EVGA

Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems

Author
liamstack
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/30 07:42:26 (permalink)
Please hear me and give any help possible. I purchased a EVGA SC15 to help with my music production and a bit of gaming. I was very happy with it until relatively recently when the chassis started to come apart. It was very minor at first but then suddenly got much more severe a short time ago. Upon inspection and asking professional advice I discovered the battery had expanded, and this is what caused the chassis to break up. I initially went to the extended warranty provider (Mendit) I had purchased cover from (email sent around April 7) but they said I had caused the damage myself. I then went to the retailer (Box) who agreed with him that the damage was in fact caused by the battery expanding. Finally I contacted EVGA with this information and they agreed to take it back. Now I have received a refurbished replacement but after all this it came with a German keyboard. I am very upset and disappointed. In these times it's especially hard having no laptop to escape from reality. And what makes it much worse is I have severe mental health issues. The realisation that the battery could have blown up and caused me a severe injury really hit me hard. The long process trying to get it resolved was also deeply stressful for me. And finally when I got a replacement ( May 27, about 7 weeks after initially trying to get this sorted), it didn't even come with an English keyboard. I find this whole experience utterly unacceptable. If there's anyone who is here from EVGA can you please assist me?

15 Replies Related Threads

BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 08:03:04 (permalink)
    Sorry you had such a bad time with it!
    These are mostly user forums, but if you need to contact EVGA, the best place is: https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 09:52:11 (permalink)
    I can honestly say that most peoples mental health is questionable at the moment and will continue to be through the pandemic. More people than ever are staying home, working from home and making less interactions with other humans in general. Some people that depend on the good vibes at work or other positive people to help motivate them through the day are not getting that anymore. Things other humans do can be contagious in many ways, without those things rubbing off on people... a lot is going to change in the next year or so.

Since you got a German keyboard, I assume you are in the EU? I would contact support and request an Advanced RMA in your situation. Just stay as calm as you can, lay out your issue and see what they can do to help. Getting vulgar can hurt your chances of getting the help you need.

haha... sorry man, not laughing at you but the situation. You don't have a mental health issue, it's an anxiety issue and you've built up the battery exploding idea over top of the laptop keyboard issue. The battery wouldn't explode exactly. If it were to "blow up" it would ignite, puff a ton of smoke... giving you a few seconds to get away from it... then it would have flames... it's not going to be like laptop grenade though. At that point, you would have to treat it like a magnesium fire that requires a class D fire extinguisher... unfortunately those are not cheap.

I did some research on this when a buddy of mine had some large LiPo batteries puffing up for his RC truck. Ran into the same story, thinking we were dealing with a ticking time bomb and he should just throw them away. The puffing up comes from a few different things... LiPo's can only be charged so many times before they go bad. Excessive heat will contribute to the deterioration of the battery, a laptop cooling pad would help with the lifetime of the battery. Also, with the LiPo's my buddy was using, it was recommended to charge at 8 AMP's and he was charging at 30 AMP's to get it done quicker... which is what caused his to puff up.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 10:35:25 (permalink)
    Contract EVGA directly  

Even happened to an Apple laptop I have, that always used the factory charger ... batteries fail

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 14:20:44 (permalink)
    BizSAR
    Sorry you had such a bad time with it!
    These are mostly user forums, but if you need to contact EVGA, the best place is: https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

+1

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    liamstack
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 15:53:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, sorry if I seem a little clueless, not a regular user of forums.
    BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 16:37:36 (permalink)
    We're all clueless at least once. :)

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2245
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/30 18:32:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear this and I have passed it to our Europe support to look into when they return. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    liamstack
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/05/31 06:53:28 (permalink)
    Thank you for your help Matt, much appreciated.
    EVGATech_MarkusK
    EVGA EU Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/03 05:32:12 (permalink)
    Hi,

thanks for your detailed post - the laptop was replaced within the same model, which means it originally also came within a German Layout - currently we are very limited on UK Layout, but we will inform you, when we do have some in and we are going to contact you again. Please note, we normally always replace within the same model, which we did in your case.

Markus
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/03 17:00:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MarkusK
    Hi,

thanks for your detailed post - the laptop was replaced within the same model, which means it originally also came within a German Layout - currently we are very limited on UK Layout, but we will inform you, when we do have some in and we are going to contact you again. Please note, we normally always replace within the same model, which we did in your case.

Markus

So, you are saying that his original laptop had a German keyboard layout and you replaced it with one with a German keyboard layout, but for some reason he was unhappy with that?

Makes no sense.  Something isn't adding up from somebody's story.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Inspector Gadget
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/04 08:13:12 (permalink)
    Just to confirm OP - where was the laptop purchased and which keyboard did it originally come with?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/04 08:26:03 (permalink)
    Inspector Gadget
    Just to confirm OP - where was the laptop purchased and which keyboard did it originally come with?

Welcome to the EVGA Forums

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

sorry for the small delay ... had to release your post from filter

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Inspector Gadget
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/04 08:42:42 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Inspector Gadget

Welcome to the EVGA Forums

sorry for the small delay ... had to release your post from filter

Thank you 
    liamstack
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/04 12:11:36 (permalink)
    I bought it from box.co.uk and it came with an English keyboard when I purchased it. The replacement they sent had a German keyboard, I'm English so it's needless to say it's not exactly the ideal replacement, I wasn't told anything about the replacement other than it being a refurb before I received it.
    EVGATech_MarkusK
    EVGA EU Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: Lengthy Laptop Problems Causing Mental Health Problems 2020/06/05 00:40:54 (permalink)
    Hi Liamstack,

we had a chat within our RMA Manager, the Laptop was replaced wrongly swapped wtihin the wrong keyboard layout - we created a DHL Label for the return, you should 
    have received it already by mail and additional one of our CS employees contacted you about this.

Sorry for the circumstances.

Have a good day.

Markus
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile