2080ti ftw3 ultra hybrid gaming thermal throttle

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: 2080ti ftw3 ultra hybrid gaming thermal throttle 2020/07/23 01:26:57 (permalink)
Jiberish001
More work is not being done with the same energy.

It is.

Because efficiency changing with temperature. 
One more time - just read how it works and why it works instead of guessing.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
Jiberish001
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 2080ti ftw3 ultra hybrid gaming thermal throttle 2020/07/23 13:26:10 (permalink)
I'm not guessing. You just keep failing to understand what I'm saying. You're also being a with your constant insults just because we disagree.

Look at it this way.... Most of the energy is being used to do work, but some of that energy is being lost through resistance and turned into heat, causing more heat. When you lower the heat and it affects resistance it is allowing some of that lost heat (through resistance) to be used for the work. It's not more work for same energy. It's more energy utilized for more work. I'm not saying more energy is being added. Just used.
post edited by Sajin - 2020/07/23 14:01:55

ROG Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), i9-9900K 5.1GHz, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO, 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz, 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming, Corsair RM1000x PSU, More fans than I can use, front intake, cpu&gpu aio top&back exhaust
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: 2080ti ftw3 ultra hybrid gaming thermal throttle 2020/07/24 03:04:28 (permalink)
Jiberish001
Look at it this way.... Most of the energy is being used to do work, but some of that energy is being lost through resistance and turned into heat, causing more heat. When you lower the heat and it affects resistance it is allowing some of that lost heat (through resistance) to be used for the work. It's not more work for same energy. It's more energy utilized for more work. I'm not saying more energy is being added. Just used.

Thats what called "guesses".

First of all voltage is not "energy", current is. Dropping temperature result in lower resistance and higher current, so energy is rising, but that is not the point of thermal boost.
Most energy loses and heat comes from leakage, not from resistance. Leakages results in local overheats and disturbing stability. And the point of thermal boost is that on lower temperatures efficiency and stability of silicon transistors increasing (or better say it is decreasing with heating), that allows you to either drop voltage (and drop current) or increase frequency.

So once again: thermal boost is not "pump more voltage because you have some headroom in temperatures!", and not "thermal throttling", and not "more work with same energy". Whole idea of thermal boost is that on lower temperatures silicon die works "better". Because leakage is lower than on higher temperatures.
But overall profit from thermal boost is quite low to think about "loosing it" and being dissapointed about that.
post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2020/07/24 03:06:35

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile