EVGA

Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 14:06:42 (permalink)
I chose evga for several reasons, and to be honest I took the potential quality for granted. Even though quality was not one of those reasons, I thought it was going to be a welcomed bonus. I didn't see anyone talking about this until I came to these forums.

I still want to continue with evga, but an RMA is my only option right now, and I'm worried that I would get an even louder and possibly slower card.

I regret calling this a "whine." Others were using that word and I followed along. I think that has given people the wrong idea. If I were the first to describe this I would probably have used buzz or buzzing. But even then it needs to be said that this is only closer to a buzz than a whine. It's like when a hum of a motor begins to get higher in frequency to the point of being called a buzz instead of a hum. But it's not a hard buzz. It's a soft type of buzz. A soft buzzing that's lower in tone than a coil whine, but louder.

I've seen a few people on here that did an RMA only to get another with the same issue. If only I could see more people talking about replacements that faired better then I'd be more willing to spend the time and money to do the same. :(

ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), i9-9900K 5.1GHz, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO, 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz, 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, Corsair RM1000x PSU, More fans than I can use, front intake, cpu&gpu aio top&back exhaust
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 16:33:06 (permalink)
Jiberish001
I chose evga for several reasons, and to be honest I took the potential quality for granted. Even though quality was not one of those reasons, I thought it was going to be a welcomed bonus. I didn't see anyone talking about this until I came to these forums.

I still want to continue with evga, but an RMA is my only option right now, and I'm worried that I would get an even louder and possibly slower card.

I regret calling this a "whine." Others were using that word and I followed along. I think that has given people the wrong idea. If I were the first to describe this I would probably have used buzz or buzzing. But even then it needs to be said that this is only closer to a buzz than a whine. It's like when a hum of a motor begins to get higher in frequency to the point of being called a buzz instead of a hum. But it's not a hard buzz. It's a soft type of buzz. A soft buzzing that's lower in tone than a coil whine, but louder.

I've seen a few people on here that did an RMA only to get another with the same issue. If only I could see more people talking about replacements that faired better then I'd be more willing to spend the time and money to do the same. :(

I didn't look at the entire thread, sorry if this has already been asked, but if it's more of a buzz than a whine, did you open up the shroud to see if the fan cable or something else is slightly touching the fan, which might cause a 'buzzing' type noise which would increase as fan speed increases?

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 16:55:04 (permalink)
I've inspected under the shroud two times thoroughly, when I was disconnecting and reconnecting the pump. Everything is in perfect condition.

It's not the type of buzz from an object being hit rapidly. This is why I say it is a soft buzz and not a hard buzz. The fridge sound analogy is close too, but it's not that bad. It's a similar type of sound like a fridge condenser, but quieter and softer.

The vrm fan is great. It's an actual evga fan and super quiet and efficient. The asetek pump is just bad. I personally believe that this particular pump is one of their cheapest, and that the noise is probably due to the size of the pump's fan being too small.

ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), i9-9900K 5.1GHz, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO, 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz, 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, Corsair RM1000x PSU, More fans than I can use, front intake, cpu&gpu aio top&back exhaust
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 19:46:14 (permalink)
Jiberish001
I've inspected under the shroud two times thoroughly, when I was disconnecting and reconnecting the pump. Everything is in perfect condition.

It's not the type of buzz from an object being hit rapidly. This is why I say it is a soft buzz and not a hard buzz. The fridge sound analogy is close too, but it's not that bad. It's a similar type of sound like a fridge condenser, but quieter and softer.

The vrm fan is great. It's an actual evga fan and super quiet and efficient. The asetek pump is just bad. I personally believe that this particular pump is one of their cheapest, and that the noise is probably due to the size of the pump's fan being too small.

If it is really a cheap pump, then I wouldn't want it near my computer... I'd hate to see it go.
Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 20:20:58 (permalink)
Admittedly "cheap" is subjective. I'm not saying it's so bad that it's flawed to the point of potential failure, or that it cannot do its job properly. The pump still seems to do a good job of circulating the water well enough, and my temps are really good under load. I just think that asetek used the smallest pump fan that they could get away with while maintaining functional quality, which in turn makes the audible quality not very good. Fans with smaller fins need to spin faster to move the same amount of water that a larger fan would move. A smaller and faster spinning fan will be more audible (with a higher frequency) than a larger slower fan. This cannot tell me how well the functional quality will hold out over time. A larger slower fan could potentially break down sooner if the build quality is bad. So just to be clear on this, the pump is doing well in its job. It's just not good sound quality wise.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 20:46:29 (permalink)
Jiberish001
Admittedly "cheap" is subjective. I'm not saying it's so bad that it's flawed to the point of potential failure, or that it cannot do its job properly. The pump still seems to do a good job of circulating the water well enough, and my temps are really good under load. I just think that asetek used the smallest pump fan that they could get away with while maintaining functional quality, which in turn makes the audible quality not very good. Fans with smaller fins need to spin faster to move the same amount of water that a larger fan would move. A smaller and faster spinning fan will be more audible (with a higher frequency) than a larger slower fan. This cannot tell me how well the functional quality will hold out over time. A larger slower fan could potentially break down sooner if the build quality is bad. So just to be clear on this, the pump is doing well in its job. It's just not good sound quality wise.

When you say fan, you mean pump and you're talking about the impeller inside the pump. What you could be experiencing is the impeller causing the pump housing to vibrate. I had this issue with my 1080 Ti. A piece of felt pad between the top of the pump housing and the GPU shroud, eliminated it.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/02/17 21:40:30 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Jiberish001

When you say fan, you mean pump and you're talking about the impeller inside the pump. What you could be experiencing is the impeller causing the pump housing to vibrate. I had this issue with my 1080 Ti. A piece of felt pad between the top of the pump housing and the GPU shroud, eliminated it.

I actually had that very thought earlier today, but I have not had the opportunity to test it yet.
When I was disconnecting and reconnecting the pump (especially when I reconnected) I did notice that there is virtually no room between the pump and the shroud, if there is any at all. So today I was thinking that MAYBE if the shroud is touching the pump just slightly it could be causing a vibration. I do intend to test this maybe tomorrow, but I then did an ear test just a bit ago that has me skeptical of this vibration. I used a rolled up piece of paper up to my ear and was pointing it around the card to see where the noise was the loudest, and it was loud towards the back plate and a lot more quiet near the point where the shroud meets the pump. The loudest sounds come from the back plate, just below (above really) the pump. When I was doing this I also accidentally found that if I put the paper directly onto the hoses I could hear the normal pump vibrations. After discovering this I then place the paper onto my cpu pump hoses for comparison. I use a corsair H100i for my cpu. I found that my cpu's pump sound (as heard from the paper tube touching the hose) was a lower hum than that of the gpu's higher hum. This correlates to my theory of the asetek pump fan being smaller.

turbanator
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/03/26 23:02:42 (permalink)
Did you end up RMAing?
daverhodus
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/03/27 16:41:18 (permalink)
Has EVGA said anything about the pump noise problem?

I had the 1080ti hybrid, which was very quiet. I got the 2080ti hybrid to replace it and immediately regretted it. I could hear the pump from the next room.  I wound up returning it. I hope EVGA comes up with a quieter solution when the 3080ti comes out.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/03/27 16:45:10 (permalink)
My hybrid kit pump is pretty quiet at 7.5v with cable mod and starts consistently at boot.  Masked by 35% card fan speed and 1000 rpm Noctua A12 fans.  These are idle / low use settings, 26C typical. Pain in the neck to set up.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/03/27 16:47:46
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/03/29 13:54:36 (permalink)
I solved pump noise problem :)

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
JasonEB03
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 06:06:42 (permalink)
I've owned multiple GPUs from EVGA. I always buy the Hybrid FTW3 verison of the latest model. I recently (yesterday switched out my 1080ti Hybrid FTW3 for the 2080ti Hybrid FTW3.
I can tell you without a doubt I have NEVER had this issue until now!

IT IS NOT THE FAN
IT IS THE PUMP

IT IS NOT A USAGE ISSUE IT IS A MANUFACTURING ISSUE.

It is not a whine. It sound's exactly like a Refrigerator except it is Constant, loud and very annoying. When you pay $1500 for a high quality GPU and have a crap quality pump attached to it they need to fight this with their new pump distributor.

United States Airborne Infantry
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 07:45:20 (permalink)
JasonEB03
I've owned multiple GPUs from EVGA. I always buy the Hybrid FTW3 verison of the latest model. I recently (yesterday switched out my 1080ti Hybrid FTW3 for the 2080ti Hybrid FTW3.
I can tell you without a doubt I have NEVER had this issue until now!

IT IS NOT THE FAN
IT IS THE PUMP

IT IS NOT A USAGE ISSUE IT IS A MANUFACTURING ISSUE.

It is not a whine. It sound's exactly like a Refrigerator except it is Constant, loud and very annoying. When you pay $1500 for a high quality GPU and have a crap quality pump attached to it they need to fight this with their new pump distributor.

:( bummer, seems like luck of the draw.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

ikeike
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 13:30:15 (permalink)
1 year on and people are still debating this. I dunno whats worst the EVGA fan boys trying to call it "coil whine" or EVGA themselves for not mentioning a word about this and acknowledging the problem. I was one of the unfortunate people that bought the 2080ti Hybrid (coming from a 980ti hybrid which was fully quiet), 1 month on i refunded it and went with the air cooled version, that's how bad the noise was. If anyone is thinking of buying the hybrid, don't, it is LOUDER than a fridge, the 1/999999999 ppl who are saying they have silent pumps have probably very low frequency sensitivity. 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 14:17:16 (permalink)
Gotta love those asetek pumps.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 14:24:41 (permalink)
ikeike
1 year on and people are still debating this. I dunno whats worst the EVGA fan boys trying to call it "coil whine" or EVGA themselves for not mentioning a word about this and acknowledging the problem. I was one of the unfortunate people that bought the 2080ti Hybrid (coming from a 980ti hybrid which was fully quiet), 1 month on i refunded it and went with the air cooled version, that's how bad the noise was. If anyone is thinking of buying the hybrid, don't, it is LOUDER than a fridge, the 1/999999999 ppl who are saying they have silent pumps have probably very low frequency sensitivity. 

No issues with low freq sensitivity here, plus my Mrs and my daughter also don't hear any whine or 'fridge noise' at all. I got lucky perhaps. You saying that I don't have a good one is about as smart as me saying that everyone saying that have a noisy one are liars and need their ears checked lol. Find out how many were sold, and then how many had complaints / returned because of noise. I'm guessing the problem ones are a lot less frequent than you think, but people don't post angry rants complaining about not having anything wrong with their hybrid cards, lol. However you're quite right to be pissed if you got a dud. Shouldn't be happening at all on a card this expensive.

ikeike
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 14:39:03 (permalink)
Nereus
ikeike

No issues with low freq sensitivity here, plus my Mrs and my daughter also don't hear any whine or 'fridge noise' at all. I got lucky perhaps. You saying that I don't have a good one is about as smart as me saying that everyone saying that have a noisy one are liars and need their ears checked lol. Find out how many were sold, and then how many had complaints / returned because of noise. I'm guessing the problem ones are a lot less frequent than you think, but people don't post angry rants complaining about not having anything wrong with their hybrid cards, lol. However you're quite right to be pissed if you got a dud. Shouldn't be happening at all on a card this expensive.

Video please. I need to see it to believe it. People have RMA’d up to 3 times and still had the same issue. I am yet to see a video of an evga hybrid STOCK which is silent. If you are lucky then you are one in a zillion lucky, I doubt the people with quieter ones exceed the ones with the stock pump noise, that’s just the way it’s designed, they do not see it as a flow, that’s the point. So i would say you are the one with the faulty pump as yours is abnormal.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 14:59:13 (permalink)
ikeike
Video please. I need to see it to believe it. People have RMA’d up to 3 times and still had the same issue. I am yet to see a video of an evga hybrid STOCK which is silent. If you are lucky then you are one in a zillion lucky, I doubt the people with quieter ones exceed the ones with the stock pump noise, that’s just the way it’s designed, they do not see it as a flow, that’s the point. So i would say you are the one with the faulty pump as yours is abnormal.

LOL ok then, here ya go.. it was running at 50% fans via Precision X1. No whine. Also note there are 3 x 120mm intake fans just to the right of the video, so the whooshing noise is coming from there, the card is mostly very quiet, unless you crank it right up to 100% fan speed, then the internal fan is pretty loud, but that's to be expected.

ikeike
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/22 20:21:35 (permalink)
I actually can kind of hear the whine noise in the background? Next time kindly don’t run the fans at 50%, and leave them at 0 as the fans are quite noisy and can mask the noise..
tattude69
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/23 08:49:25 (permalink)
If you want product quality to change stop buying the product and they will fix it. As long as people buy and then **** nothing will change. Speak with your wallet and not your mouth and they will listen. Actions always speak louder then words.

whiskywarrior
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Is 2080 ti ftw3 ultra hybrid noise still an issue? 2020/04/23 08:58:18 (permalink)
I have had issues with a couple of Gen 5 Asetek pumps but it seems less of an issue with Gen 6 like what is on the new Kingpin cards. It really was luck of the draw when it came to Gen 5 pumps from any manufacturer that used them, I had to RMA 3 different products, not all from EVGA too.

9900K w/ EVGA CLC 360 and EVGA 2080Ti KPE on ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile