EVGA

How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech?

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2020/06/15 21:20:39 (permalink)

From what I can see, for 27" 1440p ~144Hz gaming monitors, be it TN or IPS, the ASUS PG279Q (and equivalent from other brands) are still pretty much top of the line, yet they have been out since 2015, and are still plagued with backlight bleed and IPS glow issues. I find it insane that with all the advancements in both CPU and GPU tech over the last 5 years that monitors have completely stagnated. There is nothing. The only 'advancement' is with the bs 1ms claims from brands like LG, which are non-functional for gaming and you have to set them to 'standard mode' 5ms anyway for gaming, so in effect no change whatsoever... and a lot of the 27" panels coming out recently have taken a step backward to 1080p.

Are the few panel makers just not giving a crap because there's no competition to advance the technology? Have they agreed among themselves just to keep pumping out bs so they can enrich themselves more, rather than invest in R&D? I thought for sure there'd be something significant by now.. I'm still running on a PG278Q which came out in July 2014, and it's still considered a top line gaming monitor 6 years later. 6 years ago, the top HEDT CPU was probably the 4th Gen Intel i7-4770k (5th Gen Broadwell wasn't until 2015). NVidia was still on the GTX-700 series. Both Intel and NVidia (and AMD!) have had huge leaps in tech since then, as has memory.. everything except monitors, unless you count curved monitors, but the tech is still the same, just curved, lol.

Sigh.. just venting my frustrations.

/useless rant 

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

8 Replies Related Threads

random_matt
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2040
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/15 21:44:27 (permalink)
    TV, TV and TV.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | EVGA 1000 G6 | EVGA X570 FTW | Ryzen 5800X | EVGA 360 CLC | Corsair 4000MHz 32GB|
    Corsair MP600 2TB | EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Hybrid | Alienware AW2721D | Windows 11

wingzero1912
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/15 22:38:42 (permalink)
    Only useful new tech stuff is g-sync and free-sync.  They both provide noticeable change in experience. 

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/16 07:06:58 (permalink)
    I agree with you Nereus.  I'm still using the same monitor (PG278Q) since it released in 2014.  It still works & looks like it did new.  Everytime I look around at something new, I just don't see the point of spending a bunch of cash for a monitor that may have better looking colors etc, but then deal with issue's like light bleed, ghosting and other issue's that take away from that gain.  I'm still waiting for some big advancement(s) in monitor tech to justify the price tag of these so-called top of the line display's.

@ wingzero.  Personally, I wouldn't consider Gsync "new tech" as my ASUS from 2014 has it.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/18 07:32:56 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/18 10:40:40 (permalink)
    I think that the technology exists but right now the fact is we can't really get 4K for the majority of gamers. Maybe with the next generation of graphics cards we might hit the point where we will see more interest in making 4K gaming monitors as a lot more people will be able to afford to game at 4K. The generation after next should make 4K far more standard as I would assume that at that point the 4060 (or whatever it's called) will probably be able to play a PS5 level game at 4K and be playable while people with the high end cards like a 4080Ti would be playing at above 144hz with all settings maxed out.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 474
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/19 23:32:29 (permalink)
    Agreed here as well. I, myself want a IPS 34" ultra wide, g-sync, 120Hz, HDR400 (minimum) 1440p screen. My Acer X34p is close but not quite there dangit! VA panels have already past that but ugh the ghosting on VA panels = super annoying.

As long as your popular enough, you can get away with anything.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/20 02:40:21 (permalink)
    One thing that should be considered is we are at the point that monitors won't really see a big gain from increasing the resolution anymore above 4K. That means if one brand is going to improve the monitor over another they will have to improve the technology that goes into the monitor. Of course they could always do some huge monitor that would allow 8K to show more details which is also likely to happen. I just feel that for the 27" monitors it will become about technology soon as it's going to be all they can really improve.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: How many years do we have to wait for new monitor tech? 2020/06/20 20:35:27 (permalink)
    Nereus
    Are the few panel makers just not giving a crap because there's no competition to advance the technology?
    Capitalism, that's why any company exists; although it is a catch 22.  Here's my thoughts...  

Think about how it got started: Somewhere along the way a company decided to take a leap and bring something to market based on internal studies that suggested the total cost to bring something to market was not only lower than the current demand, but that demand may actually grow.  At the same time, other companies (competition) watch closely for when to project the market might grow (meaning more customers next year than this year) big enough for another player to jump in at the right time, versus never getting big enough for more two players at best.

In other words, this isn't just because there isn't any more competition, maybe the demand and number of competitors have balanced out.  In a way, that is a bad situation, because the market can dip and suddenly a competitor will offer less products until they back out completely.  But every competitor will still forecast their own future and see if new features can attract new customers.  That's the goal, that's growth, it's not about giving products to those who are already loyal.  That's why I don't get people being fans, their focus is always on growth, i.e. new customers.  No company survives solely on their loyal customers.

Technology progress overall depends on what mass market can afford or get, i.e. average joe's needs do change, and have from a decade or two ago.  The goal of any company is to have sales from bread & butter pay for the whole program such that high-end becomes pure profit.  If high-end display manufacturers get enough regular monitor sales, then they can afford fancy features on fancy displays.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile