Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery

Author
thibaulth
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/30 05:33:59 (permalink)
Hi,
I have an EVGA SC15 1060 laptop for almost 2 years and I'm very happy with it.
I lost 3 screws under the laptop, I think they fall because of vibrations. It results in a gap in front of my laptop (I have posted pictures in attachments).
I already ask the support for new screws, I must get them soon.
It's been 20 days since I contact the support for this problem, and now the gap is bigger. It seems the battery it's inflating.
So today I open a new ticket for this problem too. But I like would like a quick answer for the forum to be sure the battery don't inflate more, leak or explode.
- Does the battery is in front the laptop, under the trackpad ?
- If I open the laptop to replace the battery, will it brake the warranty ?
Thank you
post edited by thibaulth - 2020/05/30 06:13:54

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2020/05/30 06:13:09 (permalink)
    I apologize for the delay. Your post was stuck in the spam filter, 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2020/05/30 08:07:22 (permalink)
    More reports of swelling batteries in EVGA laptops:
    https://forums.evga.com/W...trackpad-m3046331.aspx

I removed the battery from my SC17 due to these reports.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2020/05/30 09:20:37 (permalink)
    Using damaged batteries is never a good idea .... I'd either stop using the laptop  -Or - remove the battery

Laptops can be a pain to open - especially if you have never done it & don't have the proper tools .. I'd look for a guide as a first step

If your laptop is still under EVGA warranty .. start a Ticket for RMA

Physical damage caused by the Customer is Never covered by EVGA Warranty EVGA Warranty

If your laptop is Out of warranty contact EVGA for replacement information ... I'm not sure they have a part number or source for those

Support Tickets

How To RMA

I've had this happen to an Apple laptop also ... batteries just fail & swelling is the result

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2245
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2020/05/30 18:36:45 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums and I am sorry to hear this and I see ticket in for our Europe support and they will be able to assist you with this when they return and I can confirm it is currently in warranty.
    dethareyou
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2020/06/21 11:32:55 (permalink)
    Hi,

got the same issue. How does it ended? Does evga fixed it?
    dothedew72
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2021/02/20 08:57:21 (permalink)
    These clowns will not fix it, they don't stand behind their products. 
    dothedew72
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2021/02/20 09:04:33 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MattM
    Welcome to the forums and I am sorry to hear this and I see ticket in for our Europe support and they will be able to assist you with this when they return and I can confirm it is currently in warranty.

This shouldn't be just a warranty issue. There's tons of these posts on this forum and elsewhere. Your company used cheap and dangerous parts, swelling batteries are a fire hazard. This should be a recall or the company should be offering replacement batteries. 
    I've had many many electronics in my lifetime, and they should not have swollen batteries in just over 2 years (the standard warranty length). 

EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Open the laptop and warranty - Inflating battery 2021/02/20 12:47:41 (permalink)
    dothedew72
    EVGATech_MattM

This shouldn't be just a warranty issue. There's tons of these posts on this forum and elsewhere. Your company used cheap and dangerous parts, swelling batteries are a fire hazard. This should be a recall or the company should be offering replacement batteries. 
    I've had many many electronics in my lifetime, and they should not have swollen batteries in just over 2 years (the standard warranty length). 

We apologize about your frustrations. As we no longer manufacture these products and we do not currently have stock - EVGA can only provide support within the 2 years of the warranty terms. At the current time we have no recalls in regards to this. Thank you for your understanding 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile