Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/06/27 01:26:06 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/269079/microsoft-moves-to-permanently-close-physical-shops

Microsoft has decided to revamp their customer interaction priorities. The company has recently announced they will be closing off all Microsoft physical stores and doubling down on its digital storefronts - the company is looking to start offering new services such as one-on-one videochats, where customers can converse with Microsoft employees when making a purchase - effectively digitizing one of the salient aspects of brick-and-mortar stores. Stores which have been closed since March this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The decision rolls back o Microsoft's continued work on deploying physical spaces where its products can be admired, touched, and tested by prospective buyers. It looked like Microsoft was looking to recreate the Apple Store experience - adding a more premium, more personal touch to their products. However, physical stores are both more expensive to upkeep and vulnerable to more liabilities than digital-only storefronts, and it seems Microsoft has decided the stores just weren't cutting, whether financially or in brand image. No mention on layoffs was made by Microsoft in the announcement, so it seems that most of these workers will be moving on to other endeavors inside the company - likely some of them to the aforementioned 1:1 digital shop customer service. Just another step in an increasingly digital world. The closing of Microsoft Store physical locations will result in a pre-tax charge of approximately $450M, or $0.05 per share, to be recorded in the current quarter ending June 30, 2020.

Personally I always thought that Microsoft having a physical store wasn't a good idea

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/27 02:43:37 (permalink)
    I think the problem Microsoft has is they don't really make the products to really have a physical store. It's like the surface laptop but they really don't have a premium mouse, microphone, speakers or webcam or smart speaker. While they have Xbox and the premium controllers they really don't have enough to show off since most of what Microsoft makes money off of is things people want before they walk in and don't need to be sold on a demo of. Things that would really need a physical store though would be the Holo Lens or a product like Kinect that really take people trying out the hardware experience. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/27 08:04:39 (permalink)
    Microsoft had physical stores? I have been to at least a dozen states; never saw a Microsoft store. Won't be missed.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/27 08:52:15 (permalink)
    You mean the apple stores🤔

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/27 18:40:44 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Microsoft had physical stores? I have been to at least a dozen states; never saw a Microsoft store. Won't be missed.

I was thinking the same thing.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/27 19:08:19 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Sure, they have (or I guess had) a store across from the Apple store here. They usually placed them next to the Apple locations. 

But yeah, with Microsoft not emphasizing hardware sales the stores never made sense to me. The last good mouse they made was 15 years ago, yet the only mice they make today are the same ones they made 20 years ago with dark plastic instead of beige. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/28 02:36:48 (permalink)
    kougar
    ty_ger07

Sure, they have (or I guess had) a store across from the Apple store here. They usually placed them next to the Apple locations. 

But yeah, with Microsoft not emphasizing hardware sales the stores never made sense to me. The last good mouse they made was 15 years ago, yet the only mice they make today are the same ones they made 20 years ago with dark plastic instead of beige. 

Microsoft did for a time have some interesting mice like the Touchmouse, the Arc Mouse and the Wedge Mouse. All of those did something interesting.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/28 09:43:50 (permalink)
    It’s the difference between innovation and following some else’s ideas. Apple is doing it, so it should work for me too? Not really, Microsoft isn’t Apple. (Thank goodness)
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/06/28 20:54:29 (permalink)
    Hoggle

Microsoft did for a time have some interesting mice like the Touchmouse, the Arc Mouse and the Wedge Mouse. All of those did something interesting.

They really did. And the intellimouse 3 was pretty solid in its own right. But upper management never got behind pushing hardware so its hardware just languished and eventually faded away, long enough that Logitech saw the market was there for it and created their own versions of everything.

Have water, will cool. 
    weasel333
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/07/03 19:31:44 (permalink)
    They closed all their shops and nobody noticed.

MY MINI-ITX BUILD       
    boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Moves to Permanently Close Physical Shops 2020/07/04 04:49:27 (permalink)
    They must have come to the realization that they do not make additional revenue through upfront advertising and promotions at physical locations where they incur additional expenses due to additional operating costs.  All they need is to continue cornering consumers into helplessly having to purchase their products due to no other options such as Windows 10 for DX12 only games.  When the consumer has no other reasonable option, it is almost effortless revenue even if there are annoying flaws or inconveniences.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile