EVGA

Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/07/02 08:49:21 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/chinese_manufacturer_proartist_solves_amd_s_stuck_cpu_problem_with_ife2_bracket/1

Almost every AMD user has done this. It's a problem which has been present on AMD's processors for well over a decade. AMD's processors love getting stuck to heatsinks, and with a PGA design, that means that you are likely to tear out your processor when you're replacing your heatsink. 

This problem is so prevalent that AMD has advice on its website to tell their users how to remove heatsinks from its AM4 processors. You can read their guidance here, and it really shows that AMD has a CPU retention problem.   

Over in China, a manufacturer called ProArtist has solved this issue by designing a unique bracket which offers Ryzen users the support which AMD cannot. With their anti-pull-out bracket, Ryzen users can remove their CPU coolers without the risk of damaging their processors. 

ProArtist's AM4 CPU bracket is available with the company's Desserts2 CPU cooler and as a standalone product for selected CPU retention mechanisms. A Noctua-compatible version is available, alongside what we believe to be a Lumin compatible variant. At the Chinese retailer Taobao, this bracket can give you a better CPU retention mechanism for Ryzen processors for less than $5. 

Very impressive that a solution for this issue can cost less than 5 dollars.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

5 Replies Related Threads

random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket 2020/07/02 09:27:56 (permalink)
    Simply easy to just keep twisting until the heatsink starts moving, and pull off. AMD stock coolers are a big issue though, their thermal paste is like super glue.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket 2020/07/02 12:21:44 (permalink)
    random_matt
    Simply easy to just keep twisting until the heatsink starts moving, and pull off. AMD stock coolers are a big issue though, their thermal paste is like super glue.

Yes they are. I've never used the pre-made paste/glue in a CPU heatsink before though. Getting higher quality paste is always a great & cheap investment... speaking of which; what's the consensus go-to these days? I haven't put a new rig together in 5 years but need some this fall.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket 2020/07/02 14:12:38 (permalink)
    Intel's PGA chips had the same issue. It isn't an AMD vs Intel design issue. It is a PGA vs LGA design issue.

What I would do for my PGA Intel CPUs: run a stress test and get the CPU nice and hot. Then shut down the computer and immediately take the heatsink off. When the thermal paste was hot, it was usually not an issue.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket 2020/07/02 15:33:13 (permalink)
    castrator86
    random_matt

Yes they are. I've never used the pre-made paste/glue in a CPU heatsink before though. Getting higher quality paste is always a great & cheap investment... speaking of which; what's the consensus go-to these days? I haven't put a new rig together in 5 years but need some this fall.

Found Kryonaut, TF8 and TFX the best, the latter two are easier to spread if on Ryzen. Blob method is still the best for Intel I guess, never tried nanogrease extreme, highest thermal conductivity.

To be honest all above average pastes are going to be within 2-3c anyway, cannot go wrong with most to be fair. I'm using TF8 at the mo, pretty good stuff.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Chinese manufacturer ProArtist solves AMD's "Stuck CPU" problem with IFE2 bracket 2020/07/04 08:07:36 (permalink)
    Makes me wonder what, if any changes AMD plans to make with AM5 next year. AM5 will be around for most of the decade, so if they are going to change their retention mechanism, adopt LGA, or start including this new bracket that would be the time to make the change. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile