Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations

Author
JCnSD
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/10 04:53:22 (permalink)
Hey guys

What are the recommended weight limits of cpu coolers for the z390 FTW E-ATX, z390 dark E-ATX, x299 FTW E-ATX and x299 dark E-ATX motherboards? I plan on building a high end gaming pc with one of these motherboards in a corsair 1000d case with a noctua cpu cooler. Some of the noctua cpu coolers are mind boggling heavy (such as the noctua nh-d15 which weighs nearly 1.5kg). I am concerned it might break the motherboard as I plan on keeping for a long time. I previously had a high end alienware gaming laptop which I kept for 6 years and it served me well but it died recently. Now I want a high end gaming desktop pc. I don't want to water cool my cpu cause I don't like the idea of water in my case. I also am planning on overclocking at some point in the future.

Cheers.

9 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/10 14:28:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good question to ask evga support... https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/11 09:15:09 (permalink)
    Get a case that holds the MB horizontal, should make all that weight safer.

Regardless of the Max weight EVGA designs the MB to support - be very careful if you ever move the PC

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JCnSD
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/11 15:31:10 (permalink)
    Are there any pc cases that can:

1. Hold an E-ATX motherboard in the horizontal position?
    2. Provide good cable management? (Such as dual chamber design)
    3. Have enough room for a CPU cooler such as the noctua nh-d15?
    4. Provide good airflow for high performance? ( Such as a decent amount of intake and exhaust fans that push and pull a fair bit of air).

Cheers :). 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/12 16:36:14 (permalink)
    JCnSD
    Are there any pc cases that can:

1. Hold an E-ATX motherboard in the horizontal position?
    2. Provide good cable management? (Such as dual chamber design)
    3. Have enough room for a CPU cooler such as the noctua nh-d15?
    4. Provide good airflow for high performance? ( Such as a decent amount of intake and exhaust fans that push and pull a fair bit of air).

Cheers :). 

Sounds like you need to stop and rethink your entire build. I'd start with telling us what you plan to do with it and your expectations. As a start. We are not mind readers. And you're asking for folks to do a  lot you should do yourself. My own personal opinion is there is no good reason to use a giant air cooler in a new build. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JCnSD
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/13 06:09:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for reply hemi
    If you haven't read my first reply it will answer your question. I don't need to stop and rethink as this is the purpose of this post and I am doing a lot of research so I don't need you to do any heavy lifting for me. I am looking at types of pc builds I would like in my next build. These questions are based on what I have found so far and getting more info about it. My question to you is why not use a giant air cooler in a new build?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/13 13:38:05 (permalink)
    JCnSD
    Thanks for reply hemi
    If you haven't read my first reply it will answer your question. I don't need to stop and rethink as this is the purpose of this post and I am doing a lot of research so I don't need you to do any heavy lifting for me. I am looking at types of pc builds I would like in my next build. These questions are based on what I have found so far and getting more info about it. My question to you is why not use a giant air cooler in a new build?

Hmm... I read your posts. You're asking us to do all your research for you. From motherboard to case. As to using a giant air cooler, it dumps all the heat from the CPU into the case which you have to remove. It also causes your case interior ambient temps to be a lot higher which causes higher temps for everything in your system. Whereas with using an AIO, ALL of the heat from the CPU is exhausted out of the case. The same with using an AIO for the GPU as exhaust. Then all you're left with is ensuring you have good intake flow for cool air for the AIOs. Very simple. IF you are planning on building HIGH END, why would you go low end air cooling?
    The fear of water damage is overstated. I've been using AIO for nearly a decade and have never had a leak. I've had a pump fail, however zero leaks. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JCnSD
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/13 21:12:48 (permalink)
    I have done a lot of research and am not going to write an assignment on it will tell you if needed the whole purpose here is to discuss. If you want to know ask and will see if I have time for you. Why is noctua low end???? Do you have any evidence to support your opinion????? Some sites tested noctuas air cpu coolers and it beats a lot of water cooled cpus in some cases custom ones too. If you want to know some of the sites that did it, have a look at the good tech sites (You should know cause you seem to be tech savy) . If you are going to give me evidence please give me evidence of the pros and cons from both sides not just your opinion.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/15 23:55:29 (permalink)
    JCnSD
    I have done a lot of research and am not going to write an assignment on it will tell you if needed the whole purpose here is to discuss. If you want to know ask and will see if I have time for you. Why is noctua low end???? Do you have any evidence to support your opinion????? Some sites tested noctuas air cpu coolers and it beats a lot of water cooled cpus in some cases custom ones too. If you want to know some of the sites that did it, have a look at the good tech sites (You should know cause you seem to be tech savy) . If you are going to give me evidence please give me evidence of the pros and cons from both sides not just your opinion.

You are here asking for opinions and help. When offered all you do is argue. I explained my reasoning. Apparently you can't defend your choices to dump all that heat into your case. A bad idea IN MY OPNION, which  you are asking for. If you want facts from ARTICLES, you claim to have already researched them all. Well, then you do not need us since you know it all. See ya.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/02/15 23:58:27

mr_scary
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 426
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Z390FTW, Z390 dark, x299FTW and x299 dark cpu cooler weight limitations 2020/02/24 18:47:37 (permalink)
    you would be surprised at much weight a motherboard can hold,
    and you would also be surprised how much weight a cheap motherboard cannot hold. 

I switched to AIO back in 2010 I believe, the old first gen corsair H50 is still being used daily in an X58 | i7-920 
    My current X99 is using an H110 vanilla type AIO (No RGB/iCue garbage) since 2015. and people are amazed that my temps are so low. 
    Setting at 75.5F Ambient with 30C CPU IDLE temp. 

As for Air Coolers, I used a lot of the old Zalman Solid copper CNPS/9900/9700/9500/etc cpu coolers in many builds. 
    One build in particular I remember it was shaped like a Taco I think it was a G41 or G31 Foxconn board. the PCB was so thin. Even the stock cooler tacoed it. 
    Not due to weight, but installation pressure.

As for the enthusiast boards there were never any signs of tacoing or warping from these large Solid Copper coolers. 

The most recent air cooler I used was a Cooler Master - Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. 
    With an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4. The board looked very thin, So I put it in a Server Chasis to lay flat like mentioned by "HeavyHemi" 
    However this barley fits, as the top pipe ends touch the lid of the 4U Server Case. just barely, but not a problem. 
    And you can see in the photo the cable management is for crap. 

Your choice on the Corsair 1000D is an awesome case as I myself have contemplated getting one, but Hard Drive support is almost non existent which is why I love the 760T 
    However, Like You, I always like the idea of air coolers for the reliability if the mechanics fail it still passively does the job. 
    But I've had no failures on my AIO builds, but had some fans start rattling and vibrating, and were replaced by 5 years warranty coverage.  

I think the EVGA Enthusiast boards should hold the coolers, but I have not any these giant new cheap aluminum coolers. 
    1500 grams is twice what they used to be. I would not use one personally this size is ridiculous.
    Why everyone is going to aluminum to make it cheap, and still charging like it's copper has me boggled. money greed I reckon. 
    Even the liquid cooling is all plastic and aluminum these days. 

Copper For The Win. 

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile