EVGA

Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/02/24 23:02:09 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/264183/microsoft-confirms-xbox-series-x-specs-12-tflops-custom-apu-with-zen-2-rdna-2-h-w-accelerated-raytracing

Microsoft has confirmed the official specs for the Xbox Series X games console, due Holiday 2020 (think November). The new specs announcement confirms the powerhouse of a console this will be, with its peak 12 TFLOPs compute being 8 times that of the original Xbox One, and twice that of the Xbox One X, which already quite capable of powering true 4K experiences. This 12 TFLOPs figure is a mighty impressive one - just consider that AMD's current highest-performance graphics card, Radeon VII, features a peak 13.4 TFLOPs of computing power - and that's a graphics card that was launched just a year ago.

The confirmation also mentions support for Hardware-Accelerated raytracing, something that all but confirms the feature being built into AMD's RDNA 2 microarchitecture (of which we are expecting news anytime now). this, alongside Variable Rate Shading (VRS) support, brings AMD to feature parity with NVIDIA's Turing, and should allow developers to optimize their performance and graphical targets without any discernible quality loss.

Features of XBOX Series X:
  • Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD's latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance - twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
  • Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing - a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
  • SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that - fast.
  • Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
  • Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We're optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
  • HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We've partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display's refresh rate to the game's frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
  • 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.
This is one going to be one outstanding gaming console in my opinion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/02/25 08:37:22 (permalink)
    Nice specs .... price is still undetermined

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/02/25 10:26:59 (permalink)
    Is these are the specs of the console i can't imagine the High end GPUs specs😮

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    flasher4q
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1778
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/02/25 14:53:43 (permalink)
    I can't believe it first time I might look into these console's .

Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming
    Ryzen7 5800x
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 Gig 3600
    Samsung 1T 980 PRO PCIe 4.0
    Samsung 500Gig 970 Evo PCIe 3.0
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Thermaltake Pump/Res combo
    Primochill 2 120x2 Radiators
    Bitspower G1/4" Premium master fittings
    Corsair RM 850x
    CoolerMaster H500P Case
    EK-Quantum Velocity D CPU cooler
    Bose Companion2 Speakers

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/02/25 21:31:14 (permalink)
    flasher4q
    I can't believe it first time I might look into these console's .

Yep...... Time for a new TV as well.
    vegajf51
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 561
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/03/19 03:10:47 (permalink)

Disclaimer (This is 100% speculation on my part, I know nothing of consoles)
    By just looking at the specs would appear to equal in PC performance=

CPU: R7 3700x/i9 9900...... slightly lower clocks
    Memory: 16GB GDDR6
    GPU:: RTX 2080 Super.... specs would put it around this range, but this depends also on RDNA 2 which is supposed to be really efficient, being a console that is highly optimized could possibly get 2080ti performance out of it, which sounds wonderful now but 4 years down the road probably won't be that impressive.
    Storage:: 1 TB PCI-E Gen 4 SSD... this is great.

post edited by vegajf51 - 2020/03/19 03:16:14
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/03/19 06:44:53 (permalink)

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/03/19 08:28:22 (permalink)
    Really like seeing the specs on console because I feel consoles always hold back games especially as the console gets near end of life. The amount of power the next generation will have should really change gaming and I feel will be the end of console exclusives. As the prices has increased to make a game we now are seeing both Sony and Microsoft do PC releases for games they used to say are console exclusives. This makes owning a PC the best option since the "exclusives" for Sony and Microsoft will both play on the PC.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2020/03/19 08:30:52

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/03/19 08:47:14 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b

never ending war

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

tdkid1
    • Total Posts : 81
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Microsoft Confirms Xbox Series X Specs - 12 TFLOPs, Custom APU With Zen 2, RDNA 2 2020/03/19 14:37:27 (permalink)
    its good to hear xbox is bringing back the removable storage. the 360 had a removeable hard drive which did allow for swapping in case one got full or went bad. this will allow you to only have to spend money on replacing the storage device and not the whole system like you would have to do for the PlayStation or xbox one.

a good teacher will not give you the answer you seek, they will help you learn as to why you had that problem and will guide you to the solution that works for it so you can pass the knowledge on.

Associate Code: RJVGCE38ZNYRH45

Rewards Program Code is: ISWBJCPO8X
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile