EVGA

Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers

Author
Vivicector
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/03/26 04:53:01 (permalink)
I have a trouble with the Nu Audio, it's rear channel and microphone are affected by the EM and/or power fluctuations from the video card. I can't move the modules to other slots since the most further out slots are old PCI. Also, probably even returning the card back and getting another won't help, other cards may have similar issue.
I have tried isolating the backplates, but of no help.

So, there are PCI-E risers, commonly used in mining. If I will get a pair and put the sound card away from the video card (and may be PC box), will it help the cause? Will the Nu Audio even work this way? Or will it create even more distortion due to long unshielded cable?
P.S. Any other ideas?
P.P.S. Changing the video is not an option...
post edited by Vivicector - 2020/03/26 05:21:41

5 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers 2020/03/26 10:28:47 (permalink)
    Honestly, these sorts of issues are hard to troubleshoot, short of replacing a bunch of components.  Sometimes you might get lucky after moving a few things around.  However, I can give you some feedback from personal experience.

I was used to running the original NU Audio card between my SLI graphics cards, but the watercooling fittings were a bit too low to allow the height of the NU Audio Pro to set there.  I tested a USB riser cable (PCIe x1 -> USB3.0 -> PCIe x16 slot powered with a 4pin Molex), which I've used with a couple other audio cards in the past.  Results were less than...expected.  I didn't get extra noise, but ran into some serious latency issues; some would occur after going to sleep, while others would start after opening enough browser tabs.  Also, game performance dropped significantly and it seemed like games ran extremely choppy - a hallmark of some really bad latency.

Side note - It is entirely possible that there were a couple different driver issues going on, as my latency was caused by either the Audio drivers or the default Storport drivers from Microsoft (I have several RAIDs and over a dozen HDDs/SSDs).  This could have been caused by moving around power connectors, which were needed to power the PCIe riser slot and HDDs, or moving the Audio card to different PCIe slots.  This persisted after I swapped over to the riser I'll mention in a second.  Ultimately, it took uninstalling/reinstalling the NU Audio Pro drivers, NVIDIA GeForce drivers, Intel Chipset drivers, and uninstalling the IRST drivers and installing the new Intel Optane and Storage Management software via Windows Store.  After that, everything worked fine and I've not run into an audio issue since.

I got one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMQZ1HP/, and it both works and works well.  If you want to give a riser a shot, go for it.  I would only expect issues to still occur if the electrical noise is being passed through the motherboard.  I'm not sure a riser would help block that.
    Vivicector
    Re: Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers 2020/03/28 03:10:47 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Honestly, these sorts of issues are hard to troubleshoot, short of replacing a bunch of components.  Sometimes you might get lucky after moving a few things around.  However, I can give you some feedback from personal experience.

Thanks for the info! 
    First of all, I want to try moving the additional block to some better place. AFAIK, its only using PCI-E for power. Too bad there are no PCI to PCI-E adaptors (only the other way around). However, if I only need power, may be I can try a riser like this: https://static.nix.ru/autocatalog/riser_cards/337682_2254_draft.jpg
    WIth external SATA power and use it without even connecting it to PCI-E at all. Donno if the riser will work for power transmitting without PCI-E connection though... 

P.S. Any idea why only the rear channel and mic channel gets the noise, while others are perfectly fine?
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers 2020/03/31 11:49:00 (permalink)
    Without a large sample size to test, of course, I'd try to stay away from USB connected riser cards (too many USB buses in a row, possibly).  Then again, it's possible that this had nothing to do with my issues I mentioned above.

I'll run the noise issue by our friends in Audio Note to see if there's any commonality between those two ports.  Unlikely, since one's at the top of the card, and one's at the bottom of the card.
    Vivicector
    Re: Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers 2020/03/31 11:54:27 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    Without a large sample size to test, of course, I'd try to stay away from USB connected riser cards (too many USB buses in a row, possibly).  Then again, it's possible that this had nothing to do with my issues I mentioned above.

I'll run the noise issue by our friends in Audio Note to see if there's any commonality between those two ports.  Unlikely, since one's at the top of the card, and one's at the bottom of the card.

Thanks. Can't make any tests now since there's a quarantine in my city now. Will post the results when I can.
    It would be nice if there'll be any idea why its the rear channel and mic problem only.
    Vivicector
    Re: Connecting Nu Audio Pro via risers 2020/05/28 11:16:19 (permalink)
    Hey, I have finally run the tests. I can now say that my electric noise problem is an issue with the Ground loop. However, riser cards are also perfectly fine you you have no free PCI-E for additional Pro card or its placement is bad.
    I have connected the riser to 6pin power only, I have NOT used the PCI-E slot and the PCI-E to USB card for the riser. This way, the Pro card (the 2nd one in the pack, used for surround only) is connected by the special DP cable to the main card and is connected to riser card for power only (no data connections). It works like a charm. If you need space for placement - feel free to use.

It did nothing for the noise issue, so, its not about PCI-E power noise, I can be sure. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile