EVGA

Random restarts

Author
princessmisery
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/23 22:57:08 (permalink)
Hey all, I've been trying for over a month to solve a random restart issue. I'm not a novice and I can usually solve these issues myself. However this has been plaguing me for so long. My PC will randomly restart. Oddly enough I can re-create this restart easily by sleeping in a bed on Fallout 4.

Things I have done already:
  • Temps are good / Even added new thermal paste
  • Memtest 86 no errors after running overnight for 6 hours.
  • Did stress tests and nothing happened for 30 mins, as soon as I was done with the stress test (both CPU/GPU) it restarted while idle
  • Thought I might be running into some random bug with Win10, so I changed to Win7 to see if I could confirm a hardware issue. It is randomly restarting on both OS.
  • Updated BIOS
  • Used DDU to uninstall GPU/Audio drivers - reinstalled. Tried rolling back as well.
  • Checked  Power Options thoroughly, it is currently on High Performance
  • Updated Win10 until there are no more updates / All drivers updated (including chipset).
  • Clean boot (still does it)
  • Got desperate, completely disassembled my entire system, cleaned, meticulously put everything back together.

The interesting thing is that I can re-create this just by sleeping in that game. I think that's so odd. But other times I can just be browsing online, or even idle at desktop. Another odd thing is that I can't seem to re-create this issue in Safe Mode. I've tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers.. so many things.

PC Info: 

If you need any more info let me know. I'm back on Win10. I haven't noticed anything wrong with my PSU, and what makes me feel like it may not be the PSU is the fact that I have such a good one: EVGA Supernova 750w 80+ Gold.

Please I'm begging you if anyone can please please please please help me. I have tried SO much. And yes I did the obvious thing and turned off that automatic restart in the startup/recovery area. I am a very patient person, and I will try anything you think might help me diagnose or fix the issue. Thank you so much for reading/caring. It means so much to me because my PC is my only thing I own and I'm disabled/stuck in this this basement with nothing else. Please I will be so depressed if I can't fix this. I've been trying so hard to do it myself, but this issue is VERY odd. And no I don't have parts to swap/test I'm poor af. I've been to every possible place asking for help. I've tried reddit, facebook pc groups, other pc related forums, friends, Microsoft Support (wow awful btw), and even asking knowledgeable people on twitter.... I am VERY desperate.

I don't have another PSU/GPU to test this stuff either. I'm just so distraught. This is my only thing to do down here in this awful basement. 

AMD FX-8120 3.1 GHz Octa Core
GTX 770 4GB
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM
Gigabyte AM4-DS3P Mobo
EVGA Supernova 750W 80+ Gold PSU

8 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_BrandonO
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 224
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/24 06:47:55 (permalink)
    Thats tricky considering you don't have another card to test with and it doesn't look like the CPU has onboard graphics on it. Its very possible that somehow the voltages are unstable. Might want to use something like HW monitor to keep an eye on the power supply voltages. Try triggering it like you said and see if they dip when the issue happens.

Have a moment? Please rate our service
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/24 12:29:43 (permalink)
    Try running with a single stick of ram. Try moving the video card to a different pci-e slot.
    princessmisery
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/24 12:59:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Try running with a single stick of ram. Try moving the video card to a different pci-e slot.

I will try that today, thank you for the suggestion!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/24 13:14:49 (permalink)
    No problem.
    princessmisery
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/25 03:46:52 (permalink)
    I haven't moved the GPU to another slot yet, I wanted to post a little update real quick. I was browsing online and going to post a comment on fb. Well as soon as I moved my mouse to click the comment box, my mouse started going SUPER slow and laggy, then the browser stopped responding. Then the whole  PC locked up. After about 30sec-1min it stopped lagging and right after it did, my computer made 5 beeps. Now looking at my mobo beep codes it says CPU Error. But aren't those when you start up the PC, not while IN Windows? Any ideas?

edit: Wow your PC is amazing, I was just looking at that link. :o
    post edited by princessmisery - 2020/07/25 03:49:32
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/25 08:39:37 (permalink)
    Try older/latest NVIDIA Graphics Drivers (Standard), you can go way back.

Try using the "High performance" Power Option in Windows -> Control Panel -> Power Options.

Manually set the RAM to the Crucial frequency/timing/voltage specs and with a 2T/2N Command Rate (tCMD) or try an X.M.P. profile.

Disable Cool&Quiet in the BIOS.

Increase the CPU Core Voltage (Vcore) 0.1 volts from the current maximum under load.

Monitor voltages as stated above in Post #2.

You can dynamically/temporarily change many settings in Gigabyte EasyTune on-the-fly without going into the BIOS to make static/permanent changes all the time..You should be able to set voltage (and other) Min/Max alerts (visual and/or audio) in EasyTune also..You can also use HWiNFO for monitoring and setting alerts.

PSU voltage specs are,
    +12V: 11.4V - 12.6V
    +5V: 4.75V - 5.25V
    +3.3V: 3.14V - 3.47V
    -12V: Negative 10.8V - 13.2V
    +5VSB (Voltage StandBy): 4.75V - 5.25V

Just some things to try here, not in any particular order..It would be great if you could get/borrow another video card to try.

Also see if there's anything in Windows Event Viewer (Critical/Error/Warning) that might point to a problem.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/25 11:13:31 (permalink)
    Beeps in windows is strange, but I guess it could occur there also.

Thanks.
    princessmisery
    Re: Random restarts 2020/07/25 14:04:37 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Try older/latest (Standard), you can go way back.

Try using the "High performance" Power Option in Windows -> Control Panel -> Power Options.

Manually set the RAM to the Crucial frequency/timing/voltage specs and with a 2T/2N Command Rate (tCMD) or try an X.M.P. profile.

Disable Cool&Quiet in the BIOS.

Increase the CPU Core Voltage (Vcore) 0.1 volts from the current maximum under load.

Monitor voltages as stated above in Post #2.

You can dynamically/temporarily change many settings in Gigabyte EasyTune on-the-fly without going into the BIOS to make static/permanent changes all the time..You should be able to set voltage (and other) Min/Max alerts (visual and/or audio) in EasyTune also..You can also use for monitoring and setting alerts.

PSU voltage specs are,
    +12V: 11.4V - 12.6V
    +5V: 4.75V - 5.25V
    +3.3V: 3.14V - 3.47V
    -12V: Negative 10.8V - 13.2V
    +5VSB (Voltage StandBy): 4.75V - 5.25V

Just some things to try here, not in any particular order..It would be great if you could get/borrow another video card to try.

Also see if there's anything in Windows Event Viewer (Critical/Error/Warning) that might point to a problem.

Hey there Bob, thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate this info very much. I did have EasyTune, I thought I might give that a try. I am a little unsure about the voltage thing, I've never done that sort of stuff before. I wanted to go ahead and link a thread where I've been talking with two people about my progress in the comments, so it might give you more insight with everything I've done. The original part of the thread was removed because moderators felt we got off track of the lowendgaming discussion, but the comments between myself and two other gentleman might help, just in case! Yes I am also trying to acquire some very cheap GPU just so I can test. Thank you so so so very much for trying to help me. I'll look into EasyTune right now. However I am a bit unsure how exactly to do what you're suggesting with the voltage. I will read up on it. 

Oh dang it won't let me post the link... hmmm perhaps I can pm you if you don't mind? I hope you don't mind. 
    Ok hmm I can't PM you either. Dang there's good information there.

2T/2N Command Rate (tCMD) or try an X.M.P. profile. (That part had me a little confused, I don't know what those are, my apologies.)

Oh I forgot to mention, I'll do as you suggest with the drivers as well. I did try rolling back and getting the newest, but your comment about being able to go way back made me intrigued, will do!
    post edited by princessmisery - 2020/07/25 14:12:45
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile