EVGA

z390 dark; video card only at 8x pcie (tried 2 cards)

Author
micfogas
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/05 23:57:58 (permalink)
Hello,

I plan to give eVGA. support a call in the morning some time but figured I would post this here in case anyone had any tips overnight, or to at least follow up with the resolution from eVGA after speaking with them.

Here's the scenario. Brand new system. eVGA Z390 DARK, Intel i9 9900kf, 2x 16gb g.skill tridentZ royal 3600, 1TB sata HDD, 250mb SATA SSD, eVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC GAMING gfx card (also tried my old eVGA GTX 660 FTW SIG2), m.2 nvme 500gb (tried in pm1 and pm2, also with card removed). 850w GAMEMAX gold+ RGB PSU, Silverstone PF240 AIO cooler, 2x200mm/5x120mm/1x140mm fans, cooler master MasterCase MCM-H500M case. both video cards were used in my old Asus rog Maximus v formula and verified working at 16x pcie 3.0.

First boot, cleared CMOS, enter BIOS, BIOS shows PCIE bus with a GEN3 at 8x. Booted into windows (plan to do clean install later but just booted to my previous install on the 250gb SSD), downloaded latest firmware. before flashing, ran GPU-Z, confirmed card bus is 16x 3.0 capable, running at 8x. did the render test just to be sure which only bumped it up from the idle gen 1.1 to gen 3.0, no changed in lane usage.

Performed the firmware update (did not verify previous installed version, may have been 1.06, but updated to 1.07). after rebooting, cleared the CMOS again. entered BIOS. card still shows gen3 8x. I had the m.2 card installed in PM1 at that time, so I tried it in PM2, and then without the m.2 installed, same results. I pulled out my old eVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 FTW SIG2 and put it in. 8x gen3. the only settings I know of in the BIOS for gfx card are to force gen1, gen2, gen3, or auto, and to disable/enable built in video (I set to disable, I have the kf which doesn't include the iGPU anyways, as I never intend to use it and the 9900's are varying hugely in price right now, and availability).

I haven't tried disabling or changing any of the pcie dipswitches, I'm not sure this would have any effect anyways. I did try disabling the m.2 under onboard peripherals. I do have the full power connectors hooked up (24pin+8pin+8pin on CPU, 8pin+6pin on rtx, 6pin on GTX). utilizing 2 Intel sata ports, USB 3.1 gen1 header, USB 3.1 gen 2 header, hd audio header, one USB 2.0 header (connects to the CM ARGB header), multiple fan headers. some of this info is useless for this issue but being all-inclusive as possible.

Any advice here? I'm really hoping it's not an issue requiring RMA/exchanging the board. Cable management in the MCM-H500M with as many fans as I'm running, was not enjoyable by any means 😂 but at this point, given that both tested video cards run at 16x pcie 3.0 on my old ROG board, I'm not using any pcie cards, tried without the m.2, yes I'm using the top pcie 16x slot, bios flash and cmos clear, I'm not sure what it could be. unless there's a firmware update for the RTX that's needed (the GTX is detected as a legacy card and am informed that CMS has been turned on, when that card was installed, I know it's old). but maybe there's a dipswitch setting, bios setting, or flux capacitor that I forgot to connect.

will follow up this thread with response from eVGA after speaking to them, as well.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102311
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: z390 dark; video card only at 8x pcie (tried 2 cards) 2020/03/05 23:59:00 (permalink)
    Your post was held up accidentally by the forum filter and this is now resolved

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

chinobino.
    • Total Posts : 42
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: z390 dark; video card only at 8x pcie (tried 2 cards) 2020/03/07 22:29:58 (permalink)
    I take it you are using the top PCIe slot (PE1)? The second slot (PE2) only has 8 lanes.

If so it sounds like the PCIe slot on the motherboard may be faulty.

Check the PCIe slot for any dirt/dust/debris and you might also want to consider checking the CPU socket for any bent/damaged pins.

If you have another PSU it might be worth trying it as well.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile