U.S. prepares crackdown on Huawei's global chip supply

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102250
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/03/30 03:58:00 (permalink)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-huawei-tech-chips-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-prepares-crackdown-on-huaweis-global-chip-supply-sources-idUSKBN21D2E4?il=

The U.S. government announced advanced measures that make it harder for foreign companies, such as Taiwan's TSMC, to supply chips to Chinese telecom hardware giant Huawei. Foreign companies that use American chipmaking equipment, are required to obtain a license from the U.S. before supplying certain chips to Huawei. Sources comment that the new rule was tailor-made to curb TSMC fabricating smartphone SoCs for Huawei's HiSilicon subsidiary.

Mainland Chinese semiconductor companies are still behind Samsung and TSMC in 7 nm-class fab technologies, forcing HiSilicon to source from the latter. 7 nm fabrication is a key requirement for SoCs and modem chips capable of 5G. The high data transceiving rates of 5G requires a certain amount of compute power that can fit into smartphone-level power-envelopes only with the help of 7 nm, at least for premium smartphone form-factors. Same applies to 5G infrastructure equipment. This is hence perceived as a means for the U.S. to clamp brakes on Huawei's plans of playing a big role in 5G tech rollouts around the world, buying western 5G tech suppliers such as Nokia time to catch up. Huawei has been a flashpoint for a bitter political spat between the U.S. and China, with the Chinese press even threatening that the matter could hamper medical supplies to the U.S. to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

Personally I don't understand this type of regulation because China chipmakers are already close to 7nm production anyway. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: U.S. prepares crackdown on Huawei's global chip supply 2020/03/30 04:46:31 (permalink)
    It's the U.S. Government so of course they don't know that China is close to 7nm making it a moot point. It's the kind of thing that starts off and they keep people working on the project long after it's worth perusing. I also think China probably knows how long it takes the government to crackdown and uses that as an advantage.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: U.S. prepares crackdown on Huawei's global chip supply 2020/03/30 09:37:05 (permalink)
    here we go again

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: U.S. prepares crackdown on Huawei's global chip supply 2020/03/31 10:13:51 (permalink)
    Agree with Hoggle. Those horses have left the barn.

It wouldn’t surprise me if TSMC ignored the order an shipped chips anyway.

Who else does Applied Materials and LAM ship to? TSMC is, by multiple times, the largest fab in the world. If they (AM and LAM) cannot ship to TSMC they’re out of business. Intel buys 10% of what TSMC buys.

Absolute insanity.

Accept the fact that Huawei exists and isn’t going anywhere. The boundaries of American power are collapsing exponentially. This only accelerates things.

Edit: Yes, Taiwan is a “protectorate”. But they can see the writing on the wall. They do far more business with China than America. They know full well what the future holds.

Edit 2: ASML, a Dutch company, which makes the most advanced photo lithography equipment (EUV) capable of true 7 and 5 nm chip manufacturing will absolutely continue to supply TSMC. This just clears the deck for Europe. I can promise you Samsung, Siemens, Fujitsu - they all will supply TSMC as America falls behind. Our chips suddenly become second rate.

Don’t believe me? Compare Intel chips with Apple chips and Samsung chips produced at TSMC and Samsung foundries.

This is tech suicide.
    post edited by MasterMiner - 2020/03/31 11:27:58

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: U.S. prepares crackdown on Huawei's global chip supply 2020/03/31 14:04:43 (permalink)
    I think there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile