EVGA

Port reassignment

Author
Vivicector
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/02/19 07:57:36 (permalink)
Can I reassign the port to a different audio channel? Like redefining side to front in order to have 2 port playing front sound. Point is, my headphones are connected by 4 jacks (center, rear, front/sub, mic), and I also have stereo system. So, I will need to redefine the "side" channel to front in order to properly conntect my 5.1 headphones. Is that possible? Will the software allow it? 

6 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/19 13:36:21 (permalink)
    No, you can't reassign the ports. 

Which headphones do you have?
    Vivicector
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/19 18:51:06 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM
    No, you can't reassign the ports. 

Which headphones do you have?

That is sad. My Realtek can do it.
    I have CM Storm Sirus 5.1.
    Going the other way around, if I connect their fronts to headphone slot, will it all work properly? Will I be able to set the same volume for headphones (amplified) and other chanels (non-amplified)? 
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/20 10:14:24 (permalink)
    I think you have the connections off a little.  Your headset should work perfectly fine in 5.1 mode.  According to the manual, this is the breakdown:

You would simply plug the front connector into the RCA connectors (using the included adapter), the rear connector into the rear port, and the center/sub into the center/sub port.  You could connect the fronts to the Headphone Out...but I'll be honest when I say I haven't tried that sort of configuration myself.  I "think" it would work as you describe, because you can change the volume of the headphone amp, and you can certainly set the volume of the other speakers separately.

Edit:  It's not clear to me if the headphones actually require the USB for power (i.e. the headphones won't work at all if you don't plug the USB in).  If the headphones are separately powered (especially if they have a battery), then I wouldn't suggest to use the Headphone Out port, as that will supply even more power, which may not be a good thing for the headphones. 
    post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2020/02/20 11:35:01
    Vivicector
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/20 18:59:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answer!
    EVGATech_LeeM

You would simply plug the front connector into the RCA connectors (using the included adapter), the rear connector into the rear port, and the center/sub into the center/sub port.  You could connect the fronts to the Headphone Out...but I'll be honest when I say I haven't tried that sort of configuration myself.  I "think" it would work as you describe, because you can change the volume of the headphone amp, and you can certainly set the volume of the other speakers separately.

Edit:  It's not clear to me if the headphones actually require the USB for power (i.e. the headphones won't work at all if you don't plug the USB in).  If the headphones are separately powered (especially if they have a battery), then I wouldn't suggest to use the Headphone Out port, as that will supply even more power, which may not be a good thing for the headphones. 

The headphones need USB for RGB lighting only, so I don't connect it at all. 
    I am interested in connecting it to HP out cause my speaker system is connected via RCA, so having RCA-Jack AND Jack-RCA adapters at the same time seem kinda ridiculous for me.
    All in all, I believe I can safely order it now.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/21 14:09:52 (permalink)
    Vivicector
    Thanks for the answer!
    EVGATech_LeeM

The headphones need USB for RGB lighting only, so I don't connect it at all. 
    I am interested in connecting it to HP out cause my speaker system is connected via RCA, so having RCA-Jack AND Jack-RCA adapters at the same time seem kinda ridiculous for me.
    All in all, I believe I can safely order it now.

I see.  Keep in mind then, is that you will have a slightly different sound to the front speakers on the headphones due to a combination of using a different op-amp and the headphone amplifier.  More than likely you won't even notice that, however.

One thing you may run into a problem, though, is that if you are connecting the headphone and speakers at the same time, you'll likely have to manually turn off your L/R speakers connected to the RCA ports because you won't be able to toggle off the speakers and headphone selection when you want to run the headphones in 5.1 mode (turning off the speakers would also turn off the c/sub and rear output to the headphones).  When you want to just run your RCA speakers, you'll want to switch to Stereo (2 CH) and toggle off the headphone selector in the software. 
    Vivicector
    Re: Port reassignment 2020/02/23 00:00:12 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM

I see.  Keep in mind then, is that you will have a slightly different sound to the front speakers on the headphones due to a combination of using a different op-amp and the headphone amplifier.  More than likely you won't even notice that, however.

One thing you may run into a problem, though, is that if you are connecting the headphone and speakers at the same time, you'll likely have to manually turn off your L/R speakers connected to the RCA ports because you won't be able to toggle off the speakers and headphone selection when you want to run the headphones in 5.1 mode (turning off the speakers would also turn off the c/sub and rear output to the headphones).  When you want to just run your RCA speakers, you'll want to switch to Stereo (2 CH) and toggle off the headphone selector in the software. 

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I won't mind the OP amp difference since headphones are quite terrible at sound quality (being great at sound positioning at the same time), no chance to hear the subtle. As for the controls, yea, but it will do for now. Thanks for the warning! 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile