EVGA

Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/08/06 22:45:20 (permalink)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/massive-20gb-intel-data-breach-floods-the-internet-mentions-backdoors

Intel on Thursday was hit by a massive data-breach, with someone on Twitter posting links to an archive that contains the dump of the breach - a 20-gigabyte treasure chest that includes - but not limited to - Intel Management Engine bringup guides, flashing tools, samples; source code of Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (CEFDK); silicon and FSP source packages for various platforms; an assortment of development and debugging tools; Simics simulation for "Rocket Lake S" and other platforms; a wealth of roadmaps and other documents; shcematics, documents, tools, and firmware for "Tiger Lake," Intel Trace Hub + decoder files for various Intel ME versions; "Elkhart Lake" silicon reference and sample code; Bootguard SDK, "Snow Ridge" simulator; design schematics of various products; etc.

The most fascinating part of the leak is the person points to the possibility of Intel laying backdoors in its code and designs - a very tinfoil hat though likely possibility in the post-9/11 world. Intel in a comment to Tom's Hardware denied that its security apparatus had been compromised, and instead blamed someone with access to this information for downloading the data. "We are investigating this situation. The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access. 

I hope Intel solves this leak problem. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/06 23:36:52 (permalink)
    someone is going to have serious legal troubles ... go get them Intel

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/07 07:46:27 (permalink)
    Looks like that's the nail in the coffin to keep a lot of people away from their CPUs for the next little while.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/07 11:20:25 (permalink)
    Sheesh!  Someone's gonna do some time.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    vegajf51
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 561
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/07 11:29:40 (permalink)
    Very sad...😞 damn.. intel just can’t catch a break.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/07 22:41:19 (permalink)
    Sort of irrelevant at this point who did it. It's a bit more important how the information is used. With it being in the wild, that means ethics will be thrown out the window for exploits. I look at most of my Intel machines and wonder if the next 2020 apocalypse of the month will be hardware exploit and failure.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 05:06:15 (permalink)
    Imagine if someone used the tools to create a microcode update which puts the CPU in a boot loop. Or issues an immediate ACPI shutdown command or something. Imagine if someone else finds a way to get that update onto a trusted server. I was thinking about that yesterday. Imagine one day when all of the sudden a majority of Intel computers are bricked. That would be devastating.
    Of course it could happen to AMD as well, or instead. But these tools being leaked makes some scary ideas slightly more plausible.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/08/08 05:13:05

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18917
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 07:20:46 (permalink)

I'm having difficulty believing this is the "devastating data breach" the article claims, considering that "the information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access." ..I don't think Intel would be making cutting edge secret tech available that easily lol. Sound more like media hype - as usual.  

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 11:06:06 (permalink)
    Nereus

I'm having difficulty believing this is the "devastating data breach" the article claims, considering that "the information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access." ..I don't think Intel would be making cutting edge secret tech available that easily lol. Sound more like media hype - as usual.  

I concur.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 11:12:37 (permalink)
    funny how this coincides with someone getting the boot

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 12:45:03 (permalink)
    Excuses after excuses😹😹. All Bad Empires crumbles no exceptions😾.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 14:43:56 (permalink)
    Nereus

This exactly. Intel itself wasn't hacked, and the only information compromised was information that Intel had already decided was safe enough to release to partners. As someone else pointed out (I think it was Ian Cutress) the biggest issue resulting from this will probably be a lot of fake information being seen in the future. A lot of official document templates were released and that will make it trivial for people to create fake Intel rumors for the next few years.

Have water, will cool. 
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 17:50:18 (permalink)
    From what I understand the data was anything but “critical” or “crown jewels”.

It appears to be simply early release information provided to “partners” under an NDA. And it was intended that all of this information was to be made public at release of new architecture.... as Intel has done with every release cycle (chipset instructions, compiler options, sample code, etc...)

Much ado about nothing.

Edit: I just noticed previous comments saying exact same thing.
    post edited by MasterMiner - 2020/08/08 17:53:07

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/08 17:58:36 (permalink)
    I saw a report from Intel that it was not important trade secrets

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Intel Hit by a Devastating Data Breach, Chip Designs, Code, Possible Backdoors Leaked 2020/08/09 11:44:14 (permalink)
    veganfanatic
    I saw a report from Intel that it was not important trade secrets

Of course it's not important, because they just decided it wasn't. Doesn't matter if it was actually important, because Intel can apparently change their minds as long as it gives them better press. One needn't have an NDA to sign if something wasn't deemed important or trade secret.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile