EVGA

ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores

Author
qwaarjet
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/24 11:37:30 (permalink)
I have this odd issue ever since I switched my from my 7820X to 10900X. On boot, 99% of the time everything is fine. If the PC thought goes to sleep for more than several minutes, it often wakes up with a CPU core stuck at 100%. Using LatencyMon narrows down the issue to ACPI.sys    I've tried disabling almost everything onboard with no success. New ram, new GPU, every driver alternative I can find but no luck. The only thing I changed was the CPU, I'm on the latest BIOS but it happened on the last few revisions that support CL CPU's. I can't figure it out and I feel like I've tried everything. I found some people with the same issue online with Asus X299 motherboards that was eventually solved with a BIOS update. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know someone posted having a similar issue on this forum but there wasn't much in the way of activity or solutions. 

Other sources:
 well, it looks like I can't post links. If you google "SINGLE CORE - 100% CPU - HIGH INTERRUPTS ON ACPI"    The top 2 choices are what I was referencing, both specifically X299 motherboards. 

post edited by qwaarjet - 2020/07/24 11:40:19

15 Replies Related Threads

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/24 15:27:01 (permalink)
    qwaarjet
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

I assume this becomes non-issue if you disable system from going to sleep, correct?
    qwaarjet
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/24 15:33:43 (permalink)
    Well, I was so fed up once I disabled sleep during the day but I noticed a couple of times where the that certain CPU core maxed out once again after several hours (maybe 6+?)  I've worked from home that past 5 years so it's probably why it's very noticeable to me.  

Attached Image(s)

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/24 16:15:43 (permalink)
    qwaarjet
    Well, I was so fed up once I disabled sleep during the day but I noticed a couple of times where the that certain CPU core maxed out once again after several hours (maybe 6+?)  I've worked from home that past 5 years so it's probably why it's very noticeable to me.  

I haven't experienced this in my 10900 build but I'm not using it a lot yet so I can't tell is that because I'm not watching over it close enough or because everything is good (to knock on the wood its the later). One thing I do differently than others is disable fast boot in BIOS and I hear that is one of common culprits. My wait states are disabled in BIOS and I have also disabled hybernation in Windows.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10322
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/25 09:10:32 (permalink)
    Are you seeing any question marks or exclamation marks in the device manager?

qwaarjet
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/27 04:26:18 (permalink)
    Sorry for the late response, got hit by a hurricane. 

All devices are good in device manager. I've done clean installs using all EVGA provided drivers. I've done clean installs using all MS Update provided drivers (except for the handful it can't find) and I just force installed the latest W10 update hoping for something.... I'm thinking about buying an older CPU so that I can use a pre 1.19 BIOS. Never had this issue prior....
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10322
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/27 10:37:53 (permalink)
    Hope you got through the hurricane all right...

I don't rely on using this software from Intel, but it can come in handy in certain situations.  Run the software from the link to see if it finds any driver that may need to be updated for your setup.  >  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Follow the "Get Started" button from the link.

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 628
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/07/29 05:11:38 (permalink)
    When you say ‘clean install’ do you mean fresh clean install of Windows 10? My recommendation would be to download the Windows 10 Image and all drivers. Than disconnect the PC from the internet and do NOT reconnect it. Install Windows 10 and all drivers than reconnect to the internet, you are doing this to avoid getting the default Windows drivers.

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

qwaarjet
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/13 19:07:03 (permalink)
    In case anyone searches and has a similar problem, I swapped my motherboard for an Asus rampage vi extreme omega and wouldn't you know, no more ACPI.sys/cpu core maxed out issue after sleep. Exact same hardware, same windows install, didn't change a thing other than the motherboard. Problem with the motherboard/bios, I should have swapped long ago.
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/14 14:32:15 (permalink)
    qwaarjet
    In case anyone searches and has a similar problem, I swapped my motherboard for an Asus rampage vi extreme omega and wouldn't you know, no more ACPI.sys/cpu core maxed out issue after sleep. Exact same hardware, same windows install, didn't change a thing other than the motherboard. Problem with the motherboard/bios, I should have swapped long ago.

That is good to know, thank you for sharing. FWIW, I still haven't observed high CPU utilization by ACPI.sys (or anything else) on my system but my system is configured not to go to sleep (I don't like "sleep" on my systems).

So for those that do experience same you did but don't want to / can't change mb they might try to see whether configuring system like I did (no fast boot, no sleep, no C-states, no hybernation) will work for them.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21169
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/15 19:17:55 (permalink)
    ZoranC
    So for those that do experience same you did but don't want to / can't change mb they might try to see whether configuring system like I did (no fast boot, no sleep, no C-states, no hybernation) will work for them.

Poor mother earth!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/15 19:49:49 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    ZoranC

Poor mother earth!

LOL I think Mother Earth has much bigger issues to deal with than my C-states :) Besides sleep setting on my system wouldn't save -that- much, it is either in constant use or completely turned off.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21169
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/15 20:55:01 (permalink)
    Sleep and C-states make a big difference in needless power consumption.  And when you recommend the same to others, it is compounding.
    My PC idles at around 45 watts at the wall according to a kill-a-watt meter, and then sleeps at less than 4 watts.  What does yours idle at?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/09/15 21:31:20

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/16 13:07:28 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    My PC idles at around 45 watts at the wall according to a kill-a-watt meter, and then sleeps at less than 4 watts.  What does yours idle at?

My idles at practical zero. When my PC is on it is fully under load, otherwise it is completely turned off, I don't leave it idling.

ty_ger07
    Sleep and C-states make a big difference in needless power consumption.  And when you recommend the same to others, it is compounding.

It is my understanding they make a difference only when CPU is idling / can throttle down or when system can go to sleep, otherwise they don't make difference so they wouldn't result in any difference for me. Am I incorrect about that?

Also, please notice I haven't anywhere recommended my settings should be used by everyone. I have offered them as potential workaround to try for those that have experienced similar issue as op. Considering how "many" are reporting this issue (so far I can see just one) if they end up using what I do can be hardly qualified as "compounding".

Plus, let's face it, people that buy things like X299 Dark do not later run them at balanced power mode either. If one placed priority on power consumption he wouldn't be overclocking his gear.
    ironage
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/17 02:50:56 (permalink)
    Sure they do, some even overclock and undervolt at the same time, there is no need for useless power draw, which only transfers into heat.

No proper power states after standyby aren't within "intel specs" as well and there are power states between off and 100%.

we don't need inadequate workarounds, we need a better UEFI/Bios. why you keep defending unnecessary faults in EVGA products ?! 

btw. EVGA Mobo department would not be able to live from sales to extreme overclockers only.

i wanted to have an EVGA only build, EVGA Board, EVGA GPU, EVGA PSU.

but i refuse finishing the build with a bugged motherboard, and i am really getting fed up with waiting for a BIOS with less bugs, which probably won't be released at all.

i already bought a Strix II, going to order Asus 3080 Strix, and will most likely have an Asus PSU as well.

i will wait for a better bios for another two weeks and then i am done with it and sell the 2nd dark, if EVGA prefers snoozing.

post edited by ironage - 2020/09/17 03:08:15
    ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: ACPI.sys maxes out one of my CPU cores 2020/09/17 11:20:32 (permalink)
    ironage
    ... there is no need for useless power draw, which only transfers into heat.

Is there a need for useless power draw? Absolutely not, there is nothing wrong with that -generalized- statement. How much of power draw ends up useless and how much of total effect everyone that might be experiencing this issue would be contributing if they tried my workaround suggestion? That is completely different question. Like I said, I believe answer on first one is -it depends- on utilization pattern (so it can vary on case by case basis from huge to insignificant) and answer on second one is not that much because we are not seeing people reporting it around (just one so far).

ironage
    we don't need inadequate workarounds, we need a better UEFI/Bios.

I absolutely agree that -in general- we do need better stuff. However, I believe that -in the meantime- people do need workarounds when they have an issue. Having a workaround while waiting for a resolution is much better than having nothing.

ironage
    ... why you keep defending unnecessary faults in EVGA products ?! 

I think you are misinterpreting my words. You need to notice there is a huge difference between suggesting a temporary workaround and saying "this is a solution".

Also, if you knew me little better you would know I am the very last one that would defend  fault in anyone's product and don't hesitate expressing my opinion on one. Anyone at EVGA that talked with me so far on issues I came across can confirm that.

ironage
    i will wait for a better bios for another two weeks and then i am done with it and sell the 2nd dark, if EVGA prefers snoozing.

If my experience is any indicator I wouldn't be holding my breath if I was you. My ticket for what I have experienced with my 2080 has been opened for month now with no updates even though everything indicates that has been known about for long time. That is one of the reasons why I didn't go and order 3090 when they were announced.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile