere from a couple of days to many months. You get to use your “old” card in the meantime, so you aren’t missing out on gaming.
    TraumaDisaster
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/09 10:41:04 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    TraumaDisaster

It’s not a question of “stock” in the step up program. If there is an available card to step up, and people sign up to do the step up, then as cards arrive EVGA will set aside a designated amount of new cards for step up. There will never really be “stock” for the program as the new cards will come in, be designated, and then the next person in queue gets a notification to continue their step up.

Once you are in the step up queue, it is just a waiting process for a card to be designated for your step up number. That can take anywhere from a couple of days to many months. You get to use your “old” card in the meantime, so you aren’t missing out on gaming.

Thanks for the info!  It seems like I should go for it but I'm worried I won't get an upgraded card and then I'd be stuck with last gen.  I'm new to the program so I'm a little scared to pull the trigger. thanks
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/09 13:14:18 (permalink)
    there is no way to know what cards or when - new generation cards-  will be Added to the Step-Up program

Then it can be even longer before you actually get "your" Step-Up - even if you file the request within the timeline of this promotion

details:  EVGA Step-Up

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/10 04:57:21 (permalink)
    Not a great idea to roll the dice on such a purchase - but it's up to you .
    Good luck .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    dshelfoon
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/10 09:35:37 (permalink)
    I am not sure why everyone is so down on this program.  I think it is an excellent offering by EVGA.  I stepped up from my 1080ti FTW model to a 2080 TI XC Black (Founders edition in EVGA wrapping), and then water blocked it.  From my standpoint, if you know that you are going to water cool the card, the model makes only a marginal(~5% on air best to least) difference, and the Nvidia reference boards are typically well made.  Take the reference board and add EVGA's world-class service and warranty, and you have a definite winner.  The funny thing is that I am considering buying a new 2080 Super or TI right now so that I can remove and sell my current one before the market slides on the 20 series.  Knowing that every dollar I invest minus tax will go toward at least an Nvidia founders edition or better reference board is not a bad thing, in my opinion, so I thought I would share my experience for balance.

TLDR:
    There are some excellent points here, but if you have or plan to water cool your card, most of the differentiation goes away for real-world usage. Outside of extreme benchmarking and bragging rights(which are real), there are few ways to utilize all of the enhanced VRM, fan cooling, and voltage monitoring points of the well designed upmarket cards.  Within a given category they are all (EVGA variants) excellent choices.
    post edited by dshelfoon - 2020/08/10 10:22:54
    TraumaDisaster
    Re: Ampere 2020/08/10 12:29:47 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    Not a great idea to roll the dice on such a purchase - but it's up to you .
    Good luck .

I agree, I'm not one to gamble.  But this program would have served my needs as I'm buying today since I have to give my old system to the kids.  Yesterday I bought a 10600k and will buy the rest today and I don't know what I'll do for a gfx card.  
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile