Helpful ReplyX99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing

Author
mr_scary
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 426
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2020/02/23 14:58:13 (permalink)
I was wondering if there are USB issues with X99 as I have been battling this mouse issue for about 3 years or more, over several different mice. 
It's a bit random, and took me this much time to pinpoint the issue. or I think I may have anyway.

So I boot up Windows (Currently 1909 up to date) 
Mouse works fine, feels very smooth and easy to control. 
after a bit, or sometimes when I open a program, maybe Email, or Steam, or anything my mouse cursor feels janky, almost like the DPI was turned up, but more so that the Polling rate has dropped from 1000 to 125. 

The way it get to back to normal is open Logitech G-Hub, or Windows mouse settings, and just toggle settings. what seems to work best is toggling the polling rate to 125, and back to 1000. 
This is only temporary as its back to crap in a few minutes or so.

Over the years I have searched and cannot find anything until recently I find it may be the USB ports.
Have I been dealing with this problem and it's the motherboard all these years? IDK

Any ideas what the problem might be?, as I cannot prove this is the issue.
But I's made me want to just quit the PC completely It is very annoying and unsettling sometimes can't even close a window. or put a cursor into a box, or select text.
Needing to make precise clicks is almost impossible until I do the temporary fix.

Mouse: Any mouse. Logitech G703 Lightspeed. (other mice I've tried G502, G700S, cheap Microsoft, Logitech, and Corsair mice Wired, and Wireless)
Motherboard: EVGA X99 FTW 
Windows 10 1909, and several previous 
EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra 
G-Sync Compatible ON ASUS VG278Q X (2) 144Hz

I've tried different USB ports, Wired, and Wireless, USB3.0 & 2.0 
turned off all RGB and other functions not needed. it does this with any mouse I use. 
I've tried onboard memory, as well as PC

I hope maybe someone has some info on these anomalies 

Thanks for reading.

Attached Image(s)

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/23 15:53:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mr_scary 2020/02/23 23:49:40
mr_scary
I was wondering if there are USB issues with X99 as I have been battling this mouse issue for about 3 years or more, over several different mice. 
It's a bit random, and took me this much time to pinpoint the issue. or I think I may have anyway.

So I boot up Windows (Currently 1909 up to date) 
Mouse works fine, feels very smooth and easy to control. 
after a bit, or sometimes when I open a program, maybe Email, or Steam, or anything my mouse cursor feels janky, almost like the DPI was turned up, but more so that the Polling rate has dropped from 1000 to 125. 

The way it get to back to normal is open Logitech G-Hub, or Windows mouse settings, and just toggle settings. what seems to work best is toggling the polling rate to 125, and back to 1000. 
This is only temporary as its back to crap in a few minutes or so.

Over the years I have searched and cannot find anything until recently I find it may be the USB ports.
Have I been dealing with this problem and it's the motherboard all these years? IDK

Any ideas what the problem might be?, as I cannot prove this is the issue.
But I's made me want to just quit the PC completely It is very annoying and unsettling sometimes can't even close a window. or put a cursor into a box, or select text.
Needing to make precise clicks is almost impossible until I do the temporary fix.

Mouse: Any mouse. Logitech G703 Lightspeed. (other mice I've tried G502, G700S, cheap Microsoft, Logitech, and Corsair mice Wired, and Wireless)
Motherboard: EVGA X99 FTW 
Windows 10 1909, and several previous 
EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra 
G-Sync Compatible ON ASUS VG278Q X (2) 144Hz

I've tried different USB ports, Wired, and Wireless, USB3.0 & 2.0 
turned off all RGB and other functions not needed. it does this with any mouse I use. 
I've tried onboard memory, as well as PC

I hope maybe someone has some info on these anomalies 

Thanks for reading.

Question one: Have you updated your BIOS? The most recent is just a few months ago. 2.08.
https://cdn.evga.com/BIOS../E997_flashtool_208.zip
Have you observed Task Manager while this is is happening to see if there is any unusual activity?
Step one, is to run everything at default clocks including memory. Don't use the XMP profile.
See if this still occurs while running everything at default clocks. Also, a HDD or SSD access issue, with a faulty SATA cable for example, can cause some funky issues like this. Check your smart drive status for your drives.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2020/02/23 15:55:20

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/23 19:23:23 (permalink)
I know i'm not using the latest bios as the newer ones had some serious performance issues. 
My OS drive is on M.2 PCIe, so no cables, but I have had this issue on a SATA 850 PRO as well as hard drives. several OS installs over the years. 

I am running 3200MHZ XMP 32GB ram.  
No overclocks on anything else.

Since I have double BIOS I will will switch over and do BIOS update to 2.08, and set ram to 2133 stock. 

Also to note I have 12 drives hooked up on here I wonder if that will cause an issue. 
2 NVMe on PCIe, 1 SATA SSD, 5 HDD RAID 0, 4 HDDs 
Also all PCIe is populated except shared GPU. 5 PCIe devices.

Thanks, I will test the suggestions. 

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/23 23:40:59 (permalink)
Wow! weird my secondary BIOS I had not used in quite a while was botched Would not post.. Why would that happen? it was fine last time I used it.
Any way fixed the BIOS updated to 2.08, used the switch method to write a new BIOS. 2.08 is the latest for my board. 
I was using 2.02 if I remember correctly it was the best performance. 

Memory defaults to 2666MHZ instead of 2133. Not using XMP, just automatic. My old kit was 2666 XMP.
So I will use this one for a while and see how it works out. I already know my NVMe wil take a huge hit, but see if the mouse issue goes away. 

And there it goes, while writing this post my mouse locked up stop responding for a second or 2, and the rate was all messed up.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/24 04:50:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mr_scary 2020/02/24 14:13:19
Does your motherboard have USB2 and USB3 ports? Try unplugging everything but the mouse and trying just one, then the other to see if the problem persists.

If the problem arises with USB3 ports - there's the issue. Or USB2 only.

If the problem doesn't crop up, another USB device is causing the issue. Add the keyboard back and see if it is the problem (don't add any other USB devices until you've tested however long it usually takes for the issue to pop up). Keep adding USB devices one at a time and testing to find the culprit.

Edit - external USB hubs should also be considered USB devices for the purpose of troubleshooting, if you have any.
post edited by arestavo - 2020/02/24 04:57:19
mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/24 13:57:31 (permalink)
I have tried this. I even tried removing PCIe devices as well. 
Fresh Windows installations, and minimum hardware. this was about 2 years ago. 
I have tried different ports, both 3.0 and 2.0 same issue

At the moment Keyboard and Mouse are the only USB devices powered on. 
However I do have a few things plugged in, but powered OFF I only turn on when needed. 

Keyboard: Microsoft - Ergonomic Keyboard (LXM-00001)
Mouse: Logitech (G703 Lightspeed) Currently using USB Corded not wireless
Printer: Brother Laser Printer (MFC-L2685DW) Powered OFF 
Synth: Yamaha (MM6) Motif Keyboard Powered OFF 
USB Hub: Fideco USB3.0 HDD hub caddy Powered OFF 
Webcam: Logitech (C920) Unplugged  

PCIe devices 
PE1 | X16 | RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra X16
PE2 | XXX | Not Used shared ^ 
PE3 | X4   | NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB 
PE4 | X4   | NVMe WD SN750 1TB 
PE5 | X1   | Soundblaster Z 
PE6 | X1   | TI Firewire Card for Saffire Pro 14 

The Firewire card, and Soundblaster have been persistent in this issue, and I have pointed my finger them in the past. 

But honestly the mouse hasn't had an issue in about hour or so testing these suggestions. 
I will wait another hour or more, then turn on something. I have opened and closed programs, and had the mouse pause out, but seems to be holding the polling rate. 
will post back in a couple hours.

And I appreciate the replies. 

Also cannot upload .BMP pictures which is the screenshot for EVGA BIOS. 
but there are some USB settings for Legacy, and XHCI mode. not sure if this will do anything. its at default value

Attached Image(s)

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/24 15:54:10 (permalink)
So...you unplugged the other devices and tested?

Or not, and just had them powered off? Because you should test with them unplugged - including the keyboard at first.
mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/24 16:55:17 (permalink)
Actually I'm still really testing the BIOS 2.08 first before doing your suggestion. 
It seems pretty solid so far. but sometimes this happens after a few minutes or a few hours, or it may not happen at all. 
All I know is when it does happen it's really noticeable,
because I'm like "WTH IS MY MOUSE DOING THIS FOR!!!" right when I'm selecting text in notepad or something doing HTML or whatever. and creating PDF files. 
it becomes hard to precisely select text, or even click on something small, like its overly sensitive.

And I have been doing emails, estimates, pictures, and stuff for work all day, so I need my keyboard right now. 
I will try your suggestion diligently when I have the time to not use my printer and keyboard. 

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/02/24 19:12:39 (permalink)
I will say the 2.08 BIOS is not showing the performance loss it was with previous BIOS after Specter Meltdown

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/03/16 01:26:21 (permalink)
Well I've tested this for quite a while with the new BIOS. 
Still having issues. 

Mainly while selecting text to copy, the mouse will lag out, and only get partial copy. 

I will have to really investigate this. 
- Mouse gets hung up, and lags out.
- I see the desktop refresh itself.
- The mouse cursor gets re-centered on the screen. 
- Drag & Drop issues where I cannot grab a file and move it. takes sometimes 3 or 4 tries
- All sorts of issues like this.

I can try unplugging everything but the mouse, but I really think its going to keep doing this.  
If I have time tomorrow I will unplug everything but the mouse and start the PC. and test it for a while. 

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/03/16 10:52:30 (permalink)
mr_scary
Well I've tested this for quite a while with the new BIOS. 
Still having issues. 

Mainly while selecting text to copy, the mouse will lag out, and only get partial copy. 

I will have to really investigate this. 
- Mouse gets hung up, and lags out.
- I see the desktop refresh itself.
- The mouse cursor gets re-centered on the screen. 
- Drag & Drop issues where I cannot grab a file and move it. takes sometimes 3 or 4 tries
- All sorts of issues like this.

I can try unplugging everything but the mouse, but I really think its going to keep doing this.  
If I have time tomorrow I will unplug everything but the mouse and start the PC. and test it for a while. 

When this happens, have you looked in the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools  to see if you're getting a display timeout or other error?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/03/18 12:52:53 (permalink)
let me check that. 

I just had a hella time trying to drag PDF files to emails today sending estimates to my customers. 

I opened a thread at Microsoft Communities, but I don't see it going to far.. 
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/mouse-cursor-issues-anomalies/e21a69f8-6e6d-43fb-9edd-58dbb207f013?tm=1584347922520

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/03/18 13:09:00 (permalink)
Funny thing I was trying to make a snip of the event viewer and it kept cutting me off before selecting the snip. 
nothing in event viewer for that anomaly. 

However the one that seems consistent is "Audit Success" every couple of minutes. 

Attached Image(s)

mr_scary
iCX Member
Re: X99 USB issues mouse polling rate crashing 2020/03/18 23:07:16 (permalink)
Okay so I just got a mouse freeze, and cursor recenter and this was in the event viewer at that exact moment. 
And also a WindowsUpdateClient Security Inteligence Update

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile