EVGA

1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop

Author
RedCuba
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/22 23:12:22 (permalink)
Hello EVGA forum members. Long time reader, first time poster. I come seeking assistance/guidance with my EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid.

I had thought my system stable, and last week I would have told you that. But I have been restricting my GPU to 1080p gaming, due to my monitors.

I recently added an ultrawide display to my desk, and with the new resolution, 3440x1440, I am finding that my 1080ti is not at all stable. Games are consistently crashing to desktop.

specs:
EVGA x99 Micro2 mobo (current bios)
i7 6800k (stock)
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid (stock)
4x Gskill 16GB DDR4-3200 (default @2400)
Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512 GB SSD (C drive)
Corsair HX750w PSU (older, purchased 2012)
2x Asus 1080p @ 60hz (only using 1 currently)
1x LG 3440x1440 @ 144hz (34GN850-B)

The card is connected with independent PCI-E power cables, in the 16x slot. The GPU rad is mounted vertically in the back, as the CPU cooler takes up the case upper position, but I leave the side panel off most of the time. Windows 10 was installed fresh not long ago.

CoD Warzone is what my group currently plays, and I have been fortunate in that I've not seen my system crash at 1080p settings. However, at current factory clock settings and 3440x1440 resolution, it will consistently crash to Windows with a 'dev error 6068'. I tried all the recommended fixes, but only restricting the card allows stable play.

The Nvidia 'debug mode' allows the game to launch, but it will still crash after some time. It's usually when the GPU and ram temps reach 60c. I've found that currently I must instead lower my target power to 80% AND turn on the shroud fan manually, in order to reach stable play. If I keep the temps in the 50c range then the card is usable. Im using Precision X1 on the 2nd display to monitor and make adjustments.

I've been seeing similar instability in Civ6, Mirrors Edge, and Conarium.

I've got some Noctua thermal compound on order, and I am thinking about removing the cooler and reinstalling with a new coating. Beyond that, I might try moving the card into the next PCI-E slot, an 8x.

Thoughts? Advice? I had first wondered if the PSU might be at fault due to age, but after searching this forum for similar reports, I am starting to think it may be a bad card.

This card was purchased direct from EVGA and the warranty is valid for a few more months.

Thanks for the help!

15 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/23 12:04:00 (permalink)
    Probably a bad card. Best thing to do would be to test the card in another known good system to see if the issue will follow the card. I'd be switching out that psu too just to be safe.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/23 13:32:35 (permalink)
    Precision X1 or XOC (older version)  ?

either way slide Temp & Power Targets full Max

Slide Voltage to Max

Set GPU & RAM at "+0"

Case fans Max RPM

Temps ? 

Room
    GPU
    RAM

Try running Time Spy Benchmark

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/24 09:28:59 (permalink)
    Thank you both for your replies.

I don't have a secondary computer to test the card in at this time, so I will bug a friend to assist with a transplant test. I would be okay with purchasing a new PSU, but it looks like EVGAs inventory is on backorder, so I will grab one when they become available.

I tried pushing up the voltage as recommended, but Warzone still crashed as the round began. The attachment was captured just before the game crashed.

The shroud fan speed was set to 100%. Im using the bios switch in position 1, so power target max is 118%. The case panel was left open and the room ambient temperature was low.

I don't own 3dmark at this time, but I might grab it, if you think the Time Spy benchmark would be useful for further diagnostic purposes.
    post edited by RedCuba - 2020/05/24 10:18:41

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/24 13:40:37 (permalink)
    Any Free Benchmark .. is better than a Game for Testing

3DMark usually has a Sale from time to time - in the past < $5 got the basic non-profession benchmarks

- Benchmark is consistent load

- Games can have bugs & driver issues

- online games can have may different internet issues Or the service like Steam can has issues

--> only downside to benchmark software --> it is a synthetic load

Removing any Overclock on a system is always a good place to start troubleshooting

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/24 14:44:44 (permalink)
    Thank you. I didn't realize at first that there was a demo. I thought you implied the paid version. Either way, I'm sure I'll end up buying the full suite sooner or later. Warzone is just my litmus test: I would like that game to be playable, if nothing else.

I have installed the 3d Mark demo software. Voltage, power target, and fan speed at maximum. Time Spy crashes out after about 15 to 20 seconds. 3d Mark reports an error, and score of 0.

a99Charlie
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/25 14:11:24 (permalink)
    I'm getting a very similar issue (1080ti SC BE) - 3440x1440 monitor. 
    This was a card I recently received from RMA, after my other 1080ti was crashing similarly, was replaced with this one.  
    Everything worked well for about 1 month until the crashes started happening. First in Destiny 2 (broccoli error), then CD:MW 6068, and FS2020 Alpha (CTD)... 

If I run at lower resolutions, I can play for longer but still received crashes shortly after starting a game (sometimes even in menus)
    Strangely, If I jack the fan to 100% temps stay below 65C, but still the crashes come, I guess not surprisingly since I get crashes at idle temperatures. 

PSU: Seasonic GX-850
    CPU: 3700x
    MOBO: ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wifi
    RAM: G.Skill Trident 3600 32GB
    Noctua coolers all round NHD15 on the cpu. 

Hopefully I can help troubleshoot along with RedCuba

RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/25 15:06:06 (permalink)
    A99Charlie: I'm sorry to hear that you are having similar trouble. I am able to game if I throttle to 80% power target. Maybe give that a try.

As for my own situation, I just finished transplanting the card into my friends computer.  Set max for power target, voltage and fan speed. Time Spy continues to crash within the first 20 seconds. Only after I set power target of 80% did 3dMark complete with a score in the 8000 range.

I will continue to tinker with this card, but it seems it's time to consider an RMA.

Thanks again everyone for their input.
    a99Charlie
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/25 21:40:36 (permalink)
    RedCuba
    A99Charlie: I'm sorry to hear that you are having similar trouble. I am able to game if I throttle to 80% power target. Maybe give that a try.

As for my own situation, I just finished transplanting the card into my friends computer.  Set max for power target, voltage and fan speed. Time Spy continues to crash within the first 20 seconds. Only after I set power target of 80% did 3dMark complete with a score in the 8000 range.

I will continue to tinker with this card, but it seems it's time to consider an RMA.

RedCuba, Thank you very much for this suggestion... I was able to play MW and Destiny 2 for about 2 hours without a crash. Though at 1440p there is noticable drop in frames at higher settings. So I'm guessing the next step is to tweak the power settings to gain a little more performance before RMA? or just RMA?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/27 10:09:52 (permalink)
    RedCuba

looks like RMA Time

Could be a part on the PCB .. but

If you like to work on your cards ... removing cooler ... You are allowed to replace the TIM & thermal pads on a EVGA GPU and Not Void your warranty --> unless you cause physical damage tot he card

I'm guessing your Temps go much higher when you run over 80% power

RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/28 09:14:51 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    looks like RMA Time

Could be a part on the PCB .. but

If you like to work on your cards ... removing cooler ... You are allowed to replace the TIM & thermal pads on a EVGA GPU and Not Void your warranty --> unless you cause physical damage tot he card

I'm guessing your Temps go much higher when you run over 80% power

Thank you for confirming the info about not voiding the warranty. I had originally considered doing as you suggested with the cooler. I purchased a large tube of Noctua NT-H2 for the purpose of cleaning up and replacing the TIM.

I also found a tear-down video: search 'EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid Tear-Down' on youtube
    Dissassembly looks straight forward. @9:10 it shows the TIM layer between the VRM plate and GPU cooler.

I know that thermal compound can dry up and need replacement, but do thermal pads wear out too? What would that look like? Dry and brittle? Discoloration?

But if this was truly an issue with overheating, wouldn't at least one of the ICX sensors indicate dangerous values? Even when the card is running at factory clock speeds, I don't think I have seen any of the sensors hit more than 60c. Also, the Time Spy crashing @3440 happens very rapidly, and from a cold GPU state. There isn't much time for the components to heat up significantly.

I have contacted EVGA and begun the RMA process.

post edited by RedCuba - 2020/05/28 09:17:01
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/28 12:13:42 (permalink)
    My personal experience with CoD Warzone - it doesn't like unstable CPU OCs at all. I didn't even know that my 10940X was unstable (stress tests seemed fine), but come to find out the mesh OC was causing Warzone to randomly hard lock my PC (all other games were fine). I finally figured that out after hours of testing stock settings then one OC setting at a time, to find that setting the mesh back to auto was required for total stability (even a 30X mesh wasn't stable). After all that I got my 4.7GHz OC back working rock solid (mesh at auto) while simultaneously increasing my synthetic benchmarks scores.
    post edited by arestavo - 2020/05/28 12:18:56
    RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/28 13:40:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input, arestavo.

Welp, I couldn't let it go. I just couldn't return the card without taking a look at the thermal paste. Pictures are attached.

The TIM seems to be making reduced contact; maybe a bit dry as well. I will clean and reinstall tomorrow.
    post edited by RedCuba - 2020/05/28 21:00:10

Attached Image(s)

RedCuba
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/29 17:09:03 (permalink)
    Good news here! The issue was almost certainly the thermal paste!

I cleaned the block and die with 99% isopropyl. A soft toothbrush helped with the excess paste around the die. I applied a dab of Noctua NT-H2 to the GPU, and used the edge of a credit card to pre-smooth it into a flat surface.

So far, Time Spy@3440 has completed 1 pass at stock factory settings, and 1 pass with max set for fan, volts, and power target(128%).

CoD-Warzone@3440 runs great now with not so much as a hiccup, and I am not throttling the card at all.

I will continue to test throughout the weekend before I cancel my RMA, but so far I believe it is performing as intended!

Thanks again, Cool GTX, for the advice to remove the cooler!

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/29 20:02:26 (permalink)
    Nice. šŸ‘
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid unstable under high load, temperature. Games crash to desktop 2020/05/29 20:28:41 (permalink)
    RedCuba
    Good news here! The issue was almost certainly the thermal paste!

I cleaned the block and die with 99% isopropyl. A soft toothbrush helped with the excess paste around the die. I applied a dab of Noctua NT-H2 to the GPU, and used the edge of a credit card to pre-smooth it into a flat surface.

So far, Time Spy@3440 has completed 1 pass at stock factory settings, and 1 pass with max set for fan, volts, and power target(128%).

CoD-Warzone@3440 runs great now with not so much as a hiccup, and I am not throttling the card at all.

I will continue to test throughout the weekend before I cancel my RMA, but so far I believe it is performing as intended!

Thanks again, Cool GTX, for the advice to remove the cooler!

Happy I could Help ... keep on testing, just to make sure

2000MHz on the GPU @ +0 .. is Great & well past the factory OC claim

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile