EVGA

GTX 970 - Please power down and connect PCIe cables

Author
drwbns
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/24 08:33:32 (permalink)
Hello everyone. I have had this card for about 4 or 5 years now and I remember it randomly gave me this message a few times. I let a family member borrow the computer for the last couple of years but I set them up to use the onboard video instead of the 970. They had me come pick it up recently because it is no longer working(this was due to overheating on the cpu). I got all the dust out of it and cleaned it up really good, but when I plugged in the 970, I got the error message "Please power down and connect PCIe cables...". I have now tried using separate molex to PCIe and Sata to PCIe thinking that maybe one of the  PSU PCIe cables is no good, but I haven't had any luck. The system runs fine with onboard video and the BIOS shows stable 12V(a tad over 12V to be exact). The PSU is a Coolermaster GX 650 Watt which I specifically bought for the 970 when I originally bought the card 5 years ago and it used to run Arma 3 pretty good back then. Any thoughts on how to bring the card back to life or what I should try? Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: GTX 970 - Please power down and connect PCIe cables 2020/05/24 11:08:38 (permalink)
    I have a 9800 GTX that would artifact (mostly), blue screen, and sometimes cough up that error due to solder on the PCB needing reflowed because of cracking somewhere..It still works.

After I narrowed it down to a faulty card, I baked it like this and the 'oven trick' fixed it.

If you bake it, do it with the GPU chip-side up and not down, otherwise larger/heavier surface-mounted components may fall off in the process.

Preheat oven to 200C..Place only the PCB with the GPU side up on a cookie pan..Bake for 10 minutes.

Baking may only fix it for a short time, or a long time, or not at all if there's a component failure.

You should try the card in another compatible PC if you can to see if the problem follows the card.

Good luck.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

madgruyere
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTX 970 - Please power down and connect PCIe cables 2020/05/26 09:41:08 (permalink)
    did you have a multimeter or a spare fan to test 12v from the cables (or from the connectos of the board itself)?
    maybe the pins are dirty or build something that is preventing a good contact. 
    I got something "similar" in a very old radeon card...but discarded the vga (was too old anyway) 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile