Z390 Dark not posting

Author
tonschk
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/07/13 05:47:59 (permalink)
Hi, basically this is the second time attempting to turn on this Z390 Dark after purchased, I already contacted EVGA for an updated BIOS chip which recently arrived here, I have two i3-9100 CPU and a single module 16Gb RAM Adata (I attach link below) connected to DIMM1, after connecting PSU (PC power&cooling 910W) and a cheap video card which I know is working perfectly, the small LED BIOS number 1 is constantly illuminated aswell as 5 Volts LED, then I press the switch on button and for just a second the CPU fan start to spin and also many LED  are illuminated and then immidiatly everything automatically turn off, the same happen when I swap the CPU with the other i3-9100 I have, do you think can be problem with the RAM?, even if for my experience looks like is automatically turning off for some safety reason, thank you for help and advice

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000090487368.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTBUY4T

PC Power&Cooling 910W Silencer, I just LOVE this high quality and built to last PSU 

10 Replies Related Threads

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/13 06:41:46 (permalink)
    memory would be where I'd start.   That memory isn't on the compatibility list.  May work but Look into getting a quality ram module for a quality motherboard.

https://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/13 08:43:03 (permalink)
    auto off of the PSU ?  could be a PSU issue - why would the safety system be tripping ?

Confirm all PSU connections on both ends: 24-Pin, CPU power ... is MB in a case, test bench or on the box ?

If it is In the case - remove all connections to the case & external ports & check that All standoffs are properly placed & backplate "grounding fingers" (not touching inside of a Port).. then retest

What does the Manual say about RAM testing that the MB does automatically ?

edit: typo

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

tonschk
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/13 13:44:52 (permalink)
    Hi, thank you for the help, I was checking the manual and under the "System does not POST", was not exact the same problem I have which is an automatic instantaneous system turning off without posting or booting but keeping always on and illuminated the "+5V Standby Power" LED and the "BIOS 1 Active" LED, even if was useful to some extent because is a info there stating in case of using one single memory module, the “DIMM slot 2” must be populated (I was using just DIMM slot 1), i change my single memory module to DIMM slot 2, but the result is the same as before, I am testing with the mobo on a rubber mat and so far without a case, and therefore there are not obvious short circuits. The power supply I am using have been working perfectly testing 4 or 5 motherboards mostly servers mobos without problems. I am going to order soon another U-DIMM module which is the Transcend DDR4 Unbuffered Long DIMM 2666Ghz 16GB in the link below. One question please, it is compulsory or not to install the video card on the closest PCIe slot to the CPU, or is ok to use second PCIe slot below, thank you very much for help and advice
    https://uk.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/Item.aspx?PN=TS2GLH64V6BL

?, 

PC Power&Cooling 910W Silencer, I just LOVE this high quality and built to last PSU 
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/13 14:51:37 (permalink)
    you can use either PCIe slot.  

A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    TiN_EE
    Yes, that TiN
    • Total Posts : 377
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/18 15:02:49 (permalink)
    What is that awful cooler mounted with bolts?! It's supposed to be torque loaded mount, not workshop screws and bolts! If socket ILM is over tighten that most likely would damage processor or/and motherboard socket, and violate RMA.

To confirm or deny issue with your setup, remove cooler completely, remove all mounting hardware, and power on system having finger on mains power switch to PSU. Yes, power on without any cooler on the CPU. CPU will not overheat in few seconds, but it's enough to see if post codes start rolling and choochin. If that's the case, buy proper cooler and have fun.

If you have question, please post in public forum. I do not reply PMs, so all in community can benefit the answer. 
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/18 15:15:43 (permalink)
    good eye.  I didn't even catch that.   

tonschk
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/18 16:11:41 (permalink)
    I order online another RAM U-DIMM and I am waiting for delivery, I keep trying and today after removing the video card the result was the same automatic turn off, later I also removed the RAM and also was giving me the same automatic turn off,  on top of that I also removed the CPU cooler giving the same result, finally I removed also the CPU and nothing change, I check the CPU snd the CPU socket and both looks perfect, tomorrow I check again with the other CPU I have plus I am going also to swap the PSU and try with two or three differents power supply, thank you very much for the help

TiN_EE
    Yes, that TiN
    • Total Posts : 377
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/18 18:25:06 (permalink)
    Memory is not your problem. System should power on and roll postcode until RAM error codes even without any RAM installed. I'd try with different PSU. This PC&P is very old power supply.
    Also try to flip a BIOS switch to another ROM, just in case.

If you have question, please post in public forum. I do not reply PMs, so all in community can benefit the answer. 
    tonschk
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/18 19:22:20 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for reply, I check carefully for few minutes each, the CPU and the CPU socket, all pins looks perfectly uniform to each other, later I installed again just the CPU and the previously mentioned RAM in slot number 2 (I hope this is the correct slot when using single RAM), and tested with a bunch of differents power supplies, I have like ten or eleven power supplies of good quality, unfortunately did not make any difference, the only post code visible within the split of a second before the system turn automatically off is just "00", there are also within the same second other than plenty of small white LEDs on the mobo, also two small red LED which become illuminated and are related to DIMM1 and DIMM 2 "Fail", may be this is the problen, I try tomorrow to change to different BIOS with the swith, this can be intresting because so far I was testing using BIOS number 1, which is the new BIOS chip I got revently from EVGA, thank you very much for the help 

Zeddivile
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 761
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Z390 Dark not posting 2020/07/21 10:17:28 (permalink)
    I will try to replace this with something helpful...
    post edited by Zeddivile - 2020/07/21 17:58:09

"This stuff breaks my tiny often dehydrated and carb deprived hamster brain" -2019

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile