AnsweredNew AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case

Author
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 25
2020/06/25 22:21:09 (permalink)
A coworker recently bought a new AC window mounting unit and place it in a through wall case in her apartment. She said that the ac blows cool air eventhough the ac and the metal wall case are hot to the touch after running the unit for about an hour at night.
Should she be concerned?🤔

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 01:10:27 (permalink)
I would tell her to return that unit for a new one. It should never be that hot to the touch. I have used 8,000 up to 25,000 BTU window units. The metal box around them have never been hot to touch.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 07:27:23 (permalink)
What kind of ventilation does the unit have?  It seems to me the units dies not have any ventilation.

aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 07:41:14 (permalink)
somethings not right - either no ventilation or it's broken

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 07:55:26 (permalink)
Thank you for the replies.
There is a 3 inch gap from top and the sides of the unit. The bottom just 1 inch ventilation. The unit is not that big compare to the wall case. So the ventilation part is enough since it has a vent to release the hot air in the back of the ac unit. Im going to check the ac unit today but i agree with most of you it shouldn't be hot to the touch after 30 minutes of use. I would recommend her to request a replacement.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11071
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 10:29:55 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2020/07/13 12:53:57
Yeah too much gap, not enough fresh air going over the condenser coil. It is recirculating in the wall units frame.
You can't just put a window unit into a wall units frame.

It would be like putting an AIO CPU cooler radiator laying inside case with no exhaust/intake fans 

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/06/26 11:11:00 (permalink)
bill1024
Yeah too much gap, not enough fresh air going over the condenser coil. It is recirculating in the wall units frame.
You can't just put a window unit into a wall units frame.

It would be like putting an AIO CPU cooler radiator laying inside case with no exhaust/intake fans 

🤔 i was suspicious about this but you are right.
Ill let her.know about.this issue.🤦

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/07/06 04:22:17 (permalink)
Does the outside of the unit have space like this for ventilation?

If the side vents are covered up or the fan behind the coils not spinning, that would explain why it would be hot to the touch. If the side vents are covered up, she will need to see if she can exchange the window unit for a wall unit.

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10098
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/07/06 04:45:34 (permalink)
It doesn't seem normal I would return it for another unit.

If ventilation is an issue she could also look at a floor. They just sit inside on the floor and have a hose going out to the window for the hot air it's pulling out of the room. The only drawback is having it take up about a large trash can size of floor space and having the hose going off to the window to vent. Also they have a revivor that will fill up with water and needs to be drained. Sometimes that fills up fast other times not really an issue since it depends on weather and location for how much water it's pulling out of the air where you live. Advantage though is very fast setup and being able to put it in any room with a window.
post edited by Hoggle - 2020/07/06 04:46:52

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: New AC unit is running hot at inside a through wall case 2020/07/07 21:10:20 (permalink)
The AC will be replaced by a wall through AC unit. The one she has is a window unit just like MSim, it has vents all over, while the wall does not. It has all the necessary items all the way in the back of the AC.
I appreciate everyone for your feedback and my co-worker said she is grateful for all your fast replies and assistance.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile