Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/06/25 08:53:30 (permalink)
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=47981

JOLED, an OLED manufacturer in Japan, filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung Electronics, Samsung Display, and Samsung Electronics' U.S. subsidiary with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas on June 22, the company announced in its website. A company jointly set up by Sony, Panasonic and other Japanese companies, JOLED also filed a similar complaint against Samsung Electronics Co. and its German subsidiary with the District Court of Mannheim in Germany.

JOLED claims that Samsung Electronics and others used its OLED panel technology without permission for Galaxy smartphones sold in the United States. Industry sources believe that the patent was related to OLED material technology. JOLED holds about 4,000 patents related to organic matters.
On June 19, JOLED announced mass production of OLED panels for TVs, declaring war against LG Display, which has strengths in large OLED panels. JOLED had technologies related to OLEDs but lacked the funds needed to develop large OLEDs. It received investments worth 20 billion yen from CSOT, a Chinese display company. Chinese and Japanese display manufacturers are stepping up efforts to catch up with Korean companies in OLED technologies through the joint development of large OLEDs.

I'm sure some type of legal settlement will probably occur. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/25 08:59:11 (permalink)
    I wonder why they waited so long to file. I guess that it is more about getting more settlement money and less about trying to stop competition.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/25 13:31:46 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I wonder why they waited so long to file. I guess that it is more about getting more settlement money and less about trying to stop competition.

Patent trolling, invented here, has apparently taken over the world.

OLED has been commercially available for 15+ years. There should absolutely be a time limit to enforce a patent or lose it. That’s assuming their patents are actually valid and not some vaguely worded “oled-ish” type of display.

The “we were broke” argument doesn’t cut it. If they had enough money to file - presumably with lawyers - they had the money to enforce.

Throw it (lawsuit) out.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/28 21:42:35 (permalink)
    I use an IPS panel, color quality and viewing angles are good.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/28 22:41:36 (permalink)
    MasterMiner
    ty_ger07

Patent trolling, invented here, has apparently taken over the world.

OLED has been commercially available for 15+ years. There should absolutely be a time limit to enforce a patent or lose it. That’s assuming their patents are actually valid and not some vaguely worded “oled-ish” type of display.

The “we were broke” argument doesn’t cut it. If they had enough money to file - presumably with lawyers - they had the money to enforce.

Throw it (lawsuit) out.

Well, if JOLED has 4000 OLED based patents they have a right to defend those patents. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/29 11:53:42 (permalink)

Well, if JOLED has 4000 OLED based patents they have a right to defend those patents. 

Actually... that depends. If a patent owner waits too long and is obviously aware of in infringement and does nothing to stop it - that patent goes null and void based on “imminent domain”.

Property which is not defended and allows trespass becomes public.

You have to show some level of seriousness about protecting your property before you can go to the government for enforcement.

Same thing with Trade Secrets. If you make no effort to protect or identify what you or your company considers a trade secret - OR freely allows employees or contractors to download that information to their personal devices - you have no claim of trade secret.

You have to be an active participant in securing your property or the government will deem your lawsuit frivolous.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/29 12:56:52 (permalink)
    The lawsuit is targeted at OLED smartphone screens. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/30 14:05:27 (permalink)
    Patent Law is a joke. The way it works is the first to file status is what gets patented, even is someone else has previous implemented examples. You've now got companies that just go around looking at other's tech and filing patent applications for what makes the tech unique and trolling them. A typical patent lawsuit is at least 3 million just to get it started, so it's big money payouts for those that game the system.

A side effect of that is US Copyright is also through the same government entity. Ever hear of that Netflix new series called Space Force? Well, Netflix filed a Copyright for "Space Force" and are legally trolling the US Government for name use rights. Isn't first to file rights wonderfully bad? You might be first to use, but first to file gets the rights. 
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2020/06/30 14:10:34
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    Re: JOLED Files Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Samsung 2020/06/30 18:38:43 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    ..... A side effect of that is US Copyright is also through the same government entity. Ever hear of that Netflix new series called Space Force? Well, Netflix filed a Copyright for "Space Force" and are legally trolling the US Government for name use rights. Isn't first to file rights wonderfully bad? You might be first to use, but first to file gets the rights. 

I have not heard of that one... and people wonder why China’s winning (I know, I sound like a broken record) but seriously.... You’re exactly right and this is why a big chunk of the world doesn’t take our claims of “ip” seriously.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile