EVGA

the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve myster

Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
2020/04/04 06:29:30 (permalink)
the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve mystery

Capturing the COVID-19 Demogorgon (aka spike) in action
April 3, 2020

(excerpt)

The spike of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (shown below) is one particularly appealing target for designing therapeutics to combat the COVID-19 disease. It is actually comprised of three identical proteins arranged in a circle. Many copies of the spike protrude from the surface of the virus, where they wait to encounter a protein on the surface of many human cells, called ACE2. Binding of a spike to ACE2 initiates a series of events that ultimately allow the virus to enter the human cell. Therefore, therapeutics that bind the spike in a manner that blocks its interaction with ACE2 could provide a valuable means to prevent infection.

More interesting Information found:

Twitter Dr Greg Bowman

https://foldingathome.org/author/gbowman/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 06:44:27 (permalink)
Very interesting. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jayrock
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 08:12:39 (permalink)
My dad (who is much more knowledgeable about science than me) has been talking about this "spike" for weeks. I'm experienced with understanding of ACE proteins as they played a big part in some clinical cancer trials. This is awesome that people are learning so fast with the help of all these machines. Thanks for sharing!

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 12:05:11 (permalink)
Thanks for the info. Fascinating stuff. Glad the efforts from the teams are paying dividends.

chrebean1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 749
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 12:21:04 (permalink)
Knowledge gained through protein simulations performed on the greatest distributed computer platform in the world ... US!!! 

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Chaos_21
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 16:42:39 (permalink)
I have my folding rig up, running, and ready for battle.
https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=41135

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
 Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
 Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

MasterMiner
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 713
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 18:44:48 (permalink)
Edit: gonna put “Rachel” to the task - see how she does 👍
post edited by MasterMiner - 2020/04/05 06:29:02

I used to mine. Now I compute.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/04 21:42:04 (permalink)

Good to know.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
ebls7
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 266
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/07 21:15:07 (permalink)
i'm going to help out and join folding
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/08 11:35:11 (permalink)
ebls7
i'm going to help out and join folding

EVGA is Team   111065

Would be happy to have you join us

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 22:05:39 (permalink)
9rince
I dont even think the coronavirus is real.  Has anyone in the forums seen someone with coronavirus?  I think all of this on tv is exaggerated or one giant lie.  I dont watch tv btw.  The govt. is stock piling toilet paper in some govt. warehouse like from movie Indiana Jones.

Im not a tin foil hat person but the coronavirus is being used to cover up something.  Just laugh at me.  If you are in military or govt. this should be like one giant field problem in civilian world with the "coronavirus".  I dont trust the news one bit.  I get picked on all the time by the news.

Really?  If you dont believe it then go to a hospital in a city or area that is thriving with the virus.  But I would highly recommend wearing swim or ski goggles and a mask that seals your nose and mouth.  Not one of those loose ones that pulls air from the sides of the mask as air will travel the path of least resistance.  Or you can youtube hart island and see the mass grave for NY coronavirus victims.  Either way there is no cover up except for the delayed response to close the borders from this pandemic as there were many that knew there would be a coronavirus pandemic sooner or later.  One example is Conan O'Brien's father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04ddtW9Kd4
I studied at Rutgers University in the environmental sciences and I was educated specifically on what to expect from a coronavirus pandemic that was likely to come some day, and this was about 8 years ago.

post edited by boylerya - 2020/04/16 22:08:10

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11094
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 22:59:08 (permalink)

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

boylerya
FTW Member
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 23:00:09 (permalink)
If "all of this crap on tv is exaggerated and made up" and your conversation with various governments "makes the news for the topics or headlines," then you are declaring your own conversations as being exaggerated and made up since they make the news which is exaggerated and made up.

Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
boylerya
FTW Member
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 23:13:28 (permalink)
You dont have to be psychic to know that those in power would never allow their economies to collapse over a fake virus that a large number of people are actually dead from.  A very widespread issue that is quite easy to confirm.  Begone charlatan, I advise you to not do drugs and troll the forums as it is not befitting.

Chaos_21
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 23:14:22 (permalink)
This thread is actually informative, and most people care about themselves and others,
so come on guys, don't ruin it with a bunch of nonsense. 

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
 Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
 Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/16 23:50:25 (permalink)
9rince
I dont even think the coronavirus is real.  Has anyone in the forums seen someone with coronavirus?  I think all of this on tv is exaggerated or one giant lie.  I dont watch tv btw.  The govt. is stock piling toilet paper in some govt. warehouse like from movie Indiana Jones.

Im not a tin foil hat person but the coronavirus is being used to cover up something.  Just laugh at me.  If you are in military or govt. this should be like one giant field problem in civilian world with the "coronavirus".  I dont trust the news one bit.  I get picked on all the time by the news.

You are definitely a tin foil hat wearing person.

My co-workers dad just died after contracting COVID-19. My cousin nearly died, but she's past any point of danger now.

My friends co-workers family has lost 2 people to it as well.

How about you do your part in preventing and stop bringing up all these conspiracy theories like the rest of the nut jobs?

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

boylerya
FTW Member
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 00:03:05 (permalink)
Chaos_21
This thread is actually informative, and most people care about themselves and others,

I agree, however I am skeptical that the current effort that folding provides will be fruitful to fighting COVID-19 as it wont be around much longer to the degree we are currently experiencing, and relatively non-existent by the end of the year.  But it will arise again many years in the future as a mutated form that a COVID-19 vaccine will not work for and although the therapeutics may or may not work to some degree, the shut downs and overall scene we are experiencing will still occur unless proper preventative measures are quickly implemented and widely practiced.  Then if that fails there needs to be better availability of protective gear made available to everyone.  The best strategy I can think of would be to use folding to possibly find the various mutations this virus can achieve and acquire theoretical or actual vaccines and therapeutics for every one of those mutations to be capable of a much faster solution the moment a new mutation of coronavirus is captured and determined to be on the rise.

*Edit* If not the coronavirus, then some other virus will become a threat inevitably sometime in the future.  Better to have excellent pandemic response than anything else.
post edited by boylerya - 2020/04/17 00:06:53

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 02:27:58 (permalink)
boylerya
Chaos_21

I agree, however I am skeptical that the current effort that folding provides will be fruitful to fighting COVID-19 as it wont be around much longer to the degree we are currently experiencing, and relatively non-existent by the end of the year.  But it will arise again many years in the future as a mutated form that a COVID-19 vaccine will not work for and although the therapeutics may or may not work to some degree, the shut downs and overall scene we are experiencing will still occur unless proper preventative measures are quickly implemented and widely practiced.  Then if that fails there needs to be better availability of protective gear made available to everyone.  The best strategy I can think of would be to use folding to possibly find the various mutations this virus can achieve and acquire theoretical or actual vaccines and therapeutics for every one of those mutations to be capable of a much faster solution the moment a new mutation of coronavirus is captured and determined to be on the rise.

*Edit* If not the coronavirus, then some other virus will become a threat inevitably sometime in the future.  Better to have excellent pandemic response than anything else.

The virus has shown to handle heat pretty well so it's unlikely to go away in the summer months. As for the vaccine for Covid-19 we already have heard of people having a second case of Covid-19 to a lesser degree. If that is the case we could be looking at something that our bodies are not building up a lasting immunity to.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

boylerya
FTW Member
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 03:05:23 (permalink)
Hoggle
boylerya
Chaos_21

The virus has shown to handle heat pretty well so it's unlikely to go away in the summer months. As for the vaccine for Covid-19 we already have heard of people having a second case of Covid-19 to a lesser degree. If that is the case we could be looking at something that our bodies are not building up a lasting immunity to.

Yes, and those that have a second case take twice as long as their first case to show symptoms.  However my supportive information would result in yet another locked thread.  If there were a way to secure a bet for an RTX2080Ti for what I've said I would take it in a heart beat tho.  We will have to wait and see.  But WA state is a good example of a state that has passed the worst of it.

boylerya
FTW Member
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 03:39:26 (permalink)
Im not going to go into technical aspects of comparing the two, but both COVID-19 and SARS originated in China in early November.  COVID-19 is a mutated version of SARS that is worse.  SARS was mostly at an end by early July.  I expect the same for COVID-19, but I think it might hold out about a couple months longer with an overall downward trend before the end of May.  Then it will linger in some areas to potentially the end of the year. 
post edited by boylerya - 2020/04/17 03:51:40

yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4642
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 05:41:52 (permalink)
boylerya

Yes, and those that have a second case take twice as long as their first case to show symptoms.  However my supportive information would result in yet another locked thread.  If there were a way to secure a bet for an RTX2080Ti for what I've said I would take it in a heart beat tho.  We will have to wait and see.  But WA state is a good example of a state that has passed the worst of it

Throw in the bird flu also.
I’ll say it. If the Chinese government doesn’t deal with the places where these things originate, once and for all, And stop kowtowing to the wealthy, then history will repeat itself over and over. Each time with a more robust virus. The vast majority of the Chinese people are against these markets anyway.
Thanks boylerya, for your educated and informative posts.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 10:56:03 (permalink)
temp lock for Review

Unlocking

my bad, thought I hit the Unlock oops
post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/04/17 17:06:45

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: the SARS-CoV-2 virus & possible targets for Therapeutics -- Foldig@Home helps solve my 2020/04/17 18:59:34 (permalink)
New Simulations to Search for COVID-19 Treatment via Repurposing Existing NTP Analog Drugs that Target Viral RNA Replication
April 13, 2020
by Xuhui Huang

(excerpt)

The Huang lab from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology has released a series of Folding@Home projects to simulate the nsp12 and nsp14 complex.  We will screen existing FDA-approved NTP analog drugs. We aim to repurpose drugs that can inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile