EVGA

Helpful ReplyI'm seeing some WU

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
slurm1
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 12:52:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2020/03/25 13:36:26
If FaH servers "report having WU" does this Also include WU that have been "assigned" & "Not Yet Returned to FaH" ?

@Cool GTX, per https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32484&p=313151&hilit=assign+rate#p313151

- For the jobs, is there any way to see how many are currently-assigned-out, and how many are not-yet-assigned? This would be helpful especially in times of outages.
The jobs displayed are the one available for assignment. Assigned ones are not displayed.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 13:37:07 (permalink)
@ slurm1
Thanks for the link

Server Status - What it means

it has some good information

Still does Not answer the Question:  Why are my slots sent to Servers that do not assign WU ... even though they show they have WU ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 13:39:58 (permalink)
LMAO!!!
Been wondering where my points were going for the last day. I did a Linux mint full update over the weekend and wasn't able to get that pesky openCL error to stop so I reinstalled F@H too and that openCL error was still there. Then I played around with the settings and both cards picked up WU's right away and all rigs have been rocking out without any downtime longer than 10 minutes But,,,,
I just wasn't seeing the point production that I should have on EOC. Comes down to this, I missed the shift key lol
https://folding.extremeov...ry.php?s=&u=937560

STR1D3R-2 vs STR1D3R_2
         - _

post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2020/03/25 14:57:52

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
slurm1
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 18:33:51 (permalink)
@Cool GTX, below doesn't answer your question, but interesting insight in how the Assignment Servers work:

Re: Assign WUs preferentially to preferred GPU

by bruce » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:13 pm
There are two possibiles:
I think FAHClient looks at your idle slot(s) and requests a WU for a specific hardware configuration. Then it probably moves on to another idle slot. I could be wrong about that, but if I'm right it will take a new Client release which won't happen any time soon.

When the Work Servers reach their individual bandwidth limit, they (briefly?) inform the Assignment Servers that they can't deliver any new WUs. The AS looks at the list of WS that report that they have WUs that match your Config and if none are avilable, you get that message. If you're seeking a GPU WU and the WS finds it can't find a functioning WS which has them there's no question of prioirty. Once it does find a server with GPU WUs, it does check your GPUSpecies but it's only dealing with the question about whether to give you a WU or not. If you're the guy with the GTX670, it's not going to say "Sorry, No_Assign" just because it thinks a RTX 2060 might come along a little later and ask for that same WU and it's the last one it has.

BTW, a GTX670 folding at 99% can be as fast as a RTX working at 55%. A project containing a small protein, can't effectively use an excessively large number of shaders so throughput can go down on "faster" GPUs. The same is true for CPU WUs. If science needs us to analyze small proteins, they can make good use of even a few threads as opposed to allocating a huge number of threads.

The AS/WS code does try to tune the overall performance of FAH by allocating proteins based on their size as well as available resources.
gohack
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 19:56:06 (permalink)
How is it that some people are getting loads of work, while the rest of us have to either manually pause, or do a reboot, in order to get maybe any work?

See the attached image.

post edited by gohack - 2020/03/25 20:55:38

Attached Image(s)

- Dell Inspiron 5676 Desktop; AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU; (2x) Dell GTX 1070 Video Cards; 32 GB DDR4, 500 GB Samsung 970 Plus M.2 SSD; OEM 850 Watt Power Supply; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 

- Alienware Aurora R8 Desktop; Liquid Cooled Intel i9-9900K CPU; (2x) EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra Video Cards; 32 GB DDR4; 500 GB Samsung 970 Plus M.2 SSD; EVGA 850 Watt Power Supply; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 21:06:40 (permalink)
gohack
How is it that some people are getting loads of work, while the rest of us have to either manually pause, or do a reboot, in order to get maybe any work?

That Sir, is the Million dollar question ..................

I have no Idea

I've Folded over 3500 WU & 500 Million Points - Per Month, on only 10 GPU - the last 3 months & this month ..... is "special"

All I can say is when I started a PC after Win 10 was installed ... I (default) reinstalled Folding @ Home ... BANG.. on startup it grabbed (3) WU 1 for Each GPU & the CPU .... the first moment the PC started ????  So with Anonymous & the default Team & NO passkey ...... WU the instant the PC started

Of course I paused it ... Add Team EVGA 111065 & my User Handle & Passkey ... removed the CPU .... and on Restart Got - FUDGE .... only 1 of the 2 GPU got a WU after a few minutes & the second one just sat for Over an Hour  --> Collection Server 0.0.0.0   

It seems FaH ... does give WU to Anonymous / no passkey or User name .... MUCH faster ..... Why - I have no idea

I am So Tired of  Server 40.114.52.201 Holding my slots Hostage  with Collection Server 0.0.0.0 & no WU

FaH needs to step-up and FIX their Code .... this is unbelievably Poor

It is simple ... fix the server Code / Hand-off to another server After 3 tries ... Only send people to Servers that have Work to give

I am Folding with No Client specified (default) ...... How the @#$% ... Can the Server show they have Work & yet I get errors & Not WU ????

Attached Image(s)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/25 21:10:43 (permalink)
Not seeing your image yet gohack.
I have no idea why I started seeing a steady flow but I did pause crunching when I noticed a lot of Rosetta WU's were stuck trying to send also. Since then and a reboot of everything and it has been steady, possibly unrelated. May have a better ping to the servers?? Perhaps cooler cards, these looong wu's put out some heat so my windows are open and cards average 58-62C.
I feel fortunate this past 24 hrs.

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: I'm seeing some WU 2020/03/26 14:36:42 (permalink)
It's quite a complicated problem. There are 2 heavy iron AS servers that respond to client requests and direct them to the actual server with work. This process sounds more manual than automated. But ultimately the work server just gets overloaded with requests and can't service them all. The clients don't know this and leave stupidly worded log entries on our machines.
Hopefully they can add more actual servers to spread the distribution load. Look at the errors on the main AS servers. Those are the errors associated with saturated cpu/io that can't consistently distribute the work.

It sucks that F@H couldn't scale with the influx of volunteers, but for years they didn't have to and their code reflects that. But the type of programming and network chops needed to solve this don't come easy or cheaply. Maybe some of the google experts will have some free time to help out but there is no easy solution to this problem other than to further distribute the load to more servers. That's why Linus and Oracle helping out with massive servers should help, but it does take time.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile